New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2020-03-27 06:26:07

Terraformer
Website

Re: Housekeeping

Ah, Twitch. Used mostly by gamers for streaming?

Maybe we should have an online conference, for members to talk about whatever it is they're working on, or have worked on in the past.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#27 2020-03-27 14:39:26

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re #26

Thank you for additional information on Twitch!

It makes perfect sense to me that the people in this particular tech group would be conversant with gaming technology.  For the most part, the members are young enough to have (very likely) become actively engaged in gaming at some point.  On the other hand, most presentations are on subjects that relate to the more prosaic activity of making a living by meeting (or in some cases, exceeding) customer expectations.

We'll have to help SpaceNut to be able to afford a high speed internet connection, in order for an online conference of this type to be practical.

There should be fiber cable running close to New Hamshire.

Here is a hint quoted by Google:

Rural broadband push in N.H. gets new life - Granite Geekgranitegeek.concordmonitor.com › 2019/11/07 › rural-broadband-pu...
Nov 7, 2019 - Rural broadband push in N.H. gets new life ... “Folks have finally realized that existing carriers are not going to give it to them. ... Starting next year CCI will string fiber-optic to all homes in that town of 3,500, which approved a ..

(th)

#28 2020-03-27 15:20:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

Many cable companies have converted many of the transmission lines from copper to fiber in the area as well as some phone lines as well but its that $130 a month for throttled service that just is not happening.

My device can be moved to sprint once I solve how to create and account for the device which is in there system already or wait until it expires to add it in mostly clean account just need some more time to wander the sprint web site.

Today spent time on a windows 7 laptop that is pretty beat up for doing the taxes and the software whined a few times about wanting windows 10 but its done.

The windows 10 machine plug n play is within 4 seconds on insertion of a designated usb product that can not install or resolve what the device, disables the port where its been pluged into. I think this was done to stop people from plugging in there cellphone or ecig's for recharging of those devices as that is not what usb was intended for.

#29 2020-03-27 17:24:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re USB hub issue in Post #28

It's an option to use a powered hub, in a situation such as the one you've described.  The powered hub is connected to the computer, and its ports then supply the devices with power.  This procedure adds another layer between the device and the computer, but my experience has been that it doesn't make any difference in performance.

Such powered hubs are (relatively) affordable.

(th)

#30 2020-03-28 07:18:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Daily Martian Business Calendar report ...

Thank you again for finding the link to "theskylive.com" display of the current (computed) location of Mars.

It takes a bit longer to prepare the daily post, but the new information of the distance of Mars from the Sun shows the accelerating decrease in the radius of the ellipse as the planet moves into the more rapid phase of its progress.

(th)

#31 2020-03-28 09:08:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

You are quite welcome...

I sometimes will use different word ordering, other web search programs when trying to find information that relates to a topic as the code for these all respond differently for how it will answer the meta data used for the search from a web page. Use differnt words that mean the same will also find new links to the information you are looking for as well.

Thats like the links for do it yourself as we will be needing those sort of skils to make things from what we have. The apollo 13 is a prime example of thinking about solving the problem.
I did do a bit of searching for the how to for ventilators sure its not medical quality but life is about saving it not that it meets regulations....

edit
first link in the post which has content in the not so free chat due to its part of the war powers act comments for using US business to make things that they do not normally make.

#32 2020-03-28 09:33:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #31

Did you post information about ventilators?

I try to read everything you post, but may have missed something.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-03-28 14:13:16)

#33 2020-03-28 13:56:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Telepresence/Teleoperation

This is a topic that would apply to Mars as well as the Earth.  People inside comfortable habitats on Mars are very likely to perform a wide variety of tasks remotely. 

The present biological emergency on Earth could be alleviated to a considerable extend if telepresence/teleoperation robots were further along.  Any number of jobs could be carried out by telepresence/teleoperation equipment operated from the employee's home.  One example of countless ones is selecting food on supermarket shelves for customers to pick up at the front door. 

If you are interested in seeing if this potential new topic has legs, please consider where it might go in the newmars structure.

If your employer were equipped to use telepresence/teleoperation equipment, they would provide you with the high speed fiber connection needed to support their operations, and you would enjoy that connection for personal use after hours, as a benefit of the new way of working.

This would hold true for many millions of workers in the global economy.

Edit#1: The type of capability I am talking about is illustrated by US Military (and CIA) drone operators.  They are experiencing "telepresence" in the sense that they are seeing the terrain where they are operating, and they are operating the vehicle.

From Google:

Telepresence refers to a set of technologies which allow a person to feel as if they were present, to give the appearance that they were present, or to have an effect, at a location other than their true location. Teleoperation is the operation of a machine at a distance.

telepresence, teleoperation & telerobotics - IDC Technologieswww.idc-online.com › pdfs › electronic_engineering › Telepresence_...
PDF

For an employee to be productive in a remote situation, they would need both capabilities. 

We (those of us who have smart phones or computers with Internet connection) can experience telepresence already.  What is needed for an economy built on telepresence/teleoperation is the capability to operate whatever equipment is on site in the employer facility.  That might (as just one example) consist of a smart fork lift, which would allow the remote operator to pick up and deliver pallets.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-03-28 14:42:12)

#34 2020-03-28 18:17:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

I added your post to the topic you had started on the robotics use. Should have used a robotic battery charger for my earthly rover as my adult family had been in the vehicle using the radio most of the day and when I went to use it the battery was dead sure could have used a nuclear powered recharger for sure. Not to meantion that a POD car pedal powered source for energy would have fitted the bill as well. Recumbent topic...Found myold excell file for creating topic index as part of the forum restore...

#35 2020-03-31 09:30:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re wireless hot spot..

South-Western City Schools is sending home wireless hot spots with families who lack internet access, after paying about $60,000 for 3,000 devices, Superintendent Bill Wise said. The district is the state’s sixth-largest, with more than 21,000 students, including those at Grames’ school.

Would you like for me to try to find out what the school district is sending home? It doesn't sound like a USB hub like you are using, and it doesn't sound like the smartphone hub/router I've been thinking about using.

Here's a product that I'd not heard of before.  It appears to be a Wi-Fi router that connects to a 4G network:

ALTA 4G LTE Cellular Gateway

$220.00
Part #
MNG2-9-LTE-CCE-2YVZW
Region | Frequency
United-States - 900 MHz

Product Variations
ALTA Industrial Cellular Gateway

Edit #2: In pursuing this question, I found there exists a product that connects to a 4G network and delivers Wi-Fi locally, but it is (apparently) useful only in Europe or other nations which do not use a technology used by Sprint, Verizon and a number of other carriers.

At this point, I'm not clear on the details, but note that at ** this ** point, I do not know if the ALTA Cellular Gateway works with Sprint, Verizon, etc.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-03-31 10:55:01)

#36 2020-03-31 14:25:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

My device is a dual 3/4g product and it gets no 4g signal at all.
Did a bit more checking with regards to finding out about the phone number its assigned verus the s/n on the product and found that the servie for the s/n is under the sprint network but the phone number is not and that is part of the issue as the accounts are transfered by cell phone number asvirgin mobile closes up shop and moves the accounts to boost. At which I can then once its does lapse create a new account over on sprint for the s/n and get a new cell number assigned for the device.
This will get me through until I find a viable solution that does not cost an arm and leg to have if one is simular in costs. Right now the only other option is to buy a wifi tethered cellphone and pay the extra funds for it from straight talk. Send signal out of the computer to the cellphone wifi input and then to the cell tower from the phone.
Will look at the ALTA device to see if we have 4g in the area on any carriers but its doubtful at this time.

#37 2020-03-31 19:48:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

First, I took a look at the user list, after your comment in another topic, and was amazed to see the number of robot generated names you've had to ban in the past day or so.  Good Grief!   I've been looking in on the FluxBB site, and keeping spam out is an ongoing topic. 

Second, good luck in your quest for a 3g/4g connection capability.  I hope the Alta device will work with US service companies, but it may not.

Third ... the present global situation is such that we may lose members without a chance for them to let us know they are in trouble.

quaoar told us of his expected service in support of his country.  Others have revealed concerns about health.

I hope everyone who's been a member for a while, or just for a short time, will come through the present period safely.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-03-31 19:49:10)

#38 2020-03-31 22:16:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Finally went back through all accounts created in 2020 and now have gotten in 11-2019 reviewing the many fake accounts created from the spamming websites. 14 pages worth....

#39 2020-04-01 06:35:09

tahanson43206

Congratulations on this massive undertaking!

Here's something positive to see in the constant barrage of fake accounts ....

In contrast to this forum, which is active on a daily basis, another forum I visit each week is very quiet.

That forum has VERY few fake registrations.  It ** does ** have an occasional one, but for weeks there won't be one.

From only two data points, it is risky to draw any conclusions, but I'll make a wild guess anyway.

If a forum is active, it is more likely to receive attention by the spam artists than a forum which is not active.

I notice that you are banning the random number generated ID's, and giving the ID's which look halfway reasonable a chance to post spam so they can be banned as well.

Thanks for making this massive effort.

(th)

#40 2020-04-02 10:11:21

elderflower

Brilliant progress. Well done Spacenut.

#41 2020-04-02 12:19:57

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

We could look into requiring a response E-mail for registration to be filled out that's detailed enough to deter spammer bots from posting here.

#42 2020-04-02 14:14:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

With a peak bot generated accounts to go to an email box in which the payloads could be virus containing.
We have also in the past done the email server blocking and all they do is move to a new name.

The purging of the banned will not help with the deletion of the account as they will just keep reusing the same details so the only thing to do is just ban which blocks that part of account creation.

#43 2020-04-02 15:19:10

Void

Hi, looks like I could eat a bit of crow.  Apologize for my rude departure.  Obviously since I get to stay in my house now I could use something extra to do during the days.  That is if you are going to be comfortable with me being here again.  I will try to behave.  Mostly stay out of the way as I may be able to.

VOID

I will check back maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Void (2020-04-02 15:19:48)

Done.

#44 2020-04-02 15:58:27

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

There are ways around these problems.  We should chat some time to figure out what you want to do.

#45 2020-04-02 16:03:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Hello void welcome back, no eating of crow as that could lead to bird FLU...

Kbd512 I think removing the normal login creation account feature would be to make it hidden is the best option as to get the ability you would need to send a real email to get access not just a reply.

#46 2020-04-02 17:23:17

tahanson43206

For Void re #43

Welcome back!  As you will see if you check the posts immediately after your last post, where you said "I am done" instead of just "done" I assumed you meant it, and that quite possibly something had happened in your life to make the departure necessary.  We have several (potentially) interesting topics under way which I think would benefit from your highly creative thinking, so I hope you will take a look at one or two of them.

For SpaceNut re #45 ... The idea of changing the application process to require an email to an address you create just for that purpose (or use one that exists) seems to me like a useful/worthwhile direction to look.

Please keep newmarsmember@google.com in mind ... I've not been checking that account, but if I could figure out how to have it notify me of incoming traffic, I'd be willing to tend it.  There are likely to be ** very ** few legitimate applications for membership.  Only Calliban comes to mind as someone who joined in the past year or so, and has made a significant contribution.  There may be others who've slipped my mind, and if so, I apologize.

Heck ... I could turn newmarsmember@google.com over to you if that would make sense, or your could easily create your own account for that purpose.

(th)

#47 2020-04-03 14:27:17

Void

Spacenut and tahanson43206,

Thanks

Done.

#48 2020-04-11 06:46:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... your last post was 2020-04-09 01:42:41

I hope all is well there in your part of New Hampshire!

The Cases by County map for New Hampshire still shows a good number without cases, or with just 1-4, as of April 10th.

(th)

#49 2020-04-12 07:15:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... your last post was 2020-04-09 01:42:41

I hope all is well there in your part of New Hampshire!

However, today I'm moving to best wishes for dealing with whatever is happening there!

This is a good time to remember Quaoar, who left his home (and relative safety) to join the battle against the virus in Italy.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-04-12 07:29:14)

#50 2020-04-13 06:03:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... your last post was 2020-04-09 01:42:41  Today is 2010-04-13

Best wishes for dealing with whatever is happening there in New Hampshire.

For moderators .... in the absence of SpaceNut, there are opportunities to deal with three recent Spam candidates.

For Quaoar ... best wishes for protection while helping your patients in Italy.

Void: Please consider creating a new topic in the Interplanetary Transportation Index level topic for "Bubble Balloon Gas Delivery for Mars" or whatever suits you.  I'd like to see that topic developed into a business.  The evidence from Earth that your idea will work is pretty strong.  Hydrogen filled balloons work just fine on Earth, and my understanding is they will work just fine on Mars.  The Dead Stop scenario is the one that ** I think ** makes the bubble idea practical.

It should be possible to work out the physics of various size containers and various gas contents for optimum performance, both from a physical point of view, and from a cost effectiveness point of view.

It might even turn out that a balloon/bubble concept (with Dead Stop) would serve well for gentle, safe delivery of human passengers to Mars.

In another topic, kbd512 has recently brought to our attention a possible rocket engine technology that produces an ISP of 800 using only liquid water and microwave energy to make plasma.  That might be considered for the Dead Stop Balloon Delivery system, combined with use if Phobos as a staging platform.

Edit#1: The last User ID banned by SpaceNut was HenriqueX on  April 8th

Since then 50 more User ID's have accumulated, and several of these have tested their ability to post nonsense.

Let us assume (for the moment and until advised otherwise) that SpaceNut is in good health but cut off from the Internet.

How many moderators are still standing?  I have seen RobertDyck and kbd512 on the forum recently.

Is there anyone else available to pick up the Spam cleaning that SpaceNut was doing?

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-04-13 09:33:07)

Board footer