New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2015-01-28 20:12:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

ATK and Orbital shareholders approve merger

ATK and Orbital shareholders approve merger

Shareholders of ATK and Orbital Sciences Corporation voted Tuesday to approve a merger of the two companies, which will allow the merger to close early next month. In separate votes, shareholders of the two companies approved a deal announced last April to merger Orbital with ATK's aerospace and defense divisions. The new company, to be named Orbital ATK Inc., will start operations under that name on February 10, trading on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OA. Prior to completing the merger, ATK will spin off its sporting goods division into a separate company, Vista Outdoor.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organ … erger-atk/

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/release.asp?prid=1929

This sort creates an new company to supply space flight to the next level to compete with the likes of Boeing, Lockheed and space x....

One can see Da Stick being resurected by this combination.....

#2 2015-01-31 16:12:25

GW Johnson
Website

Re: ATK and Orbital shareholders approve merger

All it means is that solid SRB's come from a monopoly supplier. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#3 2015-01-31 19:36:08

Impaler

Didn't they already?  Or are you saying that Orbital also made some solids and now the merged company has all solids under it's control.

By 'Da Stick' do you mean Ares I or the 'Liberty' concept.  I'd think the Liberty thing has a better chance of coming back as it wouldn't need to lift the bloated Orion.  Or maybe some kind of large Cygnus on the end of a a SRB though is even more likely, putting a man on the end of the fire-cracker is just not safe.

Last edited by Impaler (2015-01-31 19:48:41)

#4 2015-01-31 20:13:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes " by the 'Da Stick' I mean Ares I or the 'Liberty' concept." which the Ares I is a nasa design while the other is totally ATK's..

Solid Booster Rocket monopoly? Where have they all gone?

#5 2015-02-01 10:57:26

GW Johnson
Website

"Solid Booster Rocket monopoly? Where have they all gone?"   - combination of attrition and completely-unfettered consolidation,  which latter is a code word for buying up competition. 

Same thing happened in aircraft.  In the US,  there are but Boeing and Lockmart for military aircraft (foreign:  a couple of European outfits,  plus Russia),  there is only Boeing for commercial aircraft (with but Europe's Airbus as competition). 

In space launch there was for a long time nothing but Boeing-Lockmart together as the monopoly ULA.  Now there is Spacex getting a decent foothold and providing some competition here in the US.  Foreign competition comes from France and Russia,  maybe Japan.  Perhaps soon  China and India.  That's the one market going the right way. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

Board footer