New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-12-08 10:11:43

C M Edwards

Re: It all started with Chevy Corvettes...

Well, it finally happened.

Company offers to lease designer space suits to space tourists.

I wonder - will fashion statements once again become a part of space travel?  This might be a good thing.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#2 2006-12-08 10:57:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well if you can not be a rocket builder, then what would be the next best thing?

OUTFITTERS FOR THE SPACE RUSH

During the California Gold Rush, the folks who reliably made money were not necessarily the miners but the outfitters who sold shovels and other supplies to those miners. It could well be the same for the rush to private-sector spaceflight: At least that's the rationale behind Orbital Outfitters, a new venture that aims to lease spacesuits and other equipment to private rocketeers.

This is who they think they can supply them to..

It will deliver its first space suits in 2007 to crews of the California-based rocket powered vehicle company XCOR and then lease custom-fitted suits to the first mass space tourists.

#3 2006-12-11 19:05:20

Commodore

Well, creating a space suit funtional and flexable enough to go gracefully down the catwalk would be quite the engineering feat.

For extra points, create one that makes effective use of cleavage.  tongue

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#4 2006-12-11 22:21:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

That would be the new glass ... never mind..

Board footer