New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-15 10:03:57

Palomar

Re: Bridge Across the Bering Straight - ...Extreme Engineering, Discover Channel

[=http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10000&catalogId=10000&langId=-1&productId=39553&partnumber=687459]VHS videotape

*Last evening my husband and I watched the above program on the Discover Channel. 

Though a descriptive is given of the program for the videotape, I did jot down some information throughout the program.  There is one discrepancy I see between the VHS notes above and the program:  The train system is to be underneath the highway (in the program).

From my jots:

*55 miles long

*200 feet tall

*$105 billion approximate cost

*Each pier would weigh 50,000 tons

*Each pier would be designed like the front (prow or whatever it's called...) of Coast Guard icebreaker ships.  Parallel piers won't work -- too much stress from ocean ice.  Piers' bottoms will instead be conical in shape, which can handle stress better (even the largest chunks of ice which they say have the slamming force of a freight train...yipes).

*Piers and other components could be handled and placed by a huge crane similar to a Danish one which Canada's "Confederate Bridge" is using (I forgot the name of the Danish crane and didn't write it down...they'll need at least 5 of those and they'll have to be even larger than the current Danish crane).

*4 months of the year for active round-the-clock construction time.  Is compared to Canada's "Confederation Bridge."

*Because of remoteness of Siberian wilderness especially, an additional 4000 miles of highway would have to be built (including a portion of that figure on the Alaskan side) to adjoin the bridge to the nearest highway system.

*Emergency boxes housing phones and fire extinguishers will be available every 1/2 mile, with round-the-clock emergency personnel help available.

*Vehicle traffic only in the summer, approximately 4 months; winds at other times of the year are strong enough to sweep a semi-trailer truck off its wheels (despite the upper level having walls on both sides).

*Advantages to East and West were outlined (economics), including eventual connection to proposed the trans-continental highway.

::EDIT::  Also:  "Beneath the topside asphalt, a complex network of oil, gas and electric pipelines would carry vital energy between the continents."

It was really interesting.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-01-15 10:29:29

Byron

Re: Bridge Across the Bering Straight - ...Extreme Engineering, Discover Channel

Pretty amazing stuff.  I wish I could have seen that show  smile

But considering the extremely remote location, how will it benefit both continents economically?  I mean, $100 + billion is a LOT of cash to build a bridge leading from nowhere to nowhere.  Perhaps in a warmer, greenhouse-heated world in which Alaska and Siberia had a more hospitable climate this idea would a viable one.  Personally, however, if they're going to drop that kind of $$ on an "extreme engineering" project, I'll vote for the Space Elevator any day of the week...lol.

This brings to mind of the longest bridge I've ever crossed - the Chesapeake Bay - Bridge Tunnel in southeastern Virginia, which is 21 miles long.  When you first start out, you CANNOT see land on the other side, and when you're halfway across, you see nothing but ocean on all sides...an unconventional experience to say the least.  It was kinda scary, actually, driving an automobile out into the open ocean...the whole time, your mind is screaming what in the hell are you doing??...lolol.  Another bridge almost as long is the bridge across Lake Pontchartrain in Louisana...again, it was the same sort of experience...driving your car out across what appears to be open ocean.  It was so cool to see the shoreline approaching on the other end...it was like being on a ship travelling at 55 mph heading into shore.  As for the Siberian bridge, I'm sure it'll take steely nerves to voluntarily drive a car for 55 miles across an iceberg-infested sea...maybe an auto-train would work better??

Another notable bridge I've had the privilage of crossing is the sky-high Mackinaw Bridge in northern Michigan.  This bridge is so prone to causing attacks of vertigo that they make you stop before going over to make sure you're brave enough to cross it on your own. (This is no lie...I was shocked to encounter something like this.)  If not, they have people standing by to drive you across while you ride shotgun, eyes closed if necessary... :laugh:   The speed limit was something like 15 mph, and the middle portion is a steel mesh, and as much as I love heights, climbing over thirty stories in the air, with the howling wind rocking your car...whew!  Better than any thrill ride at a theme park, that's for sure...lol.

B

#3 2004-01-15 10:43:19

Palomar

Another notable bridge I've had the privilage of crossing is the sky-high Mackinaw Bridge in northern Michigan.  This bridge is so prone to causing attacks of vertigo that they make you stop before going over to make sure you're brave enough to cross it on your own. (This is no lie...I was shocked to encounter something like this.)  If not, they have people standing by to drive you across while you ride shotgun, eyes closed if necessary... :laugh:   The speed limit was something like 15 mph, and the middle portion is a steel mesh, and as much as I love heights, climbing over thirty stories in the air, with the howling wind rocking your car...whew!  Better than any thrill ride at a theme park, that's for sure...lol.

B

*Cool, Byron; great descriptive.  I've never been over a large bridge.  I'd be one of those persons "riding shotgun" over that Mackinaw Bridge...I can get dizzy quickly, and really don't have a head for heights.     yikes   Man, just thinking about that...my palms are getting sweaty already.  sad

Sounds like a rollercoaster you're describing.  :laugh:

As for the economic benefits of the Bering Straight bridge; it is outlined in the program.  The cost, yes...good grief.  I'd rather spend it on space exploration (big surprise, I know).

But I have to admit it'd be great, watching it being built; it's estimated that will take a few decades if the plan is internationally approved and funded.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2004-01-15 10:56:20

Byron

While we're sitting around waiting for the Bering Strait Bridge to be built, it looks like the Chinese are getting into some "extreme" engineering of their own.

Check this out: [http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20030 … 842.shtml#]Chinese bridge

B

#5 2004-01-15 11:37:57

Palomar

While we're sitting around waiting for the Bering Strait Bridge to be built, it looks like the Chinese are getting into some "extreme" engineering of their own.

Check this out: [http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20030 … 842.shtml#]Chinese bridge

B

*The article about the Chinese bridge says:

"With a designed life span of 100 years, it will have six lanes in two directions, with a designed driving speed of 100 kilometers per hour."

Only 100 years?  Is that even worth it?  yikes  Good luck to them, though, of course.

The Bering Straight bridge would have to have a much longer life span, particularly as the gas and oil lines within it are concerned.  I wonder how much it would cost yearly to maintain it?

--Cindy

#6 2004-01-15 15:58:19

A.J.Armitage

I've always kinda wanted to travel around the world using only land transportation. This makes it that much easier to do, since I could go west from Chicago and not have to ditch my original car until I make the Atlantic crossing back to America. The only question left is: is there an Atlantic crossing back to America? If the only way accross these days is flight, that pretty much ruins the idea. Unless maybe I can get working passing on a freighter.

Human: the other red meat.

#7 2004-01-15 16:02:21

Bill White

I've always kinda wanted to travel around the world using only land transportation. This makes it that much easier to do, since I could go west from Chicago and not have to ditch my original car until I make the Atlantic crossing back to America. The only question left is: is there an Atlantic crossing back to America? If the only way accross these days is flight, that pretty much ruins the idea. Unless maybe I can get working passing on a freighter.

Dude - do you live in Chicago or is that just a figure of speech?

#8 2004-01-15 18:27:23

A.J.Armitage

Far north suburbs.

Human: the other red meat.

#9 2004-01-15 19:37:20

Bill White

Far north suburbs.

Cool - -> western suburbs, here. But its all greater Chicagoland, a unique place on the globe.

Anyway, I owe you a reasoned response to a thread we had going with Cindy. I have a cool quote from a Rabbi Tarphon to share concerning our thread on questioning our pre-suppositions.

If I can find that thread under all this Bush stuff.

big_smile

#10 2004-01-24 05:48:17

Shaun Barrett

Sorry to be a late starter in this thread but I've only just read it tonight!
    This bridge across the Bering Strait will be an engineering marvel, that's for sure. And I infer from what Cindy said that it's meant to last longer than a century, which is only sensible in view of its cost.
    But does anyone happen to know, off the top of his/her head, where the nearest junction between tectonic plates is in relation to the proposed site of the bridge?

If the ends of the bridge are on different plates, and the bridge is meant to last maybe a couple of centuries, will they have to allow for stretching, compression or shearing movements of one set of foundations as compared to another?
    Just an idle thought ... I worry about little things like that!
                                                 yikes   tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#11 2004-01-24 07:02:27

Palomar

Sorry to be a late starter in this thread but I've only just read it tonight!
    This bridge across the Bering Strait will be an engineering marvel, that's for sure. And I infer from what Cindy said that it's meant to last longer than a century, which is only sensible in view of its cost.
    But does anyone happen to know, off the top of his/her head, where the nearest junction between tectonic plates is in relation to the proposed site of the bridge?

If the ends of the bridge are on different plates, and the bridge is meant to last maybe a couple of centuries, will they have to allow for stretching, compression or shearing movements of one set of foundations as compared to another?
    Just an idle thought ... I worry about little things like that!
                                                 yikes   tongue

*Hi Shaun:

I don't recall tectonics being discussed in the program.  That's a valid point (understatement); Alaska has had earthquakes after all.

Dicktice posted in this thread, but I don't see his post any more.  sad  I specifically remember him stating the Confederate Bridge was practically "next door" to where he lives.

Dicktice, IIRC, you mentioned safety issues regarding vehicle travel in such remote areas.  Part of the projected economical development included towns (with services for travelers) springing up along stretches of the proposed transcontinental highway.  But that still might not be much, on the face of it; in my region, it's not uncommon to drive 50+ miles between towns (I know of stretches of road around here 70 miles long with no facilities for gas, water, etc., whatsoever).  As for truck traffic, I'd presume they could travel (more safely obviously) in convoys.  Individual cars -- yes, very dangerous.  The proposed transcontinental highway could be "ripe pickins" for highway robbers.  yikes 

--Cindy

#12 2004-01-24 09:21:12

Byron

The proposed transcontinental highway could be "ripe pickins" for highway robbers.

This sort of thing is an ongoing problem in South America...I've heard horror stories of whole busloads of people being robbed out in the middle of nowhere (where the nearest policemen might be 50 miles away.)  yikes

If they're going to build a bridge like that, especially connecting an autoroute covering 1000's of miles...I think it would make sense to just build a railway (for freight) and a meg-lev line (for passengers) connecting the two continents.  The only way inter-continental land transportation is ever going to be able to compete with airline travel is to get people from point A to point B as quickly as possible.  Traveling at 350 MPH, a 7,000 mile trip would take 20 hours, which is not too shabby for overland travel.  The same trip taken in an automobile, however, driving an average speed of 60 MPH, 12 hours a day, would take *ten days*.... yikes   That's like taking a stagecoach trip back in the Old West...hehe...something few people had the time and the inclination for.

On a different note, does anyone on here remember a scheme hatched in the late '70's about an underground "vacuum" train system that could travel at stupendous speeds (like 1000's of miles per hour)?  Apparently at least a few people took it seriously, saying it would be technologically feasible, at extreme expense, of course.

#13 2004-01-24 11:15:14

dicktice

Re. Vacuum Trains: Yes, the idea is to tunnel down in a hyperbola, so gravity will power the acceleration initially and allow it to coast to a stop with the help of powered (wheels I suppose, then, but maglev now) at the surface station at the other end. Somehow, the idea doesn't seem to have caught on.

Board footer