New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-21 13:13:19

smurf975
Website

Re: Rovers on Venus - What are the chances for Venus explorati

I'm interested in Venus as it may have a higher economic value then Mars. I think that Venus has a greater chance of valuable materials at greater numbers then Mars. Not talking about heavy water but other elements and minerals. That are more common on Venus then any other planet, perhaps. For instance the acid and high pressure atmosphere might have formed interesting minerals.

However Venus's climate is much more hostile then Mars and has extreme air pressure. The reason why the russion missons didn't last long.

Personally I would go to Mars for the colonization and perhaps farming but Venus (possibly) for the mining. Venus could be like Australia (good for the minerals) and Mars like Argentina (nice place for farms and people)

I think that rovers may tell more but are they possible to build, with NASA's current budget?

Waht? Tehr's a preveiw buottn?

#2 2004-06-21 14:02:09

John Creighton
Website

I picture a rover driving over lave and mines with very advanced cooling systems, structural support and lava doors. Something tells me that such prospects could be very difficult. I know Venus has a crust. But it has a lot of volcanoes.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#3 2004-06-21 14:58:59

clark

You do of course know that one day on Venus lasts about 240 earth days, right? When it's light, it's light. When it's dark, it's dark.

And it rotates backwards. Venus is just weird.

#4 2004-06-21 15:01:55

smurf975
Website

Yes but Earth mines have no light either. And to Venus, Earth rotates backwards and all the other planets are weird :;):

#5 2004-06-21 15:05:35

smurf975
Website

I was thinking that as the heavier elements of the solar system tend to concentrate nearer the Sun. Venus may have more of them and more radioactive onces then Earth. Which could explain maybe for its high vulcanisme and higher temps then Mercury and other weird behavior.

And I do consider Pluto not a planet but an asteroid.

#6 2004-06-22 07:24:56

REB
Banned
Website

Perhaps a new technology could be made that would survive on Venus? Perhaps it could even take advantage of Venus’ harsh environment (Liquid lead being useful?) Of course, we are talking a lot of money for research and development.

Perhaps with such a probe, Venus wouldn’t be ignored.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

Board footer