New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-26 06:42:30

Palomar

Re: Spirals in Mars Ice Caps Explained

[http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/m … 40325.html]Click

*This doesn't have anything to do with the rovers, so I'm creating a different thread for it.  This is spectacular:

"The tilted planet causes ice on one side of a crack to heat and vaporize, deepening and widening the crack. Then the water vapor hits the shady, colder side of the growing canyon and refreezes.

Eventually, chasms more than a half-mile (1 kilometer) deep developed, and they cover hundreds of miles of the polar regions. But only on Mars, it seems.

Characteristics unique to the red planet -- its thin atmosphere, chilly climate and specific planetary tilt -- make it the only known place in the solar system where the ice spirals occur."

*Be sure to check out the "simulation generated patterns" image towards the bottom of the article.  It reminds me of Celtic knotwork.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer