New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-07-22 17:37:23

EarthWolf

Re: Station Sizes

Hello,

I'm curious: What radius does a station require before it can rotate to the rpms that produce 1 G?

Cordially,

EarthWolf

" Man will not always stay on the Earth. "

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#2 2004-07-23 03:19:33

Rxke

not sure it will answer your question, but in the" low-gravity, a show stopper" topic, there have been discussions about that.

#3 2004-07-23 08:34:18

GCNRevenger

Answer: BIG

The trouble is the coriolois(sp?) force, if you spin a small station real fast to make ~1G, nobody will be able to stand up or walk without falling over. So, you need a big station spinning slowly to limit the force to a level your brain & inner ear will ignore.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

Board footer