New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-08-13 13:36:22

Palomar

Re: AU Microscopii

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 82004]Here we go...

*Is a mere 33 light years away.  Youngest (and closest to us) known star possessing a dust disk containing what appears to be planets within it.  smile  Report/study from University of Hawaii.

Only  33 l/y away!

Check out graph with comparison to orbit of Neptune.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-08-13 15:41:55

EarthWolf

Hello,

Interesting. So the only discernable clumps are are those found at the distances equal to Neptune and Pluto?

Cordially,

EarthWolf

" Man will not always stay on the Earth. "

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#3 2004-08-13 15:59:52

Gennaro

This is so cool! smile

More about AU Microscopii:

http://www.solstation.com/stars/au-mic3 … u-mic3.htm

#4 2004-08-13 16:14:39

Palomar

Hello,

Interesting. So the only discernable clumps are are those found at the distances equal to Neptune and Pluto?

Cordially,

EarthWolf

*Hi EarthWolf:

It seems so:

"The clumps in AU Mic's disk lie at separations of 25 to 40 Astronomical Units away from the central star (where one Astronomical Unit is the distance from the Earth to the Sun), or about 2 to 4 billion miles. In our own solar system, this corresponds to the regions where Neptune and Pluto reside."

-also of especial interest-

"AU Mic is a dim red star, with only half the mass and one-tenth the energy output as the Sun."

If the "clumps" do prove to be extrasolar planets...wow.  Life likely not there, but still -- close for other study.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2004-08-13 16:33:02

Gennaro

The clumps also move in a highly eccentric orbits, which is kind of significant.
Many extrasolar planets discovered have these wild eccentric orbits (that Plato wouldn't have approved of at all) and here we see them as created from the original proto-planetary disc.

#6 2004-08-13 17:54:34

Euler

Is a mere 33 light years away.  Youngest (and closest to us) known star possessing a dust disk containing what appears to be planets within it.

Did they just forget about Epsilon Eridani?  It has a dust disk with planets and is only 10.5 ly away.

So the only discernable clumps are are those found at the distances equal to Neptune and Pluto?

I think that this is more due to what we can detect than because the planets are all a long way away from the star.  The stars bright glare makes it difficult to see things that are close to it.

#7 2004-08-13 18:53:13

Gennaro

Did they just forget about Epsilon Eridani?  It has a dust disk with planets and is only 10.5 ly away.

Epsilon Eridani is not quite as young, more like 500 million - 1 billion years old and hence later in its planetary system evolution.

#8 2004-08-13 20:25:52

~Eternal~

Now where be my warp ship Mr. Soon   :bars3:

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

Board footer