New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-22 20:07:48

Hazer

Re: A suggestion for a category - A category committed to hardware

Something I have noticed about New Mars is that many of the people-myself included, like to design potential equipment for use on Mars, or the Moon.  I think it would be helpful if we had a category devoted to the sharing and discussion of potential Mars Hardware.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#2 2004-01-26 09:26:07

dicktice

Well, yeah . . . but something that hasn't been taken up before. For instance, given a Mars-skin compression suit with five or six hours excursion time (say) how will we handle toilet requirements. No kidding, that'll be a major engineering issue if and when the skintight approach proves feasible. And that's just for starters. . . .

#3 2004-01-26 10:16:55

Rxke

Hmm... I envisionage public toilets, strewn around the surface of Mars, each of 'em a little pressurized crapper... tongue  big_smile  tongue

Dunno about the separate thread, though, you can always post in human settlement for e.g. suits, rovers, transport...

#4 2004-01-26 11:02:43

dicktice

Hmm... I envisionage public toilets, strewn around the surface of Mars, each of 'em a little pressurized crapper... tongue  big_smile  tongue

Dunno about the separate thread, though, you can always post in human settlement for e.g. suits, rovers, transport...

Yeah, but they get lost in the shuffle. How about listing all the things first, and then we can go into detail under those titles?

#5 2004-01-26 11:30:15

Rxke

I see you point, better still: when i first started to visit, i saw 'Acheron Labs,' 'underhill', 'dorsa brevia' but i missed 'Da Vinci'

These are all names of places in KSR's Mars trilogy, and Da Vinci was the very important place where the 'cool hardware' came from, so..

YES! you guys are right, there's something missing!

#6 2004-01-26 15:30:57

Josh Cryer

Ahh, you guys always with your thinking. big_smile

Myself personally, think that Life Support is actually the forum you'd want to post hardware stuff. As 99% of all hardware imaginable really does have to do with life support. Check out, for an extreme example of 'hardware' the Robot Colony thread. smile

In any case, it's totally not my call, and I wouldn't want it to be anyway. I'll see if I can't pass this on to Adrian.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

Board footer