New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-09-14 11:23:07

Ian
Banned

Re: The Earth's magnetic field - The Earth's magnetic field

I wonder what will happen to the earth once it's magnetic fields shift or run out. There's been a whole lot of research into what the earth's magnetic field looks like at the center of the earth. Has anybody ever taken a magnetic compass into a cave? It might show north and south in the opposite directions when somebody explores a cave and goes down really far. What does Mars' magnetic field look like? Is it too losing it's energy or power like the earth's magnetic field? If so, can someone do some sort of test to check out mars' magnetic fields? I would like to know what they look like.

#2 2003-09-14 12:01:17

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

Just to answer the part about Mars... Due to that Mars is geologically quite calm compared to the Earth, it does not have much of the internal molten activity that we have, and therefore does not have much twisting of the huge masses of magnetic iron.  As a result, it doesn't have the enormous, powerful, protective shield of a magnetic field that we do.  It's much more volunerable to solar flares, for instance.

#3 2003-09-14 19:29:37

Ian
Banned

Is there any indication that there was a magnetic field surronding Mars?

#4 2003-09-14 20:09:18

sethmckiness
Banned

IAN-
While the Magnetic field varies slightly from place to place, not usually noticable on a standard compass, as long as your withing the magnetic field, and are not close to another magnet of some kind.  So if you are in a cave, that is standard limestone(most caves are due to karst topography) your compass should still be accurate to magnetic north.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#5 2003-09-15 10:48:55

Ian
Banned

IAN-
While the Magnetic field varies slightly from place to place, not usually noticable on a standard compass, as long as your withing the magnetic field, and are not close to another magnet of some kind.  So if you are in a cave, that is standard limestone(most caves are due to karst topography) your compass should still be accurate to magnetic north.

What happens when you go 50 miles down into the earth? What happens to compas needles when they go 70 miles into the earth? What happens to the compass when you go to the layer of the earth that people drill oil from or mine precious minerals deep in the earth? In Jules Verne's book Journey to the center of the earth, they talk about an n deviation in the characters' compass. What were they talking about?

#6 2003-09-15 23:09:20

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

What happens when you go 50 miles down into the earth?

You don't.  The Earth's crust is no more than 50 kilometers deep, about 30 miles, and it gets too hot most places around ten miles deep.

In Jules Verne's book Journey to the center of the earth, they talk about an n deviation in the characters' compass. What were they talking about?

Jules Verne was a science fiction writer.  Due to the Earth's very molten insides, it's impossible to go through the thin crust, much less to the center.

#7 2003-09-16 05:47:14

Byron

I've been wondering...if it's so hot just a few miles beneath the surface of the Earth...why not drill some super-deep wells, pump water down in them, flash-heat it into steam and use it for electric power generation.  It really can't be that hard with 21st century technology, can it?

Just think, if something like this could be made to work, we would have virtually unlimited energy at our disposal...without the negative effects of CO2 production or nuclear waste.   yikes

B

#8 2003-09-16 06:52:16

Ian
Banned

I've been wondering...if it's so hot just a few miles beneath the surface of the Earth...why not drill some super-deep wells, pump water down in them, flash-heat it into steam and use it for electric power generation.  It really can't be that hard with 21st century technology, can it?

Just think, if something like this could be made to work, we would have virtually unlimited energy at our disposal...without the negative effects of CO2 production or nuclear waste.   

B

I think that that's already been done. It's called thermal energy. They drill a huge hole into the earth and they put pipes in and the steam that comes out of it turns electric generators and the turbines spin because of the kinetic energy released from the heat. There's also an idea to use the earth's tides to generate electricity. I think that's been experimented with too.

#9 2003-09-16 07:14:30

Byron

Ian, I'm aware of the efforts in Iceland to derive energy from their thermal fields, but that's the exception rather than the rule.  I was thinking more along the lines of drilling deep wells in places where there isn't much geothermal activity (basicially anywhere), and making this a primary source of power generation, rather than oil, coal or nuclear...

B

#10 2003-09-16 13:28:33

Ian
Banned

Ian, I'm aware of the efforts in Iceland to derive energy from their thermal fields, but that's the exception rather than the rule.  I was thinking more along the lines of drilling deep wells in places where there isn't much geothermal activity (basicially anywhere), and making this a primary source of power generation, rather than oil, coal or nuclear...

Would it cost a whole lot of money to build such power plants and is the location of the power plant you referred to restriced by geology and would geology determine where such power plants could be?
I was just wondering. Could this be done on Mars to provide temporary power for a small landing crew for several months or a year rather than nuclear power?

#11 2003-09-16 13:58:11

Algol

Geothermal energy requires time and infrastucture, and whilst it would make a good colony or outpost power source, it will require to much work and effort for a  temporary expedition to construct.

#12 2003-09-21 09:19:59

sethmckiness
Banned

I was thinking more along the lines of drilling deep wells in places where there isn't much geothermal activity (basicially anywhere), and making this a primary source of power generation

Well, Continental Crust works on the iceberg principle.  the thinner pieces are ~20 miles thick.  In areas it approaches ~60miles.  The places we drill out from is relatively shallow in the crust.  Iceland is able to use Geothermic power due to it's presence at the boundary of two plates that are spreading apart.  I would not relish the thought of drilling through the Crust to obtain energy.  Sounds like an accident waiting to happen, let alone pumping water into the mantle.  Maybe I misunderstood your point.  But also, be aware, It is not generally a good idea to try to take advantage of something we still do not know that much about.  The places in the world that have significant Geothermic power production, typically also have much geologic activity.  I would consider it a trade off.  I would hate to see the first man made Volcano.

#13 2003-09-21 09:32:44

sethmckiness
Banned

Could this be done on Mars to provide temporary power for a small landing crew for several months or a year rather than nuclear power?

I would answer this we a resounding No given current knowledge about Mars Geo-Thermic Activity.   Even if we found Mars to be Geo-thermicly active, the drilling and rigging equipment would be vast, even using cutting edge technology.

We need to abandon the Nuclear Phobia.  If Nuclear Reactors were so dangerous we should all be dead.  We are currently using nuclear reactors built on seventies technology.  Imagine what we could do with todays technology.  All power production has drawbacks.  Even solar and wind power.  Sucks if it's a calm cloudy day.  The supposed environmentally friendly Hydropower has disrupted rivers in countless countries and reduced Salmon populations significantly.  I am just waiting to see the devastation if a dam the size of Hoover breaks.  Let alone Three Gorges.  You show me a Nuclear Power Plant that would kill 20 million people that blows up and I will give you Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River in China.

#14 2003-09-21 09:34:16

sethmckiness
Banned

Could this be done on Mars to provide temporary power for a small landing crew for several months or a year rather than nuclear power?

I would answer this we a resounding No given current knowledge about Mars Geo-Thermic Activity.   Even if we found Mars to be Geo-thermicly active, the drilling and rigging equipment would be vast, even using cutting edge technology.

We need to abandon the Nuclear Phobia.  If Nuclear Reactors were so dangerous we should all be dead.  We are currently using nuclear reactors built on seventies technology.  Imagine what we could do with todays technology.  All power production has drawbacks.  Even solar and wind power.  Sucks if it's a calm cloudy day.  The supposed environmentally friendly Hydropower has disrupted rivers in countless countries and reduced Salmon populations significantly.  I am just waiting to see the devastation if a dam the size of Hoover breaks.  Let alone Three Gorges.  You show me a Nuclear Power Plant that would kill 20 million people that blows up and I will give you Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River in China.

#15 2003-09-24 11:17:52

Ian
Banned

What about somehow using the magnetic field as a power source? Would that work? Even on Mars?

#16 2003-10-05 05:34:36

alokmohan

Welcome idea .

Board footer