New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-07 13:08:29

Palomar

Re: Astronaut Barbara Morgan - Set for Space 11/03

*I saw on last evening's news that Barbara Morgan is slated for a mission in 11/03.  I just now got the reminder (link below, bio information) that she trained with Christa McAuliffe in the 1980s who, of course, was on the ill-fated Challenger mission.

Ms. Morgan was interviewed last evening, along with schoolteachers.  It's been arranged for her to have live satellite "hook up" with school classrooms, and she will give some presentations on an interactive basis with the children.  Sounds great; she's all for encouraging our young people to get involved with and excited about the space program!  smile

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/morgan.html

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-01-07 17:20:23

Palomar

*For those of us old enough to have been there or remember, where were you and what were you doing the day of the Challenger accident?  I don't want to make a new thread for this, and it ties in with the Morgan article (with necessary reference to the Challenger mission and McAuliffe).

If I recall correctly, it was a Friday.  I turned 21 a few months later.

For some reason, neither my father (deceased since 1987) nor I had to work that day.  It was nearly 11 AM Central Standard Time; I recall this because my mother was watching "The Price Is Right" on TV and they were just about to go into the "Showcase Showdown."  Just as show host Bob Barker started saying something, a CBS Special News bulletin came on the screen.  Dan Rather was looking down at some papers, then looked up at the camera -- and he looked AWFUL.  I felt immediately frightened, and thought "President Reagan has been assassinated."

Nope.  The Challenger blew.  Wow.  Stun, shock, holy cow!  The feeling was similar to how I felt on the 9/11 terrorist attacks (though my 9/11 duress and shock was much, MUCH stronger...needless to say).  It was unbelievable, horrible.

A little girl in my parents' church (due to get married in May 03 and now out of college -- hard to believe) saw the launch and explosion repeated and repeated on TV.  She finally asked her mom, "Why do they keep blowing it up?"

So...how about you?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2003-01-08 00:12:23

AltToWar

I was in the 5th grade, in Douds Elementary, Iowa. 

The teachers had planned to play the launch in every classroom, but they had some technical difficulty.  Only the monitor in the teachers lounge/office across the hall had worked. 

I had a view out the window and across the hall into that office.  I noticed some sort of commotion.

Our teacher came in, somewhat glassy eyed and informed us that the shuttle and blown up.

At that age an event of that magnitude baffled me.

The most vivid memory I have at that age.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -Henry David Thoreau

#4 2003-01-08 08:22:07

Palomar

I was in the 5th grade, in Douds Elementary, Iowa. 

The teachers had planned to play the launch in every classroom, but they had some technical difficulty.  Only the monitor in the teachers lounge/office across the hall had worked. 

I had a view out the window and across the hall into that office.  I noticed some sort of commotion.

Our teacher came in, somewhat glassy eyed and informed us that the shuttle and blown up.

At that age an event of that magnitude baffled me.

The most vivid memory I have at that age.

*Yeah.  I felt bad for all the kids across the country who were supposed to be watching it -- geez.  Especially McAuliffe's class; they really took it hard, understandably.  I remember video of children out of their desks, crying and hugging each other. 

--Cindy

#5 2003-01-08 09:58:27

clark

I remember watching it on TV, as it happened.

Isn't it rather remarkable that so many memories are linked to the TV.

Some commentators hold that the Challenger explosion is on par with the Kennedy assination in terms of emotional connection for the people of the time.

I don't believe I have ever watched a launch since.

#6 2003-01-08 10:27:18

Proteus
Banned

I was in the hospital, recuperating from surgery. So I had something of a ringside seat with the T.V. Very, very sad.

And the crew was a nice mix of Americana; different races & religions represented, both genders on board.

My room-mate's doctor had tears in his eyes.

Board footer