New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-17 14:32:50

anansi

Re: Burning Man and mars closest approach - outreach opportunity?

So lately I've been thinking about what kind of theme camp I want to be part of for 2003 burning man.
(www.burningman.com if you're curious)

I also just noticed that the red planet will be making its closest approach to the earth (a mere 35 million miles!) on August 27th this year, 5 days before the man burns.

This suggests an opportunity to do some mars-related space outreach. Geodesic domes are common on the playa, some of them could be scale models of the planets. There is *lots* of open space on the playa, this could be used to demonstrate orbits.

If we wanted to get fancy, (and who doesn't?) we could have video tape running in the background, showing films with martian-analog themes (tatooine in star wars, Dune, the road warrior, Priscilla, all have pop culture ties to our future on mars)

I don't know if I'm whistling in the dark, or preaching to the choir: has anyone here been to burning man? Is anyone here planning on going to burning man? Does mars-themed art have any appeal?

There are 8 months in which to plan such craziness, so now's the time to start dreaming...

Board footer