New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-04-25 20:23:28

Explorer
Banned

Re: Alternatives to nuclear power

Robert Zubrin himself has written profusely about the need for nuclear power on Mars but I think there might be a better way to go.  Why not instead put a ring of solar arrays in orbit around Mars?  These wouldn't have to be huge, we are not talking about powering an Earthlike civilization after all but merely a little base.  We would only have to make sure that enough solar panels stay in sunlight to power the little Mars base.  With the efficiency of experimental solar technology skyrocketing into the 50-70 percent range it might be possible to go this route if we use solar concentrators.  An orbital power system would elimate any problems with dust and light absorbtion from the atmosphere.  It would also spare astronauts the pain of dealing with the dangerous pitfalls of nuclear power.

#2 2003-04-30 20:13:52

soph

With the efficiency of experimental solar technology skyrocketing into the 50-70 percent range it might be possible to go this route if we use solar concentrators.

I doubt even Earth-based solar power is that efficient.  However, we aren't even dealing with Mars-based power, we are dealing with beamed orbital power-which brings the efficiency way down. 

Our best bet is to use fission reactors until fusion is developed, which has the potential to produce vast, clean power.  Both fission and fusion produce a lot of very useful heat, as well.

The nuclear threat is overplayed, too.  IAEA estimates put Chernobyl death tolls at ~1000.  While tragic, the event was wholly avoidable, and caused by incompetence, rather than the process of fission itself.  And this number of deaths is quite a bit below the death rates of many other common activities.

Three Mile Island resulted in no physical harm to anybody.  Not a single casualty.  A nuclear accident, rare as they are (2 major accidents in 50+ years), is manageable, and can be contained.

#3 2003-07-25 18:02:24

space_psibrain

Biomimicry

There is a new form of solar power being worked on using nature, specifically photosynthesis as a model. It has an efficiency of about 76-86% right now and is being worked on as we speak. Perhaps they will achieve the effiency of their photosynthesis itself: 95%

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#4 2003-07-27 18:50:11

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

I don't mean to be an party pooper but how was three mile island a major acident?  no one died as an direct or indirect cause of the accident.

A nuclear accident, rare as they are (2 major accidents in 50+ years),

If one was cherynobl, then what was the other?  I vaguely recall a accident in the 1950s at an miltary experimental reactor.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#5 2003-07-28 01:36:55

space_psibrain

yeah...there was that military breeder reactor that almost caused a nuclear explosion.

Three mile island is considered a major nuclear accident because it almost caused a meltdown i think.

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#6 2003-07-28 07:31:41

RobertDyck
Website

Three Mile Island did melt down.

#7 2003-07-28 09:11:02

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Three Mile Island did melt down.

Yes, I suppose that could be considered a major accident dispite the very limited amount of radiation released.  It was a accident, not an diaster as cherynobl was.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#8 2003-07-28 14:34:30

space_psibrain

ah yes...it all comes back now...

Board footer