New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-23 15:39:01

TheMadCap
Banned

Re: Can anyone recommend the following books...

Greetings everyone,

Has anyone read the following books, and if so, what did you think about them:

1. Lost in Space by Greg Klerx
2. Com Check:The Final Flight of the Shuttle Columbia by Cabbage and Harwood.

Please advise, I need something to read....

#2 2004-06-23 16:21:44

Rxke

Haven't read "Lost in Space" myself, but seen it quoted several times, by NASA sceptics, to be quite insightful, so it might be good, depending your views...

#3 2004-06-23 19:22:53

TheMadCap
Banned

I actually read some of the Shuttle book tonight.

It was obviously written by non-technical people, most likely journalists. However, it did give a bit more detailed explaination of things than one would obtain from a news site. From the portions I read, thier position seems to be that while NASA probably should not have dismissed the potential for severe damage resulting from the impact, there was not really much they could have done even had they had a high-res photo of the hole in the left wing.

What could have realistically been done if we had known beyond a shadow of a doubt that Columbia would not survive re-entry? Short of sending up another shuttle as a rescue ship in the days after Columbia launched, probably nothing... sad

#4 2004-07-11 08:35:43

TheMadCap
Banned

Interesting side note... I read the entire CAIB document, and it has pretty much everything that the shuttle book has in it. Very good read IMO, it is not biased either way.

It looks like even with the suggestions CAIB made, it will be nearly impossible for NASA to implement all of them before they attempt another launch in early 2005.

I am thinking about getting that LOST IN SPACE book, but I want to be sure that it is not too biased against NASA by someone who was burned by them. Anyone have any info?

Board footer