New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-26 01:56:38

thrawn20

Re: Examine these pictures (WIERD ANOMALIES!!!) - Check this stuff out!

ob_18_mesa_p.jpg

look at the top  Quadrant...zoom in.....There are like 8 or so of these in malin. There hard to spot but they look like buried cities!

millions of miles of these on the planet. whatever the hell they are

mars_tunnel_lg.jpg

Martian Tower
http://paranormal.about.com/gi/dynamic/ … ...te=http

banyon trees on mars

who knows
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/s … ...-1.html

Then this stunning image from malin. I swear this could of been takin on earth. Look over it REAL CLOSELY. There are so many things wrong with it

http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/e07_e12 … ...841.gif

#2 2004-12-26 05:36:25

Shaun Barrett

Hi Thrawn20!
    First of all, welcome to New Mars.
    Secondly, it should be pointed out that New Mars isn't designed primarily as a discussion arena for alien intelligence hypotheses. Such discussion is tolerated as a secondary line of debate; the first order of business being the robotic and, preferably, human exploration of Mars with a view to colonisation. These are the aims of The Mars Society and New Mars is its forum.

Having said that, I know many people here are open-minded about searching for any evidence of past life, intelligent or otherwise, on Mars and elsewhere in the Solar System. Personally, I think it would be astounding to find hard evidence of such life.
    However, it's important that we don't read too much into low resolution images, and photos in which the pixels themselves form much of the detail.

Your first picture, containing one of several areas you say "look like buried cities", is a good example of the pixels becoming the features. Occasionally, nature can produce almost straight lines, even sets of parallel straight lines, which can sometimes coincide with the orientation of the pixel borders in an image. The pixels then accentuate and exaggerate the straight line effect - giving an erroneous impression of artificiality.
    I believe this is what we're seeing in your picture.

The so-called "Worms of Mars" and the "Banyan Trees" etc. have been discussed in other threads at New Mars. (You can find some of them using the 'search' facility.) While these features are intriguing and can look distinctly like artificial structures or vegetation, it's impossible to be certain what they are because Mars is an alien environment and we don't know what nature might produce there in the way of unfamiliar landforms.
    Given that Mars seems unlikely to have had clement conditions long enough for complex life-forms to develop, intelligent martians seem unlikely too. And, given the fact that those "Banyan Trees" are growing close to the South Pole, where temperatures of -100 deg.C aren't uncommon, it seems improbable that they could really be trees. It's been pointed out, also, that trees exist on Earth as part of a complex web of life, not in isolation. Why should Mars have enormous "Banyan Trees" but no other apparent life - no grasses, bushes, insects, etc.?
                                                ???
    That last picture you posted, though, is new to me and it shows some very peculiar details. But the lighting isn't good and it's very hard to know what we're actually looking at.
    I don't think it shouts artificiality and even the fine dendritic parts at the borders of the dark patches, while looking arguably plant-like, don't convince me we're looking at vegetation.
    I'd love to see higher resolution pictures of the same area in better light because it's such unusual terrain, but only because I'm curious and not because I think it has to be life.
                                                smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2004-12-26 05:44:28

Grypd

It could be simply the result of volcanism with wearing through atmosphere and wind erosion.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#4 2004-12-26 11:46:11

thrawn20

hi I was just pointing out anomalies that have been found.

(you should have a seperate forum)

dont worry.

#5 2004-12-31 17:02:59

Mad Grad Student
Website

No, no, no! Clearly those are bunnie rabbits! With big cotton tails and fluffy ears and little white whiskers sticking out! Don't you see them!
:laugh:

Okay, sorry, I guess that was kinda a mean introduction. Welcome to New Mars, just don't let your imagination be the death of you. cool

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

Board footer