New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-03 11:13:31

Byron

Re: Daylight Savings Time (summer time) - what do you think of it?

Just a whimsical little poll...  big_smile

B

#2 2004-04-03 11:27:59

Palomar

*2nd choice for me.  I do love the longer evening hours; however, I get up so dangblamed early in the morning to work and I dislike long, dark hours with beginning work (I feel I should be back in bed, snoozing).  I've gotten accustomed to bright and sunny mornings these past few months...

Oh well.  smile 

[Thanks Benjamin Franklin]

--Cindy  :laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-04-03 11:43:00

Byron

This reminds me of when we went on DST during the '73-'74 oil crisis in order to save energy.  Thing was, this caused kids to have to go to school in the dark, which posed unnecessary risk to the kids, etc.  So what did my local school district do to solve this problem?  They shifted school opening times an hour later, of course...lol.  I was fine with this at first, as it seemed to just put things back to what they were, but when I got home at 4 pm instead of 3 pm, and went to watch my favorite TV show (cartoon hour..lol), it was already over!  Surely the TV people would have put on my show an hour later, just like the school...but noooo....LOLOL  tongue   And boy, I just threw the biggest fit about the whole thing with the daylight savings time, which did absolutely nothing except to take away my favorite TV show.

Perhaps I should have voted for #4....maybe we really are fooling ourselves...lol.  tongue

#4 2004-04-03 12:45:55

Cobra Commander

No. 4.

The only way I'd like the arrangement would be if I could give or take an hour at my discretion.  big_smile

But instead the clock in my car will be wrong for another six months... Or rather out of sync with the majority's perception of time.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2004-04-03 14:23:50

Mad Grad Student
Website

I voted #4, but I'm probably not qualified to vote at all. In Arizona we don't switch to DST, which has the odd effect of putting all TV back an hour during the summer. Sometimes it's a little annoying, but it's something you just get used to. It's definately easier to adjust to changing TV schedules than to adjust bedtime, probably.

In any case, #4 was the only one that didn't have to be based on direct experience with DST.  smile

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#6 2004-04-05 07:28:32

clark

Where did the hour go?

Is it me, or does anyone else feel like they live inside a madhouse?

"Oh, of course! Let's all agree that time has 'leaped' forward, or 'fallen' back. Yes, yes, now be a good boy and take your pills."

Wacky humans. Stupid time.

#7 2004-04-05 11:52:05

Earthfirst

what is day light saving time? where I live the clocks are never changed, I dont have to get up an hour early, or have to reset my clocks. The only problem is that states in my same time zone do so that we might have the same time of california then colorado latter in the year. what real troubling is that tv shows time swicth.  Since every thing is based on california time or easthern time zones. No one cares about Mountian time zone  sad . People, maps think that the only city that matters in MST is denver. I been to Denver an it is just some two bit paire town. There is more paire dogs then people their, and the people seem unturst worthy. Like those people selling tee shirt that said "I surived colonbine!"
Can you guess where I live? A clue not in that hick red neck state of colorado!

I love plants!

#8 2023-03-11 12:03:27

Mars_B4_Moon

'Daylight saving time' is ending?

I'm sure there was already a discussion somewhere on if Mars should change its clocks in winter and summer. Coordinated Universal Time or UTC the standard by which the world regulates clocks within about one second of mean solar time (such as UT1) at 0° longitude (at the IERS Reference Meridian as the currently used prime meridian, not adjusted for daylight saving time a successor to Greenwich Mean Time GMT the British an advanced maritime nation, the clock Sailors, military and Navy merchant used.

Clocks: Spring Forward and Never Fall Back Again?

UTC Time Standard

Americans do not favor adjusting their clocks twice a year, but they can’t seem to agree on what to do about it. In 2019 an AP-NORC poll revealed that 31% of those surveyed favored staying on daylight savings time all year. That number went up in 2022, according to a Monmouth University poll which showed that 44% want to keep daylight savings time. Only 35% say we should keep springing forward and falling back an hour yearly.

Such division has kept the pro and anti-clock-switching lobby busy, forcing many representatives from different parts of the country to form geographical coalitions. Sen. Wendell Ford (D-KY) said, “It is just each coast that is in favor of this. The core of this great country apparently is not.” However, it isn’t quite as simple as Ford makes it out to be. Only Hawaii and Arizona have chosen not to participate in the bi-annual clock-changing ritual. Both states stay on standard time.

At the forefront of the bipartisan permanent DST effort are Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL), Ed Markey (D-MA), and Patty Murray (D-WA). Despite strong support in the senate from both sides of the political aisle, movers and shakers in the nation’s capital aren’t optimistic about finding a solution to the time change conundrum because key congressional committee leaders that need to approve the legislation remain ambivalent.

https://www.libertynation.com/clocks-sp … ack-again/

#9 2023-03-11 12:58:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

I would settle for just the half hour with this leaving it but its going to be the full hour and that wii be an issue for higher energy being used.

Board footer