New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-01-10 19:00:30

Tennis Wondergirl

Re: Mars Exploration - Mars Exploration Questions

So I have a debate coming up and I am debating for Mars Exploration.  I need facts, details and arguments about why we should explore Mars.  What good is it going to do the United States?? If someone can help me that would be great!

#2 2005-01-10 20:05:40

Ian Flint
Banned

Go to your local library and check out "The Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin.  Near the end of the book there is a chapter devoted to this topic.  Read the rest of the book while you're at it.

#3 2005-01-11 06:08:26

Cobra Commander

But take it with a grain of salt, it's a bit overzealous at times.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2005-01-11 09:20:15

Ian Flint
Banned

Zubrin overzealous?
:;):

#5 2005-01-25 09:36:55

Martian Republic

You also might consider how aggressive that we might choose to go to Mars and purpose that we would want to go there for too. Because, that would change whether we would want to go or how much advantage that we would get to go to Mars too.

If we are going to use primarily the technologies that we currently have on hand, then going to Mars would have some positive effects, but the benefits would be limited. Because with present technology we are very limited as to what we can do on Mars or how fast that we could do something. Also the return to the U.S. Economy would be less than what we invest in space.

But, if we decide to go with big mission to Mars with developing new technologies, then the investment is bigger, but also the returns are bigger too. We would then be aiming at expanding the U.S. Economy with more efficient technologies as our Mars mission progresses. That is basically what Kennedy did with our Moon Mission where it returned 14 dollars for every one dollar invested in going to the moon. Such a Mars Mission would create good paying jobs and reenergize the U.S. Economy and make it healthy again.

Larry,

Board footer