New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-25 04:54:15

tasneem
Banned

Re: about life in mars

hello every body
I have a question,many scientists said that humans can live in
mars if we colonize it ,my question is :how much time ( and money) we need to colonize mars?

I Love Palestine
[img]http://alamuae.org/upload/alam3/sy2.jpg[/img]

#2 2004-04-25 05:14:48

Stu
Website

Hi tas,

Welcome to newmars!  smile

It's hard to answer your question, because there are many different plans for colonising Mars, and many different timetables too.

There are two basic choices, I guess - colonising Mars with, or without, terraforming it. If we do it without terraforming (if you don't know what that means, basically it means making Mars like Earth by altering its atmosphere so it can support life... it's a very controversial subject, some people are very much for it, and want it to happen as soon as possible, while others, "Reds" like me, are dead against it because we want to keep Mars the way it is) then we can live in modules or underground, more cheaply and more quickly than if we terraform.

I think the best thing for you to do is spend some tgime browsing the Forums here on newmars, just seeing what different people think. The discussions and debates here are very fair, everyone's pretty tolerant, and you'll find it fascinating, I'm sure.

Just try and make sure you post messages in the right place tho, ok?  smile

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#3 2004-04-25 05:20:17

Rxke

Hi, tasneem.

difficult to answer, if you mean lving like on Earth, like without spacesuit or oxygen-mask, you would need to do Terraforming, a term that covers wildly different techniques to change Mars' atmosphere to human-breathable levels. There is a dedicated section, you might have a look there but do not expect to find a simple or straightforward answer to your question: estimates from Mars like it is today to human breathable vary in time like, say 50 to thousands of years, depending on techniques used.
`
One technique would be (roughly) to introduce primitive lifeforms that could survive on Mars, and gradually make oxygen etc...like lichen, bacteria etc... But most if not all Earth life forms wouldn't be able to survive on Mars, so it might be neccessary to change/adapt these lifeforms by genetic engineering... And using this technique alone would take tremendeous time...

About price... Billions upon billions, to be sure...

#4 2004-04-25 08:01:54

Shaun Barrett

I would like to add my welcome also, Tas!   smile
    Stu is quite right about the New Mars site; the debate here is of a high standard and our members very tolerant.

Our leader, Dr. Robert Zubrin, who is the founder of The Mars Society, devised a plan for sending humans to Mars. The plan is called Mars Direct and it has been modified to become NASA's preferred method of sending explorers to the Red Planet.
    It has been estimated that Mars Direct could conceivably place the first crew of four astronauts on Mars in 10 years and for a cost of $50 billion, about $5 billion per year over the development period.
    The plan would leave a string of habitation modules, automated propellant factories, nuclear reactors and pressurised rovers across the surface of Mars which could serve as the basis of a colonisation effort once the initial exploration was completed.
    If humans were to be sent one-way after that, even a conservative modification of Mars Direct would probably allow a colony of maybe a hundred people to be built up over two to three decades. Allowing 10 years for the development phase, 20 years for the initial exploration phase, and another 30 years for colonisation, I believe we could have an expanding and almost self-sufficient colony of over 100 people on Mars by about 2065, and for a total cost in today's dollars of between $300-400 billion. (This does not take any kind of terraforming effort into account.) The cost is very affordable when you consider that it is spread over 60 years - amounting to only about $6 billion a year.

I hope this whets your appetite for more!   cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2004-04-25 18:46:17

dicktice

tasneem: Too long for me to more than witness (you know what I mean) the first landing--given the Mars First approach, Shaun outlined above. Wish I could have gone, one way at my age would have made me famous for my grand kids. As it is, all I can say is: Go for it, kids!

#6 2004-04-27 05:15:46

tasneem
Banned

good afternoon ...
thanks alot , every body ...in fact English is not my language .so ,it's difficult to understand all things you write .   yikes
I want to say another idea . life on Earth may not be long as many people think ,because of this , and befor looking for living in mars, we must take care of our planet befor we destroy it.
thank you again

tasneem

I Love Palestine

#7 2004-04-28 01:15:16

Shaun Barrett

You are right, Tasneem, that we must look after Earth rather better than we have done up to now. Even if Mars becomes a new home for humanity, Earth will remain the principle abode of mankind unless a celestial disaster destroys it.

I note your signature: "I love Palestine".
    I very much hope that you will soon have a home country you can call Palestine; a place run by Palestinians for Palestinians, with peace, prosperity and security.
    At the same time, I hope that the Jewish people, who have endured almost unendurable persecution for hundreds of years in countries all over the world (notably Germany and Russia in the last century), will at last be allowed to live in peace in a country whose right to exist is upheld by all.
    Both peoples, the Palestinians and the Israelis, have suffered the heartache of homelessness and should, therefore, have a great empathy for each other. If the purveyors of hatred and intolerance on both sides could be silenced, I feel sure Palestinian and Israeli people could become firm friends and good neighbours.
    After all, what does either side want but to be able to live in peace and to see a hopeful future for its children?
                                                ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2004-04-30 06:22:03

tasneem
Banned

Hello
In fact Mr.Shaun Barrett Israrlis want Palestinians land ,they don't want Palestinian people

I Love Palestine

#9 2004-04-30 06:45:03

Shaun Barrett

The Palestinians are an irresistible force and the Israelis are an immovable object.
    Everybody in the world can see where the present impasse is leading ... except the Palestinians and the Israelis.  sad

Unless the tribal passions and hatred in both camps can be put aside, there will be nothing but bloodshed for years to come. It doesn't have to be that way!
    Give a little. Show the other side that you can be flexible and they will soften too. Compromise is the answer. Few people are comfortable being threatening towards someone who presents no threat to them. The great majority of us only want a secure world in which to watch our children grow.
    Most of the people I've met throughout my life, of whatever race or creed, are more than willing to be generous towards you if they perceive you mean them no harm. Appeal to the good in people and, 99% of the time, you will find it in abundance.
                                            smile

#10 2004-05-04 01:04:11

tasneem
Banned

we cannot see the Israelies taking our land without doing any thing ..
if you mean by "peace" :The injustice ..we didn't need this "peace" .. and if you see that our fighting for freedom is terrorism,then we like to be  terrorists..

I Love Palestine

#11 2004-05-04 03:54:27

Rxke

It is such a difficult issue...

(BTW: I sent you an email, Tasneem...)

The Palestinian people got driven off their fertile lands after a war in wich they had little say or involvment (WWII) Probably because (edit: the Palestininans) having been under British rule in the past, it gave the big powers of that time the idea they could just do it and go their merry way...

I often imagine *my* reaction if that'd happen to me. I'm sure i'd revolt, too.

The gesture to give the Jewish people their own land after what they'd been though was well intended, but executed poorly. Palestinians being humans too, should have equal rights, but they were treated as 'displaceable' without giving it a second thought.
While i do not support their deeds of despair (bombings) i can understand their motives... Despair indeed. sad

#12 2004-05-04 05:46:29

Shaun Barrett

What proportion of erstwhile Palestine is now part of Jordan?
    I think I read somewhere recently that 2/3rds of what was once Palestine is now part of Jordan. Is this true?
    If so, why do the Palestinian people not lobby for its return?

#13 2004-05-04 06:04:23

tasneem
Banned

the trouth is that 2/3rds of people who live in Jordan are Palestinians ...

I Love Palestine

#14 2004-05-04 13:48:40

Palomar

good afternoon ...
thanks alot , every body ...in fact English is not my language .so ,it's difficult to understand all things you write .   yikes
I want to say another idea . life on Earth may not be long as many people think ,because of this , and befor looking for living in mars, we must take care of our planet befor we destroy it.
thank you again

tasneem

*Hello Tasneem, and welcome to New Mars.  I agree with some of your words.  smile

To everyone:  How many languages has _The Case for Mars_ and similar plans been translated into?  Hopefully -many-, but of course I don't know, which is why I ask.

Atitarev has been hoping these boards obtain a more international presence; perhaps he might know?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#15 2004-05-05 06:32:11

dicktice

Hey, tasneem, what about your topic: "about life in Mars"? The daily news is all about the troubles of Earth, so what's your point? Let's hear it for Mars, eh?

#16 2004-05-05 06:38:44

Rxke

I think Tasneem means she is interested in living on Mars, but we shouldn't forget or leave our troubles on Earth behind, when doing so.

Board footer