New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-03 12:44:31

sethmckiness
Banned

Re: Magnetic Propulsion - use of magnets to lift a vehicle

I have given some thought to this over the last few days.  I see two direct hinderances to magnetic propulsion.

1.) power of the magnet.

Theoretically a powerful enough magnet could interact with the magnetosphere to effectively push against the Earth Magnetosphere.  Of course the electricity demands and design would be unheralded.

2.) alignment

The poles of the magnetic field created would have to be aligned with the poles of Earths magnetic field.  this could be done by many ways, but it also an equal hurdle to overcome.

All in all, I think the technology exists or is with reach to make this happen for a basic research design model.. a proof of theory so to speak.. and with possible breakthroughs, could prove to be very feasible and efficient.

I was curious on peoples thoughts and constructive criticism.. ie, I am a stupid git is acceptible.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

Board footer