New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-13 15:27:30

C M Edwards

Re: A Convention on the Capitol - A Realistic Approach

I just finished reading Canth's old "A March on the Capitol" thread in which he advocated organizing every space advocacy organization together into a single mass march on the US Capitol.  I tried to picture the affiliated space advocates I've met, trying to march on anything.

:hm:    ???    smile    big_smile    :laugh:   

Sorry, but we're just not usually the type!  Honestly, who here can say that long hours in the hot Maryland sun - during which you will never even see a congressman but might get an intimate experience with a policeman's night stick or flat-earther - appeal to you more than a convention - which might include actual sightings of, and possibly even meetings with, invited government dignitaries? 

Just try inviting the entire US Congress and half the Cabinet to a protest march.  That's hopeless.  However, if you invited them to a large convention, offer free admission to the lectures, allowing them to get exposure by addressing the assembly, then THAT might get some takers. 

Far better to organize a mass Convention in Washington, DC than some sort of mass protest rally.  Yelling at government officials from a roped off distance about what they're doing wrong has long since lost its sting.  Let's try getting them comfortably face to face and telling them what they can do right.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#2 2004-10-18 05:58:09

Cobra Commander

Sorry, but we're just not usually the type!  Honestly, who here can say that long hours in the hot Maryland sun - during which you will never even see a congressman but might get an intimate experience with a policeman's night stick or flat-earther...

Ah, that takes me back...  big_smile

The idea has merit, I must admit. A large gathering of the space advocate community in such proximity would not go unnoticed, and when trying to pressure elected officials twenty warm bodies on site always trumps twenty highly motivated people working vigorously out of sight. A joint space advocacy convention in DC has a great deal of potential, attract the community with the event itself as well as the political aspects.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-10-21 14:44:18

C M Edwards

Who'd sponsor it?

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer