New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#276 2004-02-14 09:36:31

Palomar

Re: New Discoveries *2* - ...Extraplanetary, deep space, CONTINUED

[=http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=v_spitzer_rosebud_02.jpg&cap=Out%20of%20the%20dark%20and%20dusty%20cosmos%20comes%20an%20unusual%20valentine%20--%20a%20stellar%20nursery%20resembling%20a%20shimmering%20pink%20rosebud.%20This%20cluster%20of%20newborn%20stars,%20called%20a%20reflection%20nebula,%20was%20captured%20by%20state-of-the-art%20infrared%20detectors%20onboard%20NASA's%20new%20Spitzer%20Space%20Telescope.%20Credit:%20NASA/JPL-Caltech/T.%20Megeath%20(Harvard-Smithsonian%20CfA)]Happy Valentine's Day!

*Too lovely for words.  smile 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#277 2004-02-16 09:47:08

Palomar

[=http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040215.html]Lunar Spherule

*Especially interesting, in that I was wondering the other day if perhaps the Moon has spherules like those little buggers on Mars.

As tiny as it is, there's an impact crater within it!  Wonders never cease, huh? 

--Cindy  smile

::EDIT::  Also: 

[http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … est_galaxy]Universes' Most Distant Known Object Seen!

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#278 2004-02-19 08:23:32

Palomar

[=http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/star_destroyed_040218.html]Black Hole Behaving Badly

*Star destroyed by black hole!  yikes 

Actually, I'm not surprised (the scientists aren't either).  Something gets that close to such a gaping maw of death and it's "curtains." 

"The supermassive black hole anchors a galaxy called RX J1242-11. It is about 700 million light-years away. --->The star was about the size of our Sun. It was ripped to shreds over hours or days.<---  After it was pulled apart some of the star's gas was lured into the black hole. It was heated to millions of degrees just before being swallowed, releasing energy equal to when a star explodes in a supernova event."

Also:  "At the height of the flare, the black hole swallowed the equivalent of one Earth every 10 minutes."

And:  "The flare was brighter, at its peak, than all the stars in the galaxy combined, the researchers said."  !!!!

There are additional articles about black holes at the web page.  I really am intrigued by these monsters; I think we should form an Adoption campaign (like folks do for bats, whales, etc.), i.e. "Adopt a Black Hole:  Call 1-800-VOR-TICE for more information!"  :laugh:

--Cindy

#279 2004-02-19 21:55:43

~Eternal~

Scientist find a Diamond in the Sky:
[http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3492919.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3492919.stm
BBC says that astronomist discovered a star made from crystalized  Carbon.

Some were in Sri Lanka, Arthur C. Clarke is pipping with a happy "I told you so!" :laugh: .

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#280 2004-02-20 13:08:40

Palomar

[=http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040220/ap_on_sc/ice_world]Largest Solar System object found since Pluto  smile

*It's called 2004 DW, is 10% larger than Quaoar (who names these things anyway??...but I do kind of like "Quaoar")...it's also half the size of Pluto.

The article also identifies Pluto as a Kuiper Belt object (one of the first such references I've seen in a science article, ala the "is it a planet at all" debate).

--Cindy

::EDIT::  About 20 minutes after posting this, I noticed Rik had posted about 2004 DW in a different thread...I'll keep this here anyway; an unintended repeat of information won't hurt I suppose.

#281 2004-02-20 22:46:57

Earthfirst

I have heard of Quaoar discovers named it after some indians that lived in califorian.
They should of named it frost world!

I love plants!

#282 2004-02-22 07:59:14

Byron

Check this out...Guess Einstein was right after all...lol

[http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4327735/]Dark Matter confirmed

B

#283 2004-02-24 15:18:29

Palomar

Check this out...Guess Einstein was right after all...lol

[http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4327735/]Dark Matter confirmed

B

*Byron -- interesting, huh?  smile  I saw a similar article elsewhere.  Einstein, sheesh...how can some people be that smart??  30 billion years left.  I wonder how many other universes are out there...and what's beyond them?  Can it truly go on forever?  Who can comprehend infinity, if it exists?  And if it doesn't exist, what is at its end?  Absolutely mindboggling, all of it.  Questions and more questions!  I want to know all the answers...  ::sigh::

---

More good news!  tongue  This is from space.com's Astronotes (updated/archived nearly daily).  What might this spell for space elevators and etc.?:

"February 24

Thinning Air Means Satellites, Junk Orbit Longer

A new study shows the upper atmosphere is thinning, which means orbiting spacecraft will experience less drag and not require boosting as often. It also allows space junk to last longer, increasing the odds of damaging impacts.

The study by scientists at the Naval Research Laboratory shows that the thermosphere, which begins about 60 miles (90 kilometers) up, has cooled and contracted 10 percent over the past 35 years, as theorists had predicted. The cause is most likely greenhouse gases, which warm the lower atmosphere.

The research, led by John Emmert, was published Feb. 5 in the Journal of Geophysical Research - Space Physics.

The study tracked 27 manmade objects that had been in orbit for more than three decades and were at altitudes similar to the International Space Station, about 250 miles (400 kilometers). The station must be periodically boosted into a higher orbit to counteract the drag of the very thin atmosphere at that height (air is a trillion times thicker at Earth's surface).

Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases trap heat in the lower atmosphere. Higher up -- at above about 7 miles (12 kilometers) -- these same gases enhance the atmosphere's ability to radiate heat into space, the scientists said. The cooling effect causes lower-density gas to sink to lower altitudes, decreasing the atmospheric density at all levels there and above."

--Cindy

#284 2004-02-25 01:44:14

Shaun Barrett

Hi Cindy! Interesting post.
    As has been pointed out recently, space is very very empty - even in Low Earth Orbit. The chances of a space elevator being struck by something are quite small, though I admit we can't ignore the possibility.
    The logic appears sound that less air density means less slowing of orbiting space junk, which means it stays where we don't want it for longer! But they don't mention any numbers with regard to the odds of an impact.
    It may be that the odds of a space elevator being damaged by orbiting debris have shortened from 1 in 100,000 to 1 in 90,000 since 1969; definitely a move in the wrong direction but not really a show-stopper.
    And they don't mention whether this high altitude thinning of the air is still continuing, whether it is linear with time, and whether it is self-limiting. For all we know, the process may be unrelated to CO2 levels, may be part of a cyclical natural ebb and flow, and may already have reversed itself.
                                               smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#285 2004-03-03 20:46:29

Palomar

Hi Cindy! Interesting post.
    As has been pointed out recently, space is very very empty - even in Low Earth Orbit. The chances of a space elevator being struck by something are quite small, though I admit we can't ignore the possibility.

*Hi Shaun:

Thanks for your answer.  Maybe I'm a bit too concerned about impacts...  ?

[http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ob … 1195_1.asp]A Disturbance In Jupiter's Clouds

*Wow, I wonder what could be causing that bluishness.  I don't recall -blue- ever being "in the mix" of Jovian clouds.  Hmmmmm.  smile  Those folks have better eyes than I do, I guess; I'm -straining- to see that blue.  Uh-oh...is there an optometrist in the house?!  tongue

I wonder how long the disturbance will last...this will be interesting to follow.

--Cindy

#286 2004-03-04 01:12:49

Shaun Barrett

The blue is very subtle. Looks like I might need an optometrist too!
                                        yikes

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#287 2004-03-04 04:00:43

Byron

I can see the blue clouds, but it is subtle...lol.  Guess I don't need to see an optometrist quite yet...hehe.

Pretty cool, though, huh?  smile   

B

#288 2004-03-04 08:07:11

Palomar

http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/imag … ]Mmmmmmmmm!  So pretty!  smile

*Wow...it's photos like this which put a smile on my face.  I wish I could have a spaceship and immortality, to travel "out there" for aeons, cruising around and seeing all these marvels upclose and personal.  smile 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Shaun and Byron, I'm glad to know it's not just my eyes, regarding the bluish Jovian clouds.  :-\

#289 2004-03-04 09:11:00

dicktice

How anyone with half a brain could ever declare an end to the Hubble--with all its unfulfilled potential--so long as there is the slightest possibility of saving, and even upgrading it, is incomprehensible to me. It must not be allowed to happen!

#290 2004-03-04 18:23:39

Shaun Barrett

Thanks, Cindy, for that very interesting picture and the expanding light echo sequence of shots.
    Ever the 'Mars Nut', I just naturally relate such things to Mars in my mind. This star has expanded just lately without blowing off material and while remaining very cool, which has puzzled astronomers.
    But the structure of stars and how they live their lives is purportedly well understood by the experts. So the fact that they are still subject to surprises such as this must mean they don't quite understand stellar evolution as well as they think they do!

The early climatic history of Mars, and to some extent Earth too, is viewed in the light of what's known as the Faint Young Sun Paradox, whereby old Sol was some 20-25% dimmer in its early youth. Yet Earth's oceans are known to have been liquid throughout their history and there is strong evidence even Mars was warmer and wetter billions of years ago.
    I've noted that some astrophysicists lately are questioning our understanding of how stars function and whether they really are fainter in their youth.
    The unexpected behaviour in this star you've shown us, Cindy, reinforces my suspicion that we must still have a lot to learn about these incredible fusion furnaces.
                                               smile

#291 2004-03-04 20:15:01

Palomar

Thanks, Cindy, for that very interesting picture and the expanding light echo sequence of shots.
    Ever the 'Mars Nut', I just naturally relate such things to Mars in my mind. This star has expanded just lately without blowing off material and while remaining very cool, which has puzzled astronomers.
    But the structure of stars and how they live their lives is purportedly well understood by the experts. So the fact that they are still subject to surprises such as this must mean they don't quite understand stellar evolution as well as they think they do!

...    The unexpected behaviour in this star you've shown us, Cindy, reinforces my suspicion that we must still have a lot to learn about these incredible fusion furnaces.
                                               smile

*Yes!  I could study this sort of thing for -hours-.  On a related note, I'm really enjoying my _Cambridge Encyclopedia of the Sun_ book.  And yes...the sequenced photos are amazing.

---

As a (hopefully amusing) side note, my husband saw the pic.  I told him I thought it looked like a fur (faux of course!) stole wrapped around diamonds.

He thinks it looks like a "big mouth trout."

Gender differences, sheesh!

--Cindy

P.S.:  But don't worry...I'd still rather have an original, intact Encyclopedia from the 1750s (ala Diderot and d'Alembert) than a handful of diamonds.  wink

#292 2004-03-09 11:04:24

Palomar

*Absolutely astounding!  Hubble Ultra Deep Field; Hubble stared at this area of space for 3 months, taking the pic with NICMOS and new ACS cameras.  "Deepest image of the universe ever taken."

[http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040309.html]http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040309.html

We're looking 13 billion years into the past!  These galaxies formed "just after the dark ages."

Maybe it's just me, but if you look directly into the center of the pic, do your eyes detect an overall, overlying spiral pattern to the entire field?  Sorry, am trying to describe this as best I can; my eyes detect a sense of *spiraling* within the lay of the galaxies relative to each other.  My eyes begin naturally and gently moving in circular motions, as if being led that way by the inter-patterns of the galaxies.  That's the best I can describe it. 

I'll have to refresh the link tomorrow, as Astropix updates/archives daily, but I couldn't resist posting this today.  What a marvelous universe we inhabit!

--Cindy

#293 2004-03-10 06:27:56

Byron

Maybe it's just me, but if you look directly into the center of the pic, do your eyes detect an overall, overlying spiral pattern to the entire field?  Sorry, am trying to describe this as best I can; my eyes detect a sense of *spiraling* within the lay of the galaxies relative to each other.  My eyes begin naturally and gently moving in circular motions, as if being led that way by the inter-patterns of the galaxies.  That's the best I can describe it.

It's a bit subtle, but I can see what you're talking about, Cindy.  Could this be the result of the pattern of the Big Bang or whatever?  It would make sense to me if this was verified to be the case, although I'd love to hear some expert opinions on this...hehe. 

It really is astounding to see something like this, though...the Hubble is one remarkable instrument, huh? 

B

#294 2004-03-10 09:16:14

Palomar

It's a bit subtle, but I can see what you're talking about, Cindy.  Could this be the result of the pattern of the Big Bang or whatever?  It would make sense to me if this was verified to be the case, although I'd love to hear some expert opinions on this...hehe.

*Yep.  smile  Would be great to get expert opinion, but in lieu of that...

I was thinking the same thing, i.e. a spiral outward motion resulting from the force of the Big Bang.

I'm thinking the Big Bang originated from, universally speaking, a very tiny "area" and then its impetus was so phenomenal.

The spiral is such a recurrent pattern in our universe...galaxies, hurricanes, etc., etc.  Everything sent spinning like a top...

--Cindy  cool

#295 2004-03-10 13:51:32

Palomar

http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/imag … 10.html]Go MESSENGER!  smile

*Whoa Nellie!  They're getting this little baby all prepped and ready for launch on May 11 (an early b-day gift for me!).  She's spent "spent the past three months being baked, frozen, spun, shaken and probed in Goddard's test facilities, experiencing the conditions of launch and its upcoming five-year journey."

...three fly-bys of Venus, then onward to Mercury.

The article doesn't mention "Vulcanoids," but I hope MESSENGER can determine their presence or lack thereof, since it'll be just that much closer to Sol.  (Yes, I know the mission is about Mercury, but...!)

It's amazing, what technology can do, and how they've built this little critter to avoid being totally frazzled by the Sun.

Too bad it'll take 5 years!  :*( 

--Cindy

::EDIT::  Yipes...they're moving it from Maryland to Florida via "air-conditioned moving van."  Geez (god forbid), why don't they assemble these delicate instruments closer to the launch area?  What if the van gets in a wreck or something?  Isn't this taking too many risks already??   yikes

Board footer