New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-09-22 21:32:05

BWhite

Re: Political Potlock I

May we all join hands and sign "kumbaya"

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#2 2005-09-23 03:22:22

Rxke

Sigh.

I was just going to flamingly post how much I hate the current....

...oh welll...  lol

#3 2005-09-23 03:58:13

John Creighton
Website

Is there food? big_smile  Or is the potluck metaphorical?   :?:

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#4 2005-09-23 05:35:48

clark

Politcal discussion + Food = Food Fight.

I'm going to propose a new reality series today, one where we take arch conservatives, and arch liberals, put them on a boat, and let them figure out the best way to divy up food that will last all of them 4 weeks on a 6 week cruise.

Of course the arch conservatives will win (they won't bother with compassion). That's when we have the grand finale.

We sink the boat.

I'd watch.

#5 2005-09-23 11:46:41

Grypd

Politcal discussion + Food = Food Fight.

I'm going to propose a new reality series today, one where we take arch conservatives, and arch liberals, put them on a boat, and let them figure out the best way to divy up food that will last all of them 4 weeks on a 6 week cruise.

Of course the arch conservatives will win (they won't bother with compassion). That's when we have the grand finale.

We sink the boat.

I'd watch.

Maybe we could sponsor the sharks big_smile

Then again the sharks are unlikely to eat them as a matter of professional courtesy  :cry:

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#6 2005-09-24 21:54:11

BWhite

The Daily Show rocks . . .

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#7 2005-09-25 04:48:28

Rxke

Grypd wrote:

Maybe we could sponsor the sharks big_smile

Keep the lawyers out of it!  lol

#8 2005-09-26 06:31:40

clark

Feed them to the sharks and PETA will get all bent out of shape.

When the deficit gets really bad, I think we should have a fund-raising carnival. We can all pay money to play "Dunk the Senator".

We can pay for the carnival shows too. I would pay top dollar to see the President stick his head in the mouth of a lion. I'd pay more if the lion had not been fed in a week.

#9 2005-09-26 13:40:29

Earthfirst

On my reality show where liberals are placed on a temperate island a large group of pople like  hunderd or so. But no fliming, just let them sit there for ten years or so. Then come backe and see what kind of society they have formed, will they stay true to there liberal freedom loving ideals? Or will they sink into so other form less PC like Kings, or fools? Like Lord of the flys, it would be neat to try it out on conservitives, or other groups.
Lord of the flys, 1984, and other books were the books that I liked the most reading when I in grade school. I thought that it would be neat to find out what kind of society would people would form when the rules of law no longer have power. Different age groups and races might form complelty different societys when lefth alone. I dont know what the ethics would be to let loose a bunch of kids on an temperate Island but it would be a great study. 50 male and 50 female about 8 to 10yrs old put on Island for 50 years. At that age humans can take care of them selfs, but there higher mental concepts have not developed. So they will not be ever so trained in thought, as older people are. They would develop in new way a society. But not based on are rules, or ethics.

I love plants!

#10 2005-09-26 14:02:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think you find that if you also mix races as well that the results would also be slightly different from ones of only just one.
The other thought is that you would have much then same as you did in the past from the isolated tribes of the amazon, new guinie or even the native americans that once populated the lands of the US when they were first found. Each would worship differently, there customes of marriage, and lots more would not be all that different from those we found in the past. Alot depends on the surroundings for food availablity, tools ect...

#11 2005-09-26 21:04:04

John Creighton
Website

I think you find that if you also mix races as well that the results would also be slightly different from ones of only just one.
The other thought is that you would have much then same as you did in the past from the isolated tribes of the amazon, new guinie or even the native americans that once populated the lands of the US when they were first found. Each would worship differently, there customes of marriage, and lots more would not be all that different from those we found in the past. Alot depends on the surroundings for food availablity, tools ect...

Are you show you posted this in the right thread?

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#12 2005-09-27 07:33:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

At the time It was. It would seem there is another gremlin of miss direction at work...

#13 2005-10-03 08:19:50

srmeaney

George Bush gave the Taliban hundreds of millions in early 2001.

Taliban gave that to Al-Quaeda late 2001.

Al-Quaeda gave that to Jamar Islamir in 2002.

J-I used it to train the Bali Bombers.

That puts the White House three money transfers from a bunch of Dead Folks.

That constitutes a conspiracy to terrorism under US Law.

#14 2005-10-03 11:31:26

John Creighton
Website

George Bush gave the Taliban hundreds of millions in early 2001.

Taliban gave that to Al-Quaeda late 2001.

Al-Quaeda gave that to Jamar Islamir in 2002.

J-I used it to train the Bali Bombers.

That puts the White House three money transfers from a bunch of Dead Folks.

That constitutes a conspiracy to terrorism under US Law.

Wouldn't you have to show intent?

#15 2005-10-06 12:49:00

Earthfirst

The UN also gave money to the Taliban to save some Budist monument that they just blow up any ways. By your standerds that makes the UN the cause of the bali bombing too.

I love plants!

#16 2005-10-10 12:04:43

Cobra Commander

Relayed to me by a friend via Rush Limbaugh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh … xhome.html

WTF? <bursts into laughter>

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#17 2005-10-10 12:57:10

Grypd

serves those smurfs right

Look at it from this way they are a completely patriachal society only one male has power and everyone does as he says and they want nothing to do with the rest of the world thinks. Im sure they are Al Qheada

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#18 2005-10-10 15:59:22

Grypd

What the H**L where these New Orleans cops thinking. :x

BBC New Orleans cops pleed not quilty to filmed assault

The victim a drunken "black" 64 year old man was obviously handcuffed and in custody when he was repeatedly beaten about the head by the all white arresting officers. The police then turned on the reporters that had observed the incident. The victim was later filmed on his front in a large pool of blood. This again is extremely bad as the victim could easily have died from the blood loss and suffocating from his restricted movement.

This has probably destroyed any credibility that the new orleans police had left.

#19 2005-10-10 20:36:49

Robert M. Blevins
Banned
Website

Earthfirst said:

"On my reality show where liberals are placed on a temperate island a large group of pople like hunderd or so. But no fliming, just let them sit there for ten years or so. Then come backe and see what kind of society they have formed"

Closest thing I can think of is Love Israel group that lived in and around Seattle from the early 70's to a couple of years ago...when they finally disbanded. Check google. Don't know if it worked or not.

Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.

#20 2005-10-10 20:55:06

John Creighton
Website

serves those smurfs right

Look at it from this way they are a completely patriachal society only one male has power and everyone does as he says and they want nothing to do with the rest of the world thinks. Im sure they are Al Qheada

Hmmm……They were thinking, “I lost my home and havn’t had a decent night sleep in a month. If I have to deal with one more drunk I am going to snap”. At that point they didn’t think any more and the camera caught what happened. I didn’t notice the victim was handcuffed from the footage I saw. The cops clearly screwed up and were not likely thinking with clearest of heads. The fact is, when some people get stressed they get angry and snap. It is not right but it is human behavior.

edit:Actually I just saw the vidio again and I could see both hands moving without any handcuffs on. So he wasn't handcuffed.

#21 2005-10-11 03:42:35

Grypd

Yes he may not have been handcuffed but he certainly was restrained and his arms where being held as he was being punched around the face.

From a political and local perspective this incident though is extremely bad. There is no trust in the New Orleans police which I had been told had a reputation for being one of the worst forces in the US. With the beliefs of the people from hurricane Katrina that it was the black minority that was left to the storms effects and now this it certainly does not do for inter racial harmony.

#22 2005-10-11 15:01:44

DonPanic
Website

LO

and now this it certainly does not do for inter racial harmony.

D'ya mean harmony with black poor people ?  :shock:

#23 2005-10-14 14:56:00

Palomar

Saudi king vows to destroy 'devilish' Al-Qaeda

"Madness and evil, it is the work of the Devil." 

He also has dispensed with subjects kissing his hand, believing people should bow only to God and not another human.  That surprises me.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#24 2005-10-20 18:30:22

Josh Cryer

Delay booked.

Does everyone get booking photos that nice? 'cause, man. That's just a funny booking photo, for someone who could be going to jail for a long time.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#25 2005-10-25 12:59:14

C M Edwards

Iraqi constitution passes

Well, I was right for once.  How about that Law of Averages!

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer