New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-08-16 10:47:18

Palomar

Re: New Discoveries *2* - ...Extraplanetary, deep space, CONTINUED

Canadian Space Telescope In Orbit

*My goodness...our neighbors to the north sure are a quiet bunch!  If Robert Dyck or dicktice posted about this previously, I apparently missed it.  The 'scope was launched from Russia (Siberia).

The more, the merrier!  smile

--Cindy

P.S.:  After 27 pages, the 1st "New Discovery" thread is starting to act funny; I had problems accessing it and posting to it...so I've started this 2nd thread.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-08-16 12:49:44

Josh Cryer

Aww, poor New Discoveries thread. A record breaker for sure. smile

Anyway, how awesome! I never even heard about this scope until now. Hopefully it lasts longer than a single year, though. Why does it die so quickly? It runs out of coolent?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#3 2003-08-16 13:04:47

Palomar

Aww, poor New Discoveries thread. A record breaker for sure. smile

Anyway, how awesome! I never even heard about this scope until now. Hopefully it lasts longer than a single year, though. Why does it die so quickly? It runs out of coolent?

Another (short) article about MOST

*I was hoping this article would answer your question, Josh...it doesn't; it's very short, with "the basics" outlined.  Maybe Robert Dyck or dicktice know, and will chime in {{AHEM:  Calling Our Neighbors To the North!  Come In, North!}}  tee-hee

It circles the earth every 100 minutes...even in 2003, that still sounds fantastic. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2003-08-20 20:14:54

Shaun Barrett

Just replying to you, Cindy, in this thread rather than the original 'New Discoveries', to see whether it's my browser causing the trouble or whether it's just that 'New Discoveries' is too full.
    Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think the old grey matter was playing tricks on me!
                                     smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2003-08-22 14:49:38

Palomar

Brasilian Rocket Explodes  sad

APPROXIMATELY 20 PEOPLE KILLED!!

*Clark recently posted (in a different thread, can't recall which) about Brasil's space/rocket program.  This is bad news for the global community.

--Cindy

#6 2003-08-24 18:45:18

Palomar

Full Moon Names

*Well, well...Farmer's Almanac is online!  smile  This article doesn't -quite- fit in with "New Discoveries," but I didn't want to create a new thread just for it.

I've read this information before, years ago; it's a nice "refresher."  I like old lore.

--Cindy

#7 2003-08-25 10:15:44

RobertDyck
Website

Sorry, I've been following SciSat-1 and trying to find ways to get humans to Mars. The official web site for MOST is http://www.space.gc.ca/most which provides some details, but not as much as I would like. It doesn't say why MOST will only last 1 year. It is in a 800km polar orbit, which is higher than Hubble. It's still low enough that it will eventually require reboost to stay in orbit, but not as often as Hubble. Does it simply not have reboost capability? Even drifting at that orbit it should last several years. Pointing at a star will also require propellant for maneuvering thrusters. How much propellant does it have? The question of coolant is a good one. The MOST web site doesn't answer any of these questions; sorry.

#8 2003-08-25 10:18:22

Palomar

#9 2003-08-25 10:22:21

Palomar

"Mars Animated"

*Nifty! 

--Cindy

#10 2003-08-25 19:00:35

Palomar

NASA Launches Rocket w/Infrared Scope

*Oooooo, I love infrared.  It's so.....infra!

--Cindy

#11 2003-08-26 05:11:03

Palomar

"It's time to play 'Name That Planet'!"

*Nice photo.  For some reason, that particular geographical feature looks to me a bit like the first fighter craft we saw Luke Skywalker crawl into. 

--Cindy

#12 2003-08-26 12:33:27

Palomar

More of "Mars Animated"

*Similar to my post of the 25th...except this image is larger and upright.  Nice.

--Cindy

#13 2003-08-27 19:13:59

Palomar

#14 2003-08-27 19:55:07

Shaun Barrett

Cool pics!
    Cheers Cindy.      smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#15 2003-08-29 08:46:12

Palomar

"The Mineral Moon"

*Now this is really cool.  I'd love to have a poster of this, framed and hanging on my office wall.

--Cindy

#16 2003-08-29 12:15:44

Palomar

Media Cartoons about 8/27 "Mars Close Up"

*Fun...a special folder at Cagle's web site, just for Mars-related 'toons.

--Cindy

#17 2003-08-29 15:52:45

dickbill

--Cindy

I like the : "we've come to take John Ashcroft home"

#18 2003-08-29 19:08:42

Palomar

--Cindy

*Yeah.  smile  Although a cartoon about Nazi Germany would have been more befitting to John Ashcroft.  smile

--Cindy

#19 2003-08-29 21:48:00

dickbill

*Yeah.  smile 

Although a cartoon about Nazi Germany would have been more befitting to John Ashcroft.  smile

No, John Ashcroft is not an Adorator of the Crescent but he is an Adorator of the "Big Eye who is Watching You from the Top of the Pyramide".

Those have been excomuniated too, for Paganery, Anathema, Sodomy, Heresy, Blasphema. Their God is the One that I cannot name. That was a long time ago after their ancestors, the Templars, were looking for repentance on the Stake.
The Sons of Peter recognized early that the Holly Cross had and still has, many enemies.
The Saracens are ferocious, but their mind doesn't bright much. The Adorators of The Eye in the Pyramid are more discreet, but  also smarter. Satan has many faces but only one goal.

WE know you John Ashcroft
WE are watching Your Eye in the Pyramid

#20 2003-09-01 11:31:51

Palomar

Site-Seeing on Mars:  You, Today

*Is this too good to be true?  Check it out (and try not to salivate too much, okay)?   :;):

--Cindy

#21 2003-09-01 11:44:25

Palomar

Malin Space Science Systems

*Includes "Mars Picture of the Day", "Mars Images and MOC Gallery"!

(And don't miss my most recent post above this one, posted earlier in the day)

--Cindy

#22 2003-09-01 11:47:25

Palomar

Ulysses spacecraft notes increase in Solar System stardust

*Great.  Better stock up on the Pledge and break out the Swiffers!  It's a conspiracy on the part of cosmic dust bunnies...I just know it...

(2 other posts from today above this one...don't miss them!)

--Cindy

#23 2003-09-04 16:02:57

Palomar

NASA Launches Rocket w/Infrared Scope

*Oooooo, I love infrared.  It's so.....infra!

--Cindy

First Images Coming Through!

--Cindy

#24 2003-09-05 05:35:17

Palomar

The Flatest Star Ever Measured  smile

*I received my most recent issue of "Astronomy" magazine in the mail day before last.  I read this short article in it, and hoped to find it at the magazine's web site.  Actually, this internet article is more detailed than that found in the magazine itself; it seems they complement each other.  Hmmmm.

--Cindy

#25 2003-09-05 06:43:25

Palomar

The Raccoons and Little Coyote In the Sky

*Star lore. 

I love "Astronomy" magazine's mailing list.  smile 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Check out the post above this one.

Also- the feature article of this month's magazine is the Galileo spacecraft set for "crashing" (you can crash into clouds?!) into Jupiter:

"The long goodbye
After eight fruitful years of exploring Jupiter and its moons, the Galileo spacecraft makes a final flyby of Amalthea before plunging into the planet?s atmosphere. ? Michael Carroll"

Pick up a copy of the magazine, if you haven't already.

Board footer