New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-03-05 08:56:13

Dayton Kitchens

Re: New unmanned probes to Uranus & Neptune?

I read somewhere that a lightweight "New Horizons" type mission has been proposed for Uranus.

And that a larger, far more elaborate nuclear powered orbiter mission to Neptune similar to the Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter was in the planning stages.

Any substance to these?

#2 2006-03-05 12:41:03

EuroLauncher

On Uranus all I know of was the past mission by Voyager 2

On Neptune see here
http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1442
Neptune Orbiter

#3 2006-03-05 15:34:04

cIclops

I read somewhere that a lightweight "New Horizons" type mission has been proposed for Uranus.

And that a larger, far more elaborate nuclear powered orbiter mission to Neptune similar to the Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter was in the planning stages.

Any substance to these?

Alan Stern was pushing hard last year for a New Horizons II mission for launch in 2008/9. It would be a clone of the Pluto probe and would flyby Uranus enroute to the Kupier belt. It seems unlikely to happen given the current funding environment.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#4 2006-03-05 22:31:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

I remembered some time ago talking about a nucleared powered mission just after the JIMO was sort of cancelled in favor of Prometheus. Here is the Neptune Orbiter with Probes - ...part of NASA's "Vision Missions"

Hopefully a mission is still ago but it is a very long wait....

#5 2006-08-27 19:37:56

Dayton Kitchens

Its been six months.

Any new information on either of these possible projects?

#6 2006-08-28 19:38:21

Commodore

Is Neptune even a planet anymore? roll

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Board footer