New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-18 07:28:44

Palomar

Re: Mars & Earth Berries... - ...maybe "Cities of Rock" too?

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PA … K.HTM]City of Rocks, NM

*This state park is approximately 2-1/2 hours' drive from my home. 

Since Earth and Mars share "blueberries" in common (except ours are larger), I wonder if there might not be clusters of rock formations like New Mexico's City of Rocks on Mars as well.

What's unique about the City of Rocks is its seeming so out of place (I've been there 3 times).  The landscape in this region of NM is pure desolution with gently rolling hills covered with fine desert vegetation (almost like "heather") and tall mountains in the distance.  A rather "gentle" area and all of a sudden this crazy pile of humongous boulders.  There's 1 pic in the collage in the link which gives an idea of the size (oh...a pic of a bunny rabbit in there too...) of the boulders, but not adequate enough.  Most are at least 20 feet tall. 

The City of Rocks is also very compact and "confined."   There is NO gradual going into the City, really NO sprawling "lone boulders" here and there --rather, they are a well-defined and tight cluster.  To the SE, a few hundred yards, is a smaller cluster of smaller boulders; a suburb, I guess.   wink 

You're either in the City of Rocks or you're not.  It's very bizarre and beautiful. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer