New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-07-20 05:27:28

Palomar

Re: Apollo 11:  35th Anniversary

The]http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_180.html]"The Eagle has landed..."

*Commemorative web site from NASA.  Notes that the crew members broke with tradition by not having their names put on the official uniform patches so the entire world could share in the adventure.

Lots of resources in the link.

Happy 35th anniversary of Apollo 11!  smile 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-07-20 15:07:33

Palomar

*Yes I am in a talkative mood today!  tongue

For the 30th anniversary, Time-Life reissued the special July 1969 edition.  I have it in my closet, in a very nice and sturdy sleeve designed especially for it.

I'd just turned 4 a few months earlier.  I remember Apollo 11.  I don't know where my sister was (summer and she was only 6 years old), but during the mission I remember pretending to bounce around on the moon -- trying to do it in "slow motion" like the astronauts appeared to be doing on TV.  My mother yelled at me from the kitchen to stop jumping.  wink  Yes, I remember those ghostly images and realizing there were humans on THE MOON.  Humans here on Earth and a couple of humans on the Moon.  That was an awesome realization.

Glad I have those memories, brief as they are.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2004-07-21 13:54:20

EarthWolf

Hello,

I envy you Cindy. I was born a considerable amount of time after Apollo. ( A certain peanut farmer lived at 1600 Pennsylvania at the time. ) The greatest moment in human exploration to date and I can only see it through documentaries and my parents' memories. I get choked up every time I hear President Kennedy's speech to Congress after Alan Shepard's flight in 1961.

Hopefully, new generations will have a similar moment with the first human on Mars or a return to the Moon.

Cordially,

EarthWolf

" Man will not always stay on the Earth. "

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#4 2004-07-21 14:02:25

Cobra Commander

Hopefully, new generations will have a similar moment with the first human on Mars or a return to the Moon.

Yes, hopefully we'll see that footfall on Mars. A return to the Moon, well... It would be kind of like one of us 'discovering' Alaska. Been done, ho hum...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2004-07-26 10:51:59

Palomar

Hello,

I envy you Cindy. I was born a considerable amount of time after Apollo. ( A certain peanut farmer lived at 1600 Pennsylvania at the time. )

*Hi EarthWolf:  Well, I understand that sentiment.  However, given you're at least 11 years younger than I am (Carter took office in '76 as you know), you just may outlive me and witness the first footprint on Mars.  smile 

http://www.space.com/news/apollo11_bush … ]Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin honored at the White House

*Also had "question and answer" time.

Check out Michael Collins' replies about Mars at the very end of the article.  He wrote a book in support of a manned mission to Mars in the early 1990s; IIRC it was published in either 1990 or 1991.  I haven't yet read it.

::edit::  Armstrong too -- see his reply to first question.

--Cindy  :up:

Board footer