New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2003-09-17 07:06:27

Palomar

Re: New Discoveries *2* - ...Extraplanetary, deep space, CONTINUED

"The 2MASS Galaxy Sky"

*Check it out; very interesting.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#52 2003-09-17 07:43:52

Shaun Barrett

All those galaxies!!   yikes

It's all been said before, I know, but it really is totally beyond our just-got-down-from-the-trees ability to comprehend such vastness.

It reminds me of that movie scene:-
    "Did he really think his primitive ape-brain could contain the secrets of the Krell?!"  - Dr. Morbius in 'Forbidden Planet'.
    One of my faves!
                                   smile

And that Mars and Moon picture is beautiful! But why does Mars look so close?
    It looks like it's only about 10 millon kms away, instead of 56 millon ... God it looks just sooo tantalisingly near and reachable!!
                          sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#53 2003-09-19 06:06:17

Palomar

It reminds me of that movie scene:-
    "Did he really think his primitive ape-brain could contain the secrets of the Krell?!"  - Dr. Morbius in 'Forbidden Planet'.

Phlare Company:  Hubble Gallery of Prints

*Just found this on the net.  Great high-quality prints available for purchasing.

Funny quote of "Dr. Morbius."  :laugh: 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#54 2003-09-19 07:59:26

Palomar

"...a real fighter of a spacecraft..."

*A fond farewell to the little craft "that could"...and did. 

--Cindy

#55 2003-09-19 08:09:32

Palomar

New Theory:  Universe Born in a Black Hole

*As some of you know, I have a fondness for these critters.  Maybe the old mythologies regarding Typhon weren't too far off the mark!

And be sure to check the 2 posts above this one.

--Cindy

#56 2003-09-19 09:36:59

Palomar

"Galileo:  Journey to Jupiter"

*A fantastic web site. 

::EDIT::  That link isn't working.  Try this link in the short paragraph:

Additional information about the Galileo mission and its discoveries is available online at: http://galileo.jpl.nasa.gov

Hopefully it'll work!

::END EDIT::

:-:ANOTHER EDIT:-:  Geez, what a headache!  sad  I'm tempted to just delete all this.  After I got done with the above edit, yes -- the web pages come up now, but the options are different, and I no longer see the link for listening to the bits of audio I described below.  Whatever!!  :angry: 

Try your luck, I guess.

:-:END 2ND EDIT:-:

Check out the 'Sounds of Jupiter' link, the last in a row of them directly beneath the main story.  I just listened to 3 sound clips from the -Voyager- (1 & 2) missions. 

In "Audio of Voyager 1 Crossing Jupiter's Bow Shock," it says the firing of Voyager's thrusters makes "a short thud"...I believe I hear 3 short thuds, but what do I know...

In "Audio of Voyager 2 Passing Through Jupiter's Outer Magnetosphere," throughout (and especially toward the end of) the audio you can hear those very faint but very pretty "melodious tones." 

Anyway, check it out!!!!!! 

This is my 4th post to this folder today; don't miss those above.

--Cindy

#57 2003-09-20 06:17:01

Palomar

Mars & Milky Way

*It's hard to believe this is an "amateur" astrophoto!  sad  It's definitely one of the best I've ever seen.

--Cindy

#58 2003-09-20 06:22:02

Palomar

"Surprising Impacts on Mars and Europa"

*Interesting, but the craters on Callisto  are much more dramatic.  My most recent issue of "Astronomy" magazine says Callisto is the most heavily cratered object in the solar system.  I'd be curious to know why this is so.  What makes it such a target?

--Cindy

#59 2003-09-20 06:29:52

Palomar

Galileo the Immortal::-and-:::Mythology Facts

*A short, fun fact-filled article.  This would be a very good article to share with kids. 

--Cindy

#60 2003-09-21 05:52:30

alokmohan

Universe born out of blackhole is a byeproct of big bang theory or just opposite of it White hole.Will you agree?

#61 2003-09-21 05:59:21

alokmohan

Funny thing.Nobody is sure if there is life on europa and poor Galileo is to die.When it remained near about Jupiters moon it could have pollted then?And spacecrafts have crushed on MARS before.What then?Gallileo prosecuted second time?

#62 2003-09-21 21:09:06

Palomar

Universe born out of blackhole is a byeproct of big bang theory or just opposite of it White hole.Will you agree?

*Hi.  I don't know...I simply consider them as the fascinating theories they are.  The black hole/white hole dichotomy is especially interesting.

--Cindy

#63 2003-09-23 06:16:30

alokmohan

Indian astronomer J.V.Narlikar thinks like that.You are persevering .Please search narlikar and see.I request.

#64 2003-09-23 06:18:06

alokmohan

Should we feel bereaved for Galileo?

#65 2003-09-23 18:19:38

dicktice

No, of course not.
   Any bereavement should be directed at the lack of inspiration instilled by science advisors to our respective governments, and the paying public, based upon Galileo's results.
   What's missing, are dramatic interviews with the developing scientists (the likes of  Carl Sagon) and engineers, who developed the systems, got around the post-launch glitches, processed and interpreted the imagery and other results. Also, follow-on proposals should be made transparent by "imbedded" science reporters who are able to move between the different space programs, making comparisons and conducting talk shows.

#66 2003-09-25 07:16:13

Palomar

No, of course not.
   Any bereavement should be directed at the lack of inspiration instilled by science advisors to our respective governments, and the paying public, based upon Galileo's results.
   What's missing, are ramatic interviews with the developing scientists (the likes of  Carl Sagan) and engineers, who developed the systems, got around the post-launch glitches, processed and interpreted the imagery and other results. Also, follow-on proposals should be made transparent by "imbedded" science reporters who are able to move between the different space programs, making comparisons and conducting talk shows.

*I agree with you, dicktice.  smile

However, I have to admit I do have a tendency to anthropomorphize probes like Voyager and Galileo.  I miss them, felt a bit sad about Galileo's demise, think of them as children of the cosmos (especially the Voyager probes, which are now leaving our solar system)...

I have a strong maternal streak, and it overflows onto probes and what-not.   smile 

--Cindy

#67 2003-09-25 07:24:17

TJohn
Banned

Gamma rays..."Doc Bruce Banner, pelted by gamma rays, turns into the Hulk..."  Sorry I had to get that out.   big_smile

That's something to really think about.  Would there be a way to tell if one is headed towards us?  I guess with as much energy that a gamma burst has we wouldn't have time build cities underground or deep in the ocean where it has been suggested that would be the best place to survive such a burst.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#68 2003-09-25 10:22:51

George H

*I agree with you, dicktice.  smile

However, I have to admit I do have a tendency to anthropomorphize probes like Voyager and Galileo.  I miss them, felt a bit sad about Galileo's demise, think of them as children of the cosmos (especially the Voyager probes, which are now leaving our solar system)...

I have a strong maternal streak, and it overflows onto probes and what-not.   smile 

--Cindy

you make me laugh
you make me sigh
  you make me weep
   you make me cry

@-))-------
@)-)-------

#69 2003-09-25 11:29:00

Byron

there is already one little town built underground, close to the surface, somewhere in Australia, named COOBER PEDY, or Opal Town. I heard about it on TV and then went and found info on the Internet.

Cool...I've actually seen the place...lol.  It's sorta like an underground shopping center, along with things like a post office, church, etc.  Pretty cool place.  I even bought an opal there for cheap.  But it's not a major metropolis or anything, and BGD is right...it's rather close to the surface, with skylights here and there to let in light.  But I imagine that Cooper Pedy could serve as a template for an early Martian settlement...

B

#70 2003-09-26 06:52:35

TJohn
Banned

Wow!  Never heard of that place.  Mars colonization looks more promising every day.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#71 2003-09-26 20:04:08

Palomar

1st European Moon Mission

"Moon Mission, First for Europe, to Launch Saturday
Fri Sep 26,12:07 PM ET  Add Science - Space.com to My Yahoo!

...The robot, which will not land on the Moon, also packs instruments that could confirm if there is water ice lurking in permanently shadowed craters near the lunar poles. Ice on the Moon could be used to support future colonists..."

--Cindy

#72 2003-09-27 17:12:45

Palomar

Nigeria Enters the Space Age!  smile

*I remember posting about this (then-future) event some months ago in the original "New Discoveries" folder.

Well...YEEE-HAAAW!!!  Way to go, Nigeria!!  Welcome to the great venture.  smile

--Cindy

#73 2003-09-28 16:03:04

Palomar

5 People Hurt -- Meteor Crash in India!  sad

*Wow...how sad!  Hey alokmohan, can you give us any additional details??

--Cindy

Board footer