New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-12-12 23:45:53

Palomar

Re: Favorite Stellar Double? - (whether visual or true binary)

*My favorite is Albireo, in Cygnus.  Of course, it's rapidly swinging out of view now (summer constellation, to the far NW early in the evening).

Two nice images (appears a bit smaller in my 'scope -- especially compared to the bottom image -- on high magnification):

albireo.jpg

Albireo-BetCYG-22x5s-m1.jpg

*Lovely orange and blue (the secondary star appears *more* bluish in the eyepiece than it does in these pics).  smile  And yours?  I know there's some other amateur astronomers here (and maybe a pro or two). 

Would -love- to see Antares' little green companion but it goes without saying that my 'scope isn't quite up to tackling that task!  tongue

--Cindy

P.S.:  Some comments by others (with better equipment than I) as to http://www.carbonar.es/s33/scorpius/Antares.html]the challenges of "splitting" Antares and its companion.  (Well...except for the person with the 16" Dobsonian of course!)

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-12-13 02:05:36

GraemeSkinner
Website

*My favorite is Albireo, in Cygnus.  Of course, it's rapidly swinging out of view now (summer constellation, to the far NW early in the evening).
*Lovely orange and blue (the secondary star appears *more* bluish in the eyepiece than it does in these pics).  smile  And yours?  I know there's some other amateur astronomers here (and maybe a pro or two).

Eta Cassiopeiae is amongst my favourite doubles as it was one of the first doubles I viewed through my scope (could not find it for ages - poorly aligned finder now fixed). Phi Cassiopeiae was next viewed but could not resolve that night (nor many after) I've only really seen it once on a very still night.

Would -love- to see Antares' little green companion but it goes without saying that my 'scope isn't quite up to tackling that task!

A lot of people are using modified web cams these days (as your second image shows) to pick up feinter objects, perhaps thats the way to go.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2004-12-13 18:27:06

Palomar

Eta Cassiopeiae is amongst my favourite doubles as it was one of the first doubles I viewed through my scope

*It's been a while since I viewed that double. 

could not find it for ages - poorly aligned finder now fixed

*Some of those viewfinders are a royal pain in the backside.  Mine has no magnification at all; is basically a metal ring which is merely a part of a larger piece of metal which attaches over the barrel of the 'scope.  When it's flush against the eyepiece casing (which takes a nanosecond to adjust), I'm ready to go. 

Me:  "Would -love- to see Antares' little green companion but it goes without saying that my 'scope isn't quite up to tackling that task!"

A lot of people are using modified web cams these days (as your second image shows) to pick up feinter objects, perhaps thats the way to go.

Graeme

*I'd like that opportunity but I don't have access to one and my 'scope wouldn't be compatible (no tracking, no coordinate circles -- pure star-hopping).  If it's an attachment to the 'scope itself; I don't know much about modified web cams and things of that nature. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-12-13 18:55:55

Yang Liwei Rocket

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

Board footer