New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-06 14:54:01

Rxke

Re: Digital imaging techniques - and manipulation, extrapolation...

I know most people here are 'visual' astronomers, but does anybody have suggestions where to look for info into the digital imaging side of the science, and, more importantly the techniques used to enhance, get a maximum of info out of given data etc... (from beginners to extremely advanced, everything is welcome)

I'm currently at college (again) and will concentrate on the digital aspect of my 'field' (conservation/restoration of visual media)

i've already delved a bit  deeper into medical imaging and data manipulation of 'pictures', but want to look into what astronomers, nasa et all use...

links to open-source software would be great, and i'm particulary interested in algorithms used for compression/decompression, interpolation, contrast control, error-reduction false colo(u)r etc...

(sigh, and i'm not *that* good at math, but willing to learn for The Cause...)

Board footer