New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-03-26 10:53:01

cIclops

Re: A wiki that is not a wiki

The New Mars Wikipedia does not intend to become yet another bland Wikipedia ripoff. Instead, here you will not only find hard facts about Mars, but also various forms of fiction, poetry, philosophy and much much more.

Given the dominance of Wikipedia can the new mars wiki really compete with hard facts about Mars? This seems unlikely and perhaps not even desirable; if it does it will detract from wikipedia and if it doesn't it will be 'yet another bland Wikipedia ripoff'.

So what can new mars offer that is not already being done in Wikipedia? Fiction, poetry and philosophy. Yes these topics could work, in fact anything that is not "factual" should. There may be another area in between too for soft specialized facts, I've added a List of mars events to the main page. More ideas are needed if this is to work!

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#2 2006-03-26 13:10:43

John Creighton
Website

The New Mars Wikipedia does not intend to become yet another bland Wikipedia ripoff. Instead, here you will not only find hard facts about Mars, but also various forms of fiction, poetry, philosophy and much much more.

Given the dominance of Wikipedia can the new mars wiki really compete with hard facts about Mars? This seems unlikely and perhaps not even desirable; if it does it will detract from wikipedia and if it doesn't it will be 'yet another bland Wikipedia ripoff'.

So what can new mars offer that is not already being done in Wikipedia? Fiction, poetry and philosophy. Yes these topics could work, in fact anything that is not "factual" should. There may be another area in between too for soft specialized facts, I've added a List of mars events to the main page. More ideas are needed if this is to work!

I think there are lots of ways to distinguish the new mars wiki from wikibedia even in the area of hard facts. If on book could really say it all then why are there so many books. I new people at university who liked to read from three different textbooks to better understand an idea.

However, the goal of the new mars wiki is to distinguish it’s self even more. Poetry and fiction are one example. You’re idea of current events is another. Also the detail we went into the models of a greenhouse are much more extensive then would be done on wikipedia. I say we have no worries about finding a niche for the new mars wiki.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#3 2006-04-08 09:55:25

maxie
Banned

As John Creighton already pointed out, there are a lot of articles on wikipedia which are not by far complete for a future Mars colonist. This is something very normal, as wikipedia is only an encyclopedia covering huge areas of knowledge.

For example, there isn't at all any article about the Rotterdam System. I just wrote one for NewMars wiki.

And, good work, cIclops !

Board footer