New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-05-30 13:14:14

Void

Pluto Realms

I at first was not at all enthusiastic about what could be done with Pluto, Charon, and the small moons of the system.

However, in a solar civilization, I now see that metals and other non-icy materials could be sent to Pluto/Charon to start up a subpart of that civilization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto
Quote:

New Horizons observations showed that atmospheric escape of nitrogen to be 10,000 times less than expected.[121] Alan Stern has contended that even a small increase in Pluto's surface temperature can lead to exponential increases in Pluto's atmospheric density; from 18 hPa to as much as 280 hPa (three times that of Mars to a quarter that of the Earth). At such densities, nitrogen could flow across the surface as liquid.

So, I gather if a relatively small amount of additional energy were added to the atmosphere of Pluto, perhaps an air pressure suitable to humans.  Still a tricky environment, liquid Nitrogen rivers and such.  But not that much worse than Saturn's moon Titan.

As for atmospheric loss, if that is somehow a concern, then an artificial magnetic field perhaps to help retain atmosphere.

As for metals and other non-icy materials, I suggest mass producing tiny robot spacecraft that can navigate on the solar wind.  One possible electrical power source for them would be the difference between their speed and that of the solar wind.

The intention is that they would impact themselves to an atmosphere or surface of Pluto or one of it's moons.

The way this would be paid for would be in the building of habitats for humans to move to.

However, in the long term, I would want to mine Charon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon

I am aware that the ice layer is very thick.  However, I am thinking it could be removed to a new moon, or synthetic gravity machines.

The new moon would be so large that it could have a sea inside.  Inside the sea, human habitats.

Once the ice had been sufficiently removed from Charon, then a sea would be established with a pressure on the rocky surface of Charon of pressures tolerable to mining.  Over time, the pressure could be reduced to an average of 1 Bar.

So, then if humans could rise to such a level of ability then Kepler belt Dwarf planets of a small size could become sources of minerals.

Then off to the Oort cloud.

Energy for this?  Well some would say solar concentrating mirrors, but I am guessing that fusion will eventually become a human ability.

I am interested in the Barycenter between Pluto and Charon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barycenter
Quote:

When the two bodies are of similar masses, the barycenter will generally be located between them and both bodies will follow an orbit around it. This is the case for Pluto and Charon,

So, the question is if the atmosphere of Pluto were inflated to 1 bar, (If that is possible), would the Barycenter be within the atmosphere of Pluto?  If so, then could you fly a winged aircraft to the barycenter?  Just items of curiosity.

Done

Last edited by Void (2018-05-30 13:38:09)

Done.

Board footer