New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-08 16:07:10

Palomar

Re: The Sunspotter

Nifty Little Device  smile

*I saw an advertisement for "The Sunspotter" in Astronomy magazine last evening.  Wow.  smile  And it only costs $300.00.  That's an average of $400.00 less than a special solar filter for a telescope (which average around $700.00).

I'm considering purchasing it.  We gets loads of sunshine where I live; it'd definitely get put to good use.  And I'd love to keep track of sunspot activity.

Does anyone here own one, or personally know someone who does?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-11-09 02:34:25

Christina

Sorry, no, although it looks very good. (and daylight astronomy might be the way forward here, given all the light pollution around)

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

#3 2003-11-09 03:54:16

Free Spirit
Banned

Since civilization feels it must put a streetlight wherever it can, I wish they'd use red lights to reduce the effects.  I brought up light pollution the other day and just got laughed at.  Non-star gazers just don't realize that beautiful part of nature they're destroying.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#4 2003-11-09 05:48:55

Christina

Well, not until they get a big black out like New York did.

My contacts there were stunned at the night sky, once they could finally see it.

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

#5 2003-11-09 22:29:31

Palomar

*Hi Christina:  As regards solar (daytime) astronomy, it's definitely something I want to pursue.  Thank goodness more affordable and safer technology is coming about.  But of course the night sky has much more to offer.

Hi Free Spirit:  Light pollution...I know.  sad  There is 1 streetlight right behind my home (I can almost touch it if I lean over our rock-wall fence), and another streetlight at the end of our cul-de-sac, perhaps 250 feet away.  Added to that, all neighbors in the cul-de-sac (5 homes besides ours) except 1 have multi-outdoor lighting...and at least 2 of them have the damned porch/lawn lights on at night, often for no apparent reason (they aren't outdoors, there is no activity in the cul-de-sac, etc.). 

People who aren't interested in astronomy aren't aware and don't care.  And that's most people, it seems.

I've found ways to block the artificial light to my best advantage, i.e. standing at a certain angle to my house with small leafy trees blocking much of the light.  Our neighbors to the left finally did us a favor -- years ago they planted a tight-knit row of small Italian evergreens, which effectively blocks the nuisance their nearly-ever-constant porch lights create.

Ah well.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2003-11-11 00:43:10

Free Spirit
Banned

There's more than a few people in my neighborhood who also like to glare whole colonies of lights all night long.  If security is the reason for the lighting, they'd do everyone a favor if they'd use lights tripped by motion detectors.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#7 2003-11-21 10:00:45

George H

Nifty Little Device  smile

*I saw an advertisement for "The Sunspotter" in Astronomy magazine last evening.  Wow.  smile  And it only costs $300.00.  That's an average of $400.00 less than a special solar filter for a telescope (which average around $700.00).

I'm considering purchasing it.  We gets loads of sunshine where I live; it'd definitely get put to good use.  And I'd love to keep track of sunspot activity.

Does anyone here own one, or personally know someone who does?

--Cindy

Hey, Cindy, so cool! You going to get one? EBay might have good, used for sale, check it

@--}------
@-}------
@--}-------

Like you lots, sweet girl!!

Board footer