New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-11-12 07:05:52

Palomar

Re: Kansas: 1400-lb Meteor Found

Buried only 7 feet below ground

:shock:

*Its discoverer stands to rake in over a million dollars for it, by his estimation.

Unique and rare in another way too:

The meteorite is classified as an oriented pallasite, a type noted for a conical shape with crystals embedded in iron-nickel alloy.  Only two larger ones of that type are known to have been found: a 3,100-pounder in Australia and a 1,500-pounder in Argentina.

Meteorites change shape as they enter the Earth's atmosphere.  An oriented meteorite, which is rare, maintains a stable flight rather than tumbling.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-11-12 18:00:26

flashgordon

i'm surprised it didn't create a big hole in the ground; makes me wonder;

#3 2005-11-12 19:27:03

Dook
Banned

I believe it was part of a larger asteroid that came apart after entry so it just buried itself.

#4 2005-11-13 19:27:55

reddragon
Banned

I believe it was part of a larger asteroid that came apart after entry so it just buried itself.

Why would being part of a larger asteroid make it less likely form a crater? It would still hit with a lot of force.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#5 2005-11-14 06:55:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Had a hard time picturing how large this was until I found...
ksmeteorite.jpeg

Some other news links are also indicating that this is not the first from that specific area in Kansas. Local website. These space rocks or Meteors have been popping up everywhere in Western Kansas since the 1800's. It appears that there is such a thing as a professional metoer hunter.

Board footer