New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-05-09 05:18:14

louis

3D printing - strong progress

Good to see strong progress being made in 3D printing in space.

https://www.space.com/40516-made-in-spa … tract.html

This will be a vital technology for both the Earth-Mars transit and for creating an industrial infrastructure on Mars.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2018-05-09 16:29:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: 3D printing - strong progress

This is the company trying to work on this ability onboard the ISS. There are many things being made for rockets these days from the various 3D processes and materials from the also wide variety of machines. Not all 3D printings are equal for the finished product or costs and that includes the quality level as well.

#3 2018-05-09 20:07:49

louis

The project seems to be going well. I can only presume that doing 3D printing in 0.38 G is a lot easier than in zero G.  But the Mars Mission will probably need some emergency zero G capability for 3D printing so I really welcome this project.

SpaceNut wrote:

This is the company trying to work on this ability onboard the ISS. There are many things being made for rockets these days from the various 3D processes and materials from the also wide variety of machines. Not all 3D printings are equal for the finished product or costs and that includes the quality level as well.

#4 2021-07-17 13:20:23

tahanson43206

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3d-printed-b … 00692.html

Charles Hilu
Sat, July 17, 2021, 9:00 AM

Upon its completion, the 3D-printed bridge won a Dutch Design Award for the category of design research.

“The leap in research into 3D printing opens the door, once and for all, to other (large and/or public) applications in architecture and the metal industry,” the awards committee said. “The jury is curious to see how this will be emulated, and where it will lead. Laarman has set the bar high, with an extraordinary choice of material: steel, a typically (conservative) construction material, known for its extremely static properties. The form and material freedom achieved by the design hint at almost unimaginable scenarios.”

The use of steel for this project caught my eye.

I wonder how the "printer" created the structure?

Simple welding is a possibility.

A continuous bead could have been laid under computer control.

(th)

#5 2021-07-17 16:22:36

louis

https://www.designboom.com/design/world … 7-16-2021/

That technology could be very useful on Mars!

Although there's almost no running water on the surface, there could still be a need to bring gullies and the like when creating road trails.

I am sure it could have many other applications...maybe greenhouse construction?

tahanson43206 wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3d-printed-b … 00692.html

Charles Hilu
Sat, July 17, 2021, 9:00 AM

Upon its completion, the 3D-printed bridge won a Dutch Design Award for the category of design research.

“The leap in research into 3D printing opens the door, once and for all, to other (large and/or public) applications in architecture and the metal industry,” the awards committee said. “The jury is curious to see how this will be emulated, and where it will lead. Laarman has set the bar high, with an extraordinary choice of material: steel, a typically (conservative) construction material, known for its extremely static properties. The form and material freedom achieved by the design hint at almost unimaginable scenarios.”

The use of steel for this project caught my eye.

I wonder how the "printer" created the structure?

Simple welding is a possibility.

A continuous bead could have been laid under computer control.

(th)

#6 2021-07-17 16:51:33

tahanson43206

For Louis re #5 ... thanks for that very nice follow up to the initial steel bridge report.

If there is a member with posting privileges who can discover the process used to 3D print steel on this scale, I'd certainly appreciate seeing it added to this topic!

It would seem (to me at least) reasonable to suppose that there may be cost savings realizable by builders around the World, so that I would expect to see the Dutch process licensed for use elsewhere.

The addition of sensors to measure the performance of the structure under varying load, and under varying environmental conditions, is as important (to my way of thinking) as the innovation itself.  If the structure should show signs of failure, hopefully the sensors will provide plenty of warning.

If there is a forum reader who would like to contributed to this topic, and is not yet a member, please read Post #2 of Recruiting.

(th)

Board footer