New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2003-10-17 13:23:48

Palomar

Re: New Discoveries *2* - ...Extraplanetary, deep space, CONTINUED

Sun to Cool Over Next 100 Years

*Interesting article about the already-observed decrease in the solar temperature, how it will impact global warming (decrease) and also help to determine how much of global warming is due to mankind's activities.

The sun is projected to return to normal levels by 2200.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#102 2003-10-17 19:43:16

Shaun Barrett

I wonder whether the sun getting cooler and apparently less active over the next century or so will result in fewer solar flares?
    If so, that would be a boon to human deep-space missions because of the lesser risk of harmful radiation. How fortuitous at this particular moment in time, as humanity contemplates sending colonists to Mars!
    Maybe there is a God, after all.
                                                  cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#103 2003-10-18 05:21:17

Palomar

I wonder whether the sun getting cooler and apparently less active over the next century or so will result in fewer solar flares?
    If so, that would be a boon to human deep-space missions because of the lesser risk of harmful radiation. How fortuitous at this particular moment in time, as humanity contemplates sending colonists to Mars!
    Maybe there is a God, after all.
                                                  cool

*Frankly, I think the sun is simply being willful and naughty.  Now that we've got all this cool technology and instrumentation to further study its coronal mass ejections, quakes, etc...NOW it is calming down.  Like a pet who does spontaneous and funny things throughout the day, and who refuses to do anything but sit and stare the second a camera is pointed at it (even from around the corner of another room).

Hmmmmmm! 

:laugh:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#104 2003-10-18 19:27:29

Shaun Barrett

You're probably right, Cindy.
    But while you can train a wilful cat or dog, what do you do about a recalcitrant star?!!
                                       yikes   big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#105 2003-10-19 04:14:36

alokmohan

Cyndi can do it easily.King Canute did it.

#106 2003-10-20 02:10:45

Shaun Barrett

I thought King Canute failed.
                                              sad

#107 2003-10-22 12:08:13

Palomar

Lakes on Titan??

*Get yer rods and tackle boxes out, fellas.

You catch it (and clean it); I'll fry it.

"These lakes would be made of a mix of methane and ethane. These are the two main components of natural gas on Earth, but at Titan's bitter-cold surface temperature
of ?179? Celsius, they are liquids. Titan's atmosphere is mostly nitrogen, like the Earth's, but methane is also a significant constituent. Scientists have speculated that the methane acts on Titan like water does on Earth, participating in a hydrological cycle to form clouds, rain, rivers, and seas."

--Cindy

P.S.:  We've got to wait until 1/2005 until the Huygens probe is dropped onto Titan!  sad

#108 2003-10-23 09:12:12

Palomar

Uranian Stock Goes Up

*Two "new" discovered, which makes 27 moons total for the big blue planet.

--Cindy

smile

#109 2003-10-24 06:30:37

Palomar

Mars, Phobos & Deimos w/11-inch telescope

*I have to point the mouse directly over the photo itself to get the names of the moons to appear as markers beside them(Deimos is a very faint dot -- you'll need the name marker!).

--Cindy

#110 2003-10-24 10:39:52

clark

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3210951.stm

Gemstones found on Mars

Large quantities of a green mineral gemstone have been found on Mars. 

Rocky outcrops of the mineral olivine were spotted by a space craft orbiting the planet.

On Earth, the mineral is known as peridot, a cheap gemstone used in jewellery.

Peridot is my birth stone.  big_smile

Mars just keeps on givin!

#111 2003-10-24 12:04:02

Palomar

Huge solar storm headed our way!!  yikes

*Byron told me about this earlier today.  Whoa Nellie!

--Cindy

#112 2003-10-25 06:35:18

Palomar

A peek at a pre-supernova enviroment

"An x-ray-plus-optical composite image showing part of the Crescent Nebula's rim gives astronomers a look at a pre-supernova environment...In about a hundred thousand years, the massive star HD 192163 will explode. The blast will throw shards of stellar material in every direction, creating a beautiful supernova remnant that our descendants or perhaps otherworldly civilizations can admire for centuries to follow."

*Nebulae are a celestial favorite of mine.  smile  [The Lagoon nebula is one of the prettiest, IMO.]

--Cindy

#113 2003-10-25 06:56:38

Palomar

CONTOUR failure; comet-bound craft broke apart??

*I don't recall the launch of CONTOUR...but that was 14 months ago.  Hmmmm, hopefully they can figure out what went wrong. 

Any comet enthusiasts here?  Another member here and I remember the last time Halley swung around, in the 1970s...it wasn't as spectacular as had been anticipated, compared to its previous swing past the Earth.

I recall one of Arthur C. Clarke sequels to "2001:  A Space Odyssey" ("2030," if I recall correctly) wherein he writes of a small manned expedition which lands on the nucleus of a comet.  I think that's a rather fantastical idea.

--Cindy

#114 2003-10-28 06:44:07

Palomar

Solar Islands

*They are both approximately the size of Jupiter.  Wow.

--Cindy

#115 2003-10-29 22:12:39

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

Tr?s interessant... tr?s beau...

Alors, ch?re Cindy, j'?tudie le fran?ais; donc nous pousons comminquer en le langage, quand nous d?sirons, oui?

S'il vous pla?t, me corrige quand je ne parle pas correctement.

#116 2003-10-30 10:18:16

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

Not to be secret, friend, but just to practice writing in a foreign language.  Up 'til now, I've done Italian and she French.  Now, as I did say, yes, we can practice French.

Then I said, so, dear Cindy, I am studying French; now we can comminicate in the language, when we desire, eh?

And then, If you would, please correct me when I don't speak correctly.

Forums are about learning from one another, aye?  Might as well learn anything we desire if it's possible.

#117 2003-10-30 10:20:27

Palomar

Tr?s interessant... tr?s beau...

Alors, ch?re Cindy, j'?tudie le fran?ais; donc nous pousons comminquer en le langage, quand nous d?sirons, oui?

S'il vous pla?t, me corrige quand je ne parle pas correctement.

Israeli Processor...

*...Computes at the Speed of Light.

Hmmmm, I wonder when the fabric of space-time will start curling up at the edges.  Fascinating article.

---

Araign?e-Homme: Tr?s gentil de vous. J'ai peur que mon Fran?ais soit pauvre, et je suis la personne aveugle qui ne peut pas mener. Maintenant le dickbill peut lire ceci et rire de moi.   :;):

--Cindy

#118 2003-10-30 11:45:08

Palomar

National Geographic article about Mars

*"High Lakes May Yield Clues to Life on Mars"

High altitude lakes on the Licancabur Volcano on the border of Chile and Bolivia may provide clues about the evolution of life in extreme environments on Earth and the existence of life on Mars. Laguna Verde, at an elevation of 15,330 feet (4,600 meters), is shown from the slopes of the Licancabur.

--Cindy

#119 2003-10-31 08:01:03

Palomar

#120 2003-10-31 13:33:20

Palomar

Solar Flares -- Double Wammy

*Very interesting.  Discusses possible weakening of magnetosphere from the first onslaught. 

"The back-to-back pairing of two historically huge flares is unprecedented, one physicist says."  ...  "Like the first, the second storm moved from the Sun to Earth in about 19 hours -- amazingly swift compared to the typical interval of two days. Kunches said the second one may have moved quickly in part because interplanetary space was cleared out by the first salvo, creating less drag. The science behind that possible scenario is not well understood, he said."

Any of you Canadians seeing spectacular northern lights?

---

Check THIS out:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/m … 31027.html

A pair of strong solar storms that hit Earth late last week were squalls compared to the torrent of electrons that rained down in the "perfect space storm" of 1859. And sooner or later, experts warn, the Sun will again conspire again send earthlings a truly destructive bout of space weather ...  In early September in 1859, telegraph wires suddenly shorted out in the United States and Europe, --->igniting widespread fires; colorful aurora, normally visible only in polar regions, were seen as far south as Rome and Hawaii.<---!!

--Cindy

#121 2003-11-04 07:54:13

Palomar

When a large star goes supernova it effectively destroys all the surrounding star systems, either by shockwave, radiation or debris. It can leave behind a cooling nebula up to a thousand light-years in diameter. The nebula and shockwave can initiate stellar fusion in gas giants and flood Oxygen rich terrestrial planets with water (Hydrogen from the nebula plus Oxygen in the atmosphere).

I couldn't find any data, if Betelgeuse goes boom, will it throw into space enough hydrogen to flood our solar system ?  sad

Supernova

*Interesting article, BGD.

Looks like we're "in for it" one way or another, eventually:

If Betelgeuse blowing doesn't adversely affect our solar system (I'd like to hear the input of others on just how that event might impact our solar system), or own star is going to blow in a few million years.

Getting out of our own solar system won't prove enough when our galaxy collides with the Andromeda galaxy.

And now scientists are seeing what they theorize is evidence our universe might be dying, and "the wave" is spreading...

Can we escape some day to another universe? 

It's all very intriguing.  smile  I'm all for space exploration of course (provided it's done intelligently and in a non-destructive manner), but it's also important to live in the here and now, enjoying the (seemingly very rare) life we've somehow found ourselves in possession of.

--Cindy

Board footer