New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-09-01 12:47:47

ronin_Kasei
Banned

Re: Private Mars Mission?

Milling some ideas around in my head, I'd like to get some feedback on a few of them.

What would you all think about the possibilty/plausiability of a unmanned Mars mission, funded, directed and controled from the private sector, namely the Mars Society?

Conditions for this hypothetical are:
-A Private entity is willing to launch a payload of a specific mass into a TMI orbit
-Sufficent funding can be obtained for the testing, procurement and manufacture of the unmanned mission
-Support using NASA's DSN to facilitate mission communication

What are some ideas for missions? I have included some ideas of my own, geared mainly toward the near-future Mars-Direct style missions.
-Small Scale In-Situ Propellant lander with or without sample return
-Multiple Aerial Balloon Recon Packages
-Orbiting TDDRS's

"Where passion leads or prudence points the way".
-Robert Lowth

MarsDrive Consortium | [url=http://www.marsdrive.com]www.marsdrive.com[/url]

#2 2005-09-04 03:41:47

Reptoid
Banned

Re: Private Mars Mission?

I think the fuel generation experiment would be a good idea.  Since the Mars Society seems more concerned about the actual colonization of Mars rather than pure science, such a mission could help advance its goals at least a little.  I think building a deep drilling machine to look for liquid, subsurface water would also be interesting.  Maybe have a lab on the drilling machine that would examine any samples of water for life.

Board footer