New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-11-14 18:53:15

louis

Culture - the new frontier...

The Mars colony will live and breathe science and technology from the get-go. Exercise will be a must - and so leisure and sports will be natural developments. But wider culture is going to be very important as well, not least because they could drive huge revenue streams.

Here are some thoughts on early cultural development and how we create a fertile soil for culture to grow in:

1. Sculpture Park – This could be one of the earliest cultural ventures on Mars.  The sculptures would be designed by artists on Earth and executed by Mars Corporation people on Mars using local materials (whilst supervised by the Earth-based artist). The sculptures would be owned 50-50 by the Corporation and the artist and could be sold on Earth.  3D printers might be used for some sculptures.

Rock faces could be used for stone reliefs.  Mosaics could also be produced.

Sculptures could adorn the base area, humanising the environment. Large sculptures could be built on high points, creating interesting vistas.

People wishing to help fund the colony's development could have their names memorialised on Mars - have their names carved into the rock face at various locations on the planet.

2. Art Gallery Likewise, “paintings” could be 3D printed on Mars and sold on Earth.  A hab should be turned into an art gallery as soon as possible. 

Video and photograph art would also be very apt for the early period of Mars development.

3.    Artist in Residence An artist in residence should be employed as soon as possible. Again, there should be a revenue split, for when paintings and other works of art are sold back on Earth.  As the first manifestations of art on Mars, these will have intrinsic value.

4.    Writer in Residence A writer in residence should also be hired as soon as possible to record the life of the colony. Articles could be sold to numerous publications on Earth and collected to be published in book form. 

5.    Composer in Residence.  A "court composer" for Mars should be employed.  The person could lead a musical society on Mars which could include numerous group efforts  e.g. choral singing.  These sorts of activities are very positive ways of bonding within communities.

6.    Cultural Societies The Mars Corporation should encourage cultural expression through formation of music, art,  dance, theatre and literature societies.  Willingness to take part in such acitivities should count as a plus in selecting settlers.

7. Daily E-newspaper   There should be a daily E newspaper produced - this would develop naturally out of a Mission Commander's bulletin.  The newspaper would be vital in encouraging development of culture on Mars.

8. Visual Media Unit   A Visual Media Unit would be vital.  This could produce revenue-earning news items and documentaries for sale back on Earth.  It could also produce material for a nascent Mars TV channel (a version of which could also be broadcast on Earth on a subscription basis). It could also produce photographs/posters and so on for sale back on Earth.

9.  Mars Radio   A Mars Radio station would  help advance Mars's cultural development as well as being vital for information sharing within the colony.

10.  The Forum I'd like to see the colony commit to free speech and philosophical debate from an early point.  There should be a space set aside for free discussion, for lectures and talks and so on. Call it The Forum perhaps.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2017-11-14 19:21:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Culture - the new frontier...

Mars radio and composer resident will have benefit to those on planet mars for sure and unless there is a link to bring that home grown sounds back to earth for others to listen to that could be all but it could be a good money maker too.

The same for the Daily E-Newspaper might be a big sell for those with family back home on earth and vice versa but in this day of web based outlets it will be more for communications rather than a money maker.

The planetoid forums would be a means to communicate in both direction on finds and on what science to go for as well and its really not a money maker.

#3 2017-11-14 19:38:36

louis

Yes, I don't think the Newspaper of itself would be a revenue earner.

SpaceNut wrote:

Mars radio and composer resident will have benefit to those on planet mars for sure and unless there is a link to bring that home grown sounds back to earth for others to listen to that could be all but it could be a good money maker too.

The same for the Daily E-Newspaper might be a big sell for those with family back home on earth and vice versa but in this day of web based outlets it will be more for communications rather than a money maker.

The planetoid forums would be a means to communicate in both direction on finds and on what science to go for as well and its really not a money maker.

#4 2017-11-14 21:01:32

RobS
Banned
Website

I wouldn't refer to a "Mars newspaper" or a "Mars radio." It would be a Mars media website with articles, podcasts, videocasts, etc.; whatever people do at that time. In my Mars novel I call it "Mars This Sol" ("this sol" = today) and it has a staff that grows as Mars's population grows.

Among the art I identified are Mars "mosaics" consisting of images laid on unused bits of land near the outpost made out of local geological materials of different colors (white salt, black basalt, gray and brown shales, silvery meteorites, etc; yellow, red, and orange sedimentary rocks are likely; copper carbonates are green). The other natural "art" would be wind-carved rocks which can take on some pretty unusual shapes. Think of them as the Martian equivalent of driftwood art. It is a habit of geologists, as they do their work, to recover such materials and unusually shaped rocks and bring them back to the outpost. The first artists are part time and they do their art around other responsibilities, but soon some permanent positions develop.

I'd add to your list music; it is very common for astronauts to be multitalented people who are often quite capable with musical instruments. As soon as Mars has a few hundred people you can be sure there will be the occasional concert, recital, skit, theatrical performance, choir, talent night, coffee house, etc. Rather than people bringing their own instruments and then taking them home, I would hope the outpost would acquire a selection. It is possible, if the atmospheric pressure of the outpost was much less than on Earth (say, 1/2 earth pressure and 40% oxygen, or 1/3 earth pressure and 60% oxygen) that music will have a different quality of sound, especially if the inert gas contains a lot of argon (which is heavier than oxygen and nitrogen, so sounds may be deeper).

I do hope there will be Martian comedians, too; they will need them!

Digital visual art would be a powerful medium and highly exportable.

When Mars gets up into the few thousand range, there might often be ethnic festivals as well focusing on ethnic foods, costumes, music, and dance.

Martian ballet; now that will be thrilling! It could acquire audiences of millions on Earth. The same with gymnastics and acrobatics.

#5 2017-11-15 08:19:44

louis

I know what you mean - but even today a lot of young people do like to identify with a radio station or an online news source that has a newspaper "look" to it. I like the title "This Sol".

Yes, I'm with you on the mosaic idea - this could be a really good way of "humanising" the landscape. One point on that - it might require little human intervention to create.  The design could be by an Earth based artist.  Robots could sort different coloured rocks that approximate to the design and then cut the tiles against a numbered design and fix them to a flat rock layer according to a grid.

I like the idea of the ventrifact art.  Yes - it looks like there are lots of interesting shapes that could be brought back to base to create interesting features.

Yes, music on Mars should be encouraged and developed.  Who knows - there might be scope for creating some sort of new instruments from the materials on Mars, some sort of xylophone-like instrument perhaps.

Yes, when the Mars community has reached several thousand, then there should be scope for a quality 1000 sol cultural festival and a 1000 sol Olympics (that's once every 1000 sols, once every 3 and a bit Earth years). I think the Olympics would be happy to lend its name to the Mars event and fund it in the early stages. It could be held near Olympus Mons. As you say Mars gymnastics should be spectacular but also events like long jump, high jump and pole vaulting should impressive. Whether you can run faster on Mars, I've am not entirely sure...our bodies aren't exactly designed to run in 0.38 gravity, but maybe we can. In that case then, having the fastest human in the solar system will be another pull.

Hopefully, the Mars community will also develop its own sports. Maybe a larger version of basketball with several (larger and higher) hoops at different heights.  I'm seeing three hoops, two set lower than the top. If you can get it through the top one and a lower one, you get triple points. If you can get it through the top one you get double points.  Through one of the two lower baskets you get single points. smile

I think sports have to remain non-contact...the nascent Mars community can't afford to have people run a high risk of serious disabling injury.

RobS wrote:

I wouldn't refer to a "Mars newspaper" or a "Mars radio." It would be a Mars media website with articles, podcasts, videocasts, etc.; whatever people do at that time. In my Mars novel I call it "Mars This Sol" ("this sol" = today) and it has a staff that grows as Mars's population grows.

Among the art I identified are Mars "mosaics" consisting of images laid on unused bits of land near the outpost made out of local geological materials of different colors (white salt, black basalt, gray and brown shales, silvery meteorites, etc; yellow, red, and orange sedimentary rocks are likely; copper carbonates are green). The other natural "art" would be wind-carved rocks which can take on some pretty unusual shapes. Think of them as the Martian equivalent of driftwood art. It is a habit of geologists, as they do their work, to recover such materials and unusually shaped rocks and bring them back to the outpost. The first artists are part time and they do their art around other responsibilities, but soon some permanent positions develop.

I'd add to your list music; it is very common for astronauts to be multitalented people who are often quite capable with musical instruments. As soon as Mars has a few hundred people you can be sure there will be the occasional concert, recital, skit, theatrical performance, choir, talent night, coffee house, etc. Rather than people bringing their own instruments and then taking them home, I would hope the outpost would acquire a selection. It is possible, if the atmospheric pressure of the outpost was much less than on Earth (say, 1/2 earth pressure and 40% oxygen, or 1/3 earth pressure and 60% oxygen) that music will have a different quality of sound, especially if the inert gas contains a lot of argon (which is heavier than oxygen and nitrogen, so sounds may be deeper).

I do hope there will be Martian comedians, too; they will need them!

Digital visual art would be a powerful medium and highly exportable.

When Mars gets up into the few thousand range, there might often be ethnic festivals as well focusing on ethnic foods, costumes, music, and dance.

Martian ballet; now that will be thrilling! It could acquire audiences of millions on Earth. The same with gymnastics and acrobatics.

#6 2017-11-15 12:11:03

IanM
Banned

Printmaking might be a prevalent art form on Mars. The materials can be rather easily produced in situ, and regolith dissolved in water might make for an interesting pigment.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of a "Poet Laureate" for Mars, and similar "officials". Overall, I think "artists" and culture-makers would comprise about 10% of the total population for an early colony.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#7 2017-11-15 15:01:15

louis

Certainly if you are including the TV, film, photographic unit in that 10%, that's quite plausible, though there will no doubt me a lot of multi-tasking. 50 people out of 500 involved in creative/cultural activities seems quite likely to me.

IanM wrote:

Printmaking might be a prevalent art form on Mars. The materials can be rather easily produced in situ, and regolith dissolved in water might make for an interesting pigment.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of a "Poet Laureate" for Mars, and similar "officials". Overall, I think "artists" and culture-makers would comprise about 10% of the total population for an early colony.

#8 2017-11-16 03:32:30

elderflower

Should this thread not be under "Civilisation and Culture" heading?

#9 2017-11-16 04:04:15

louis

Maybe but I personally see culture as relevant to the costs and logistics of human missions (those are listed as sub-headings of Human Missions). Note the Index also has separate main subject headings for life support and planetary transportation but those are both clearly aspects of human missions.

I am particularly keen we get away from the idea of seeing human missions as solely Apollo-style technical challenges. They are about transplanting humanity on to a different planet.  Culture is vital to community cohesion from the get-go. But it will in my view also be significant in defraying the costs of the mission - a good cultural strategy for early human missions will generate billions of dollars of revenue in the first decade.

elderflower wrote:

Should this thread not be under "Civilisation and Culture" heading?

#10 2017-11-16 21:45:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

The time frame issue for the transition from science to first colonist which will lead to some sort of barter to a currency for Mars this will be the same for the transition from survival to surplus all of which will lead to a civilization simular to one we are accustomed to.

#11 2021-12-08 12:57:31

Mars_B4_Moon

It would be interesting to see what 'paint' would be manufactred on Mars or what canvas, sculpture and paint brush could be made materials and how ink and colors would run and dry on a different planet.

https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/14 … 4685699075
This recent Mars Curiosity image instantly reminded me of the classic Pat Rawlings painting "First Light".

Space
https://inspirationfeed.com/space-artworks/
Artworks

Paintings
https://fineartamerica.com/art/paintings/space
Space

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-12-08 13:06:55)

#12 2022-08-01 16:44:42

Mars_B4_Moon

Maybe they will first send an A.I painter, some Robot musician and an A.I writer to the South Pole?

If Mars was to have a path similar to the explorer of the South Pole, but maybe someone with a different experience  to describe the Duststorms, Summer tours, long Winters and Quakes.

a Korean Radio Station?  South Korea has researchers split between bases Jang Bogo and King Sejong, there are Hindi speakers from India, Japan stationed at the Syowa base, there are also a lot of Spanish or Hispanic culture in Antarctica, Italian researchers split between the Concordia base and the older Mario Zucchelli base, also  permanent French subantarctic stations Alfred Faure and Port-aux-Français..

Language, Culture or 'Religion'?

Could Mars afford the loss of 1,000 people, Antarctica the South Pole has already seen more than 1,000 dead.

The Churches of Antarctica
https://www.amusingplanet.com/2022/05/t … ctica.html

Arts and Antarctica.
I am very lucky to also cooperate with Czech Antarctic Research, providing me with water samples from the South Pole that I use for watercolor paintings.
https://polarchristian.com/2018/11/15/a … antarctica

Xavier Cortada Art in Antarctica: South Pole
https://artantarctica.blogspot.com/2007 … -pole.html

Notre-Dame des Vents,  Territory of the French Southern and Antarctic Lands.
http://ile.kerguelen.free.fr/nddvmin.htm

China’s fourth Antarctic research base, Taishan Station
https://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/201 … 290831.htm

Bulgarian language

St. Ivan Rilski Chapel St. John of Rila Chapel, Bulgarian at the Bulgaria base St. Kliment Ohridski on Livingston Island in the South Shetland Islands
https://web.archive.org/web/20110706142 … bgnews.htm

Russian Patriarch 2016 holds mass at the Bellingshausen Antarctic base
https://en.mercopress.com/2016/02/18/ru … rctic-base

Two members of a gospel group 2012 were caught last austral summer sowing barley in Antarctica in a bio-security breach
https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/360 … ley-breach

Climbing the Mountains of Mars?

Mount Sidley is the highest dormant volcano in Antarctica, the first recorded ascent of Mount Sidley was by New Zealander Bill Atkinson year 1990, whilst working in support of a United States Antarctic Program scientific field party. Toney Mountain lies in Marie Byrd Land, a tectonically and volcanically active region of Antarctica. Deception Island is an island in the South Shetland Islands close to the Antarctic Peninsula with a large and usually "safe" natural harbor, which is occasionally troubled by the underlying active volcano.

Erebos, is in folklore and mythology the personification of darkness and one of the primordial Greek deities.

Loss of Life
Mt. Erebus Disaster | Air New Zealand Flight 901

memorials at the crash site

https://www.erebus.co.nz/Memorial-and-A … c-Memorial

'In spite of the determined and courageous actions of the New Zealand and United States Antarctic expeditions the bodies of some of those who died could not be recovered.'

Killing all 237 passengers and 20 crew on board. Air New Zealand had been operating scheduled Antarctic sightseeing flights since 1977

The accident became the deadliest accident in the history of Air New Zealand and one of New Zealand's deadliest peacetime disasters. The tourist trip was a fatal disaster, the nationalities of the passengers and crew included New Zealand, Japan, the United States, UK, Canada, Australia, France and one Swiss.  Both the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder were in working order and able to be deciphered. Extensive photographic footage from the moments before the crash was available; being a sightseeing flight, most passengers were carrying cameras, from which the majority of the film could be developed.

Not the only crash, the Chilean Airforce lost an Aircraft 38 dead, Douglas C-124C Globemaster II Livingston Island plane crash, Nelson Island plane crash, a Korean Shipwreck 22 dead, the Spanish have paid the most in blood and in year 1819 a Shipwreck 644 dead the loss of San Telmo a Spain ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uthi8QAKboo

Video tours
ESA Winter at the Concordia station in Antarctica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpMa5cXjp8
South Pole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVuNuRM4TMM
Amundsen-Scott
Cool vid by Michael Rice maybe a bit of homesickness in his voice as he signs off looking forward to seeing other plants, trees, animals, people back home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ3_gZ3ZS_4
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Arches/Tunnels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Iry5WQ3CA
South Pole Station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPiVT23MhA
McMurdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hww2trxgLo
'the medical clinic, and various other sites around town.'
and Skua station.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-01 18:07:26)

#13 2023-05-12 05:19:43

Mars_B4_Moon

Mars will probably have its own trot or waltz or 'shake' or whatever it will be called, with its lower gravity and red dust I imagine the planet itself will inspire a unique dance. Ballet is an old surviving dance, a type of performance dance that originated during the Italian Renaissance in the fifteenth century but a lot of dance if not drawn, painted, wrote down and recorded, skilled passed on by masters and the songs and theater regarded and stored by high society they would fade away over time. Some dances like ballet were important enough that virtuoso dancers would pass on steps and teach movement and performance for younger students. Over time dance style came to popularity and slowly go away, there were fad dances that would fade away The Mashed Potato, Bunny hop, the Turkey Trot or some that were popular and became less popular, a lot of 'dances' you see in old Medieval Period pieces are attempts of recreating old lost dances which might not have been passed on accurately over time, when you see them recreate an old dance in an old period piece is it truly the dance they would have done in that day?

The Viennese Waltz is the earliest of the ballroom dances, it emerges in the 18th century around 1750. It was an under ground dance for party people or drinkers, due to its fast rotations and close-hold, Waltz used to be called the “Forbidden Dance.” Then Kings and Queens, the ballrooms of Germany and Austria, the elite French and Russian Tsar's started doing the dance and it became acceptable.
Lanner and Strauss?

When the Waltz was first introduced into the ballrooms of the world in the early years of the 19th century, it was met with outraged indignation, for it was the first dance where the couple danced in a modified closed position – with the man's hand around the lady's waist.
In a 1771 German novel, a high-minded character complains about the newly introduced Waltz among aristocrats thus: "But when he put his arm around her, pressed her to his breast, cavorted with her in the shameless, indecent whirling-dance of the Germans and engaged in a familiarity that broke all the bounds of good breeding – then my silent misery turned into burning rage."
Beginning about 1830, the Waltz was given a tremendous boost by two Austria composers: Lanner and Strauss. They set the standard for the Viennese Waltz, a very fast version played at about 55 to 60 measures per minute. The fast tempo did indeed present problems. Much of the enjoyment of the new dance was lost in the continual strain to keep up with the music.

LOCAL VARIATIONS OF THE WALTZ
https://sfdh.us/encyclopedia/history_of_the_waltz.html
In California, the Waltz was banned by mission priests until after 1834 because of the "closed" dance position. Thereafter, a Spanish Waltz was danced. This Spanish Waltz was a combination of dancing around the room in closed position, and a "formation" dance of two couples facing each other and performing a sequence of steps. Valse a Trois Temps was the "earliest" Waltz step, and the Rye Waltz was favored as a couple dance.

Even if you have an old VHS recording of an old dance, are you seeing all the angles correctly, do you know the true bounce, subtle rhythm and feel of a dance?

Step in time: how to save the legacy of dance from being lost in history
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/ … in-history

Native American dance
https://www.britannica.com/art/Native-American-dance

Extent of dance forms

Many themes, typically the celebrations of life transitions, developed in the Americas during millennia of residence, migration, and exchange. These were most prominent in the marginal cultures of western North America (particularly in what is now California, U.S.), Venezuela, and Tierra del Fuego in the southernmost reaches of South America. Mortuary rites were prominent in the northland and the deserts. War and hunt dances have had different degrees of prominence, their greatest development being among the hunters in the Great Plains of North America (see Plains Indian). So-called animal dances varied according to the local fauna, a tiger mime belonging to tropical peoples and a bear cult reaching across the northern part of North America and into Siberia.

Religious magic, or shamanism, practiced by societies or individual priests, is somewhat similar to some practices among such Siberian peoples as the Evenk and the Chukchi. Variously practiced and used for healing the sick and communication with the spirit world, shamanism extends to southeastern Brazil but is most potent and most trance-oriented among the Arctic peoples. From Mexico, and probably earlier from Peru, agricultural rites fanned out into the southeastern woodlands and the Southwest. More recent than the other rites, agricultural dance forms show enrichment from Iberian rituals.

CLOGGING – Instructor: Tracy Walters
What is clogging?
https://weseniors.ca/whats_new/in-person-clogging/
This is a type of dance that is similar to tap dancing but it has its own unique style. It incorporates line dancing, Irish dancing and more and its own unique steps as it is influenced by different types of dance. Our class therefore incorporates a variety of music – country, blue grass, rock and roll, dance and Irish.

in the East

A Japan techno dance inspired by Country dancing, Para Para  a synchronized dance that originated in Japan. Unlike most club dancing and rave dancing, there are specific synchronized movements for each song much like line dancing.

It might have suited Japanese culture as they tend to bow and be less touchy feel than Latino culture, something that could have been done at stepping gamer pads at a video arcade and high tempo.

Para Para is strongly associated with Eurobeat. Dave Rodgers, a Eurobeat artist, has described Para Para as the only way to dance to Eurobeat, which is usually "so fast."

https://archive.fo/rZrCI

The Shakersa millenarian restorationist Christian sect founded from 1747 in England and then organized in the United States in the 1780s. were initially known as "Shaking Quakers" because of their ecstatic behavior during worship services...they forgot to make babies so their shaking dance culture fades away to be forgotten.

In Sufi islam there are performances often include singing, playing instruments, dancing, recitation of poetry and prayers, wearing symbolic attire.

Among Ashkenazi Jews dancing to klezmer music an integral part of weddings in shtetls. Jew ritual and custom in dance was sometimes influenced by local non-Jewish dance traditions,  Horah is a Jewish circle dance typically danced to the music of Hava Nagila. It is traditionally danced at Jewish weddings and other joyous occasions in the Jewish community.
http://www.worldweddingtraditions.com/e … tions.html

Tango not just in Argentina but also Finland

100 years of tango in Finland!
https://musicfinland.fi/en/news/100-yea … in-finland

It’s a commonly accepted fact that tango arrived in Finland in November 1913 when Toivo Niskanen and Elsa Nyström gave a demonstration of the newly fashionable dance craze. Later, in the 1940s and 1950s, Finland developed its own melancholy tango tradition that is still in rude health today. At the time, Toivo Kärki became Finland’s leading tango composer, combining a Teutonic, march-based tango with elements from Slavic romances and jazz.

There are fusions of various tango traditions in modern Finland, too. For example, Tango Orchestra Unto performs old Finnish tangos with a modern touch. A Finnish version of tango nuevo, influenced by jazz and various folk music traditions, has grown in popularity in the 2000s. In addition to concert halls, tango nuevo can be heard in clubs as well as in the context of theatrical, dance and contemporary circus performances and at screenings of silent movies.

One great example of tango nuevo and the myriad forms tango can take is Seitsemän miestä (Seven Men), a performance combining tango music, dance and dramatic acting directed by Elina Lajunen. It was premiered at the Espoo City Theatre in September, and takes as a reference point Seitsemän veljestä (Seven Brothers) by Finnish author Aleksis Kivi (1834-1872). This time the brothers’ argue and tussle to tangos played live by pianist Milla Viljamaa and accordionist Johanna Juhola.

Duo Milla Viljamaa & Johanna Juhola released their latest CD Tango Diary, inspired by Elina Lajunen’s diary entries regarding tango, in conjunction with the performance. 

Where is 'dance' today?

Some might argue that 'culture' has been regressing or going backwards
'gorilla twerking like human'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFvr6y40N8
by hiphop world

I'm not sure 'twerking' is a dance, it seems to be more primitive

I would argue dance requires sequences of footwork not just one but many sequence of body movements with aesthetic or 'steps'  it can be ceremonial, or social or competitive, it can be part of a martial arts 'Capoeira' dance before a Rugby game the Haka - by Maori people of New Zealand or simply fun happening at a festival or sacred ritual. It can have an athletic and show element seen in gymnastics, cheerleading,  synchronized swimming, marching bands.

On tv there is a dance routine for pop songs of the world, lots of old and new tv shows 'Come Dancing' , 'Skating with the Stars' from Chicago Black African culture featured in Soul Train is an American musical variety television show, So You Think You Can Dance an American TV series. It is amazing how India retained such rich dance culture

Dance will often feature in Hindu or India news items, a part of their culture and a constant feature in Bollywood films.

'Acting is a complete package; actors should know dancing,' says Vahbiz Dorabjee
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tv/ … 887822.cms

BTS shows off killer 'dance' moves to SRK and Deepika Padukone's Jhoome Jo Pathaan
https://www.hindustantimes.com/trending … 16515.html

The mix of African dance and music culture in the Americas and new world, Méringue in Haitian Creole: mereng, also called méringue lente or méringue de salon slow or salon méringue, is a dance music and national symbol in Haiti, a string-based style played on the lute, guitar, horn section, piano, and other string instruments unlike the accordion-based merengue, and is generally sung in Haitian Creole and French, as well as in English and Spanish.

Music and dance of the merengue in the Dominican Republic
https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/music-and- … blic-01162

Some describe Dances with Slave Roots

Merengue – Pimsleur’s Guide to Latin Music
https://blog.pimsleur.com/2019/01/03/pi … -merengue/

Merengue: Slave Roots
The two-step dance that is merengue, with ankles almost touching as if bonded together, is said to have its beginnings in the sugar-beet plantations of the DR. Slaves danced their way through strenuous labor despite having had their feet tied together – life and celebration continued despite the oppression. Fast forward to the turn of the 20th century and merengue music is considered crude and immoral, often played in low-income rural neighborhoods and brothels.

Merengue Music Grows By Force
Rafael Trujillo, the dictator of the DR from 1930 until his assassination in 1961, took a great liking to merengue music having been from an impoverished background himself. His regime was responsible for popularizing the music on their “state-sponsored radio”, using the music to create national solidarity and a sense of unity for Dominicans. Not to mention the epic songs he commanded to be written about himself eulogizing his professed leadership qualities and attractiveness.

Merengue Music Today
Merengue tremendously grew in popularity throughout the ’70s and ’80s, even surpassing salsa on international radio. New York Dominican and Puerto Rican bands brought the music and dance to the international stage. Today, merengue can be heard at just about every Latin party in the U.S. and all throughout Latin America (but more specifically Caribbean coastal countries, not necessarily Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay).

Merengue is a type of music and dance originating in the Dominican Republic, which has become a very popular genre throughout Latin America, and also in several major cities in the United States with Latino communities
The origins of the music are traced to the land of El Cibao, where merengue cibaeño and merengue típico are the terms most musicians use to refer to classical merengue. The word Cibao was a native name for the island, although the Spanish used it in their conquest to refer to a specific part of the island, the highest mountainous range. The term merengue cibaeño is therefore partially native and so merengue might also be a derivation of a native word related to song, music, dance, or festival. Another theory includes Western African words related to dance and music, based on the presence of African elements in merengue.

An early genre with similarities to merengue is the carabiné originating in the southern region of the territory of what is now the Dominican Republic, during the time of the Haiti occupation. The name "carabiné" derives from the weapons called carbines (in French carabinier) that the soldiers did not dare to leave when a dance arrived, proceeding to dance with them on their shoulders. From the French word, the Spanish name of the new rhythm was derived, accentuating its pronunciation sharply on the "e".

Parker Concert Hall to host 'Barcelona Flamenco Ballet'
https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/arts/ … 3903c.html

When one thinks of flamenco, they think of Barcelona. It is a location where great Flamenco stars have been born and raised; stars who have stood out with the distinctive stamp of their native land. Since 2017 Barcelona Flamenco Ballet has served as an international symbol of Catalan art and as a meeting point for the recognition of great dance music professionals.

I once seen a clip of Bob Zubrin show his moves, maybe it was from Mongolia and a band playing, from the clip I seen Zubrin clearly had rhythm and knew how to partner dance. Older generations know dances, many knew some Standard dance step and it might have been passed locally through generations for example in Latin America. It is impressive how other generations learned skills, before mobile cell phones took entertainment they older types from different generations knew a foxtrot or a jive or could waltz without stepping on each other's toes or knew some type of rock and roll ballroom moves.

Some cultures still have their people learning dance or it is absorbed and passed on through culture. If Hindu India culture or Latin America culture arrives on Mars then it will most probably have its own dance perhaps a new fusion combo of other styles for a new planet.

Not sure if 'dances' work without gravity

'Dancers in zero g.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMY9Xxb5qY

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-05-12 05:49:28)

#14 2023-05-15 04:14:50

Mars_B4_Moon

China vows to build a space station on the Moon by 2030 – up to four years before NASA
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech … -NASA.html

Chinese scientists to explore lunar construction materials, technology
https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/273 … technology

There are also some Hindu news items on ISRO Spaceflight

ISRO's missions to moon, sun likely to take place in July
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne … 88585.html

Japanese team reviews Lunar Polar Exploration mission with ISRO
https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/scien … 785146.ece

Gaganyaan Human rated Launch Vehicles First launch feb 2024
https://twitter.com/arunraj2696/status/ … 0454203393

Rare Views of Moon's Shadowed Craters Reveal Possible Locations of Water Ice
https://news.yahoo.com/rare-views-moons … 00732.html
NASA’s ShadowCam has been flying around the Moon for nearly six months, strapped to a Korean lunar orbiter

iSpace: Japanese Moon lander likely to have crashed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65389730
A Japanese company hoping to carry out a rare private Moon landing

Culture will Mars have its man made nice work of art, quirky funny art or sculpted wonders like a modern Sculpture 'The Thinker' or the China's Terracotta Army, the Bust of Nefertiti, an ugly looking Spider at Tate Modern London, Venus de Milo is also known as the Aphrodite of Milos, the Pigs Day Out Adelaide Australia, God Of War Statue In China, Salmon Sculpture Portland Oregon,the scary Black Ghost coming out of the waters in Lithuania, will it have its Stonehenge Pagan Monument for religion festival or remember lost and killed political leaders like the Lincoln Memorial, Two odd looking spooky Skeletons in Sala Keoku Thailand, a dynamic Horse Sculpture of Mustangs in Texas, the Great Sphinx of Giza.

If the mob goes to Mars or an unjust event a perception of something bad happens will they protest and riot, burn down and loot their own colonies and build statues for 'George Floyd' type person, build statues and paint walls in the image.

or maybe Robots and AI less damaged by politics or emotional bickering will provide some of the early the poetry, music and paintings

How are artificial intelligence applications affecting the entertainment industry?
https://www.easternherald.com/2023/05/1 … -industry/
older article

Claire Elise Boucher  known professionally as Grimes, is a Canadian musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer. Her early work has been described as extending from "lo-fi R&B" to futuristic dance-pop, and has incorporated influences from electronic music, hip hop, and rock. Her lyrics often touch on science fiction and feminist themes. She has released five studio albums.

In 2018, Grimes began a relationship with business magnate Elon Musk

Born and raised in Vancouver later moving to Montreal, Grimes began releasing music independently in the late 2000s, releasing two albums

Grimes defends the use of AI for creating music and art: "I think we need each other"
https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/gri … /102338230

With the growing role of artificial intelligence in the music industry, some question its authenticity while others are all for it
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/enter … -it-507343
In recent years, artificial intelligence (AI) has made remarkable strides in many fields and music is no exception

Future workers will need to master AI "dark arts"
https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-relea … 21227.html

How AI is impacting artists and the music industry as a whole
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-ai-impact … le-1715460

‘We’re in a space race’: Nasa sounds alarm at Chinese designs on moon
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 … space-race
Administrator Bill Nelson says Beijing could seek ‘own’ resource-rich areas and next two years could be key to US-China contest

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-05-15 04:36:08)

Board footer