New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-21 09:28:19

Palomar

Re: Jupiter's Io-Controlled Radio Emissions

[=http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/20feb_radiostorms.htm]Click Me

*You've got to read this to believe it.  smile 

Discusses the "Io torus" (including a pic) -- including how the volcanism of Io works in all this; why we only hear Jupiter's radio emissions "in the narrow edge of the cone" -- includes a computer animation and an illustration; University of Florida Radio Observatory; Radio JOVE...including a guy named Stan Nelson in Roswell, New Mexico who built and operates a Radio JOVE 'scope (you can "listen to it [his] live")...

::EDIT::  Radio JOVE a radio telescope *kit* you can purchase and listen to from your own backyard...hmmmm!  Is sold and distributed by the INSPIRE Project.  Follow the link in the article; in the U.S. the cost is $135.00.  Can listen to Solar emissions with it as well...  smile

Has sound samples for both DSL and regular modems (all 3 of the ones I've listened to sound like mostly static).  They liken the Jovian storm sounds to woodpeckers, whalesong, and ocean waves.  Here's what's particularly interesting:  "No two Jupiter storms are alike, and that's what makes listening fun."

They say Jupiter can even "outshine" the Sun as a radio source!  Wow.

Discusses Jupiter's magnetosphere...which is "about 10 times wider than the Sun" (!!) and "its tail, stretched out by the solar wind, extends far beyond Saturn."  That is incredible, huh?  They're speculating when the Jovian magnetosphere might flip.

A ton of amazing information here!!

I found this site through spaceweather.com dated 21 February 2004; spaceweather.com is hosting 3 sound bytes and has a calendar regarding storm activity (the page is updated and archived daily).

Does anyone else know where other radio telescope samples [of other celestial objects] might be listened to, from other internet sources?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer