New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-21 16:52:29

tmayes

Re: pop up mars ships with 20-100 ton masses - spacecraft for mars mission

1. Lets build a pop up mars ship that is launched
into earth orbit as the third stage of a chemical propelled
heavy lift vehicle. The mars ship will begin its journey
from earth orbit. It will use a solar sail, pr a solar electric
ion or plasma drive, or a nuclear electric ion or plasma
drive to carry from 2-7 people to another planet like
mars from orbit.

#2 2004-01-22 08:53:22

RobS
Banned
Website

Have you looked at existing plans, such as the NASA Reference Mission (which has a lot of masses of things)? "Designing" a spacecraft requires far more expertise than all of us on this Board.

-- RobS

#3 2004-01-22 17:03:56

GCNRevenger

Heck, i'd wager that there is not one collective entity anywhere on this planet that could design a Mars mission that would work starting tomorrow.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#4 2004-01-22 19:07:33

Josh Cryer

If I had funding I could. big_smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#5 2004-01-27 06:02:37

Shaun Barrett

Hmmm.
    GCNR wagers there is not "one collective entity" that could design a working Mars mission at present.

Curiously, Josh replies with: "If I had funding I could."

That Freudian slip was all I needed to work it out! At last, after all this time of suspecting it but never being able to prove it, there it is ...
     Josh is a COLLECTIVE ENTITY!!!

Like the Borg in Star Trek, Josh is an insect-like alien with a collective intelligence; a creature from a hive-like society!
    Admit it , Josh, and don't try powering up the NASA mind-control rays ... I never take off my metal helmet!!
                                       yikes   tongue   :;):

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2004-01-27 08:48:32

Palomar

Curiously, Josh replies with: "If I had funding I could."

That Freudian slip was all I needed to work it out! At last, after all this time of suspecting it but never being able to prove it, there it is ...
     Josh is a COLLECTIVE ENTITY!!!

Like the Borg in Star Trek, Josh is an insect-like alien with a collective intelligence; a creature from a hive-like society!
    Admit it , Josh, and don't try powering up the NASA mind-control rays ... I never take off my metal helmet!!
                                       yikes   tongue   :;):

*NASA-schmasa. 

It's those Dubya Persuasion Rays I'm worried about (and not relative to myself...I'm impervious to them).  Gotta watch for those; I hear they are particularly dangerous if one is 20 minutes north of home -- and near water!  yikes  Yes, the fronds of palm trees can be deceptive; they actually concentrate the Dubya Persuasian Rays (women in green blouses are immune, however)!  Time for a new helmet!

I'm beginning to wonder if my cat is an otherworldly entity disguised as a Terran creature to spy on us...the way he seems to hallucinate, and then there's that weird caterwauling... hmmmmm.

I'm not worried about Josh...(yet)...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-01-27 10:29:04

Byron

I'm beginning to wonder if my cat is an otherworldly entity disguised as a Terran creature to spy on us...the way he seems to hallucinate, and then there's that weird caterwauling... hmmmmm.

That reminds me of a time several years ago, when I was working in my backyard (which qualifies as a mini-jungle...lol) and I saw this curious black bug flying in the air in front of me.  Except this was no ordinary bug.  It would hover in one location (I mean hover in the exact same spot without moving at all) and then zip to another location nearby, traveling in straight lines and making 90-degree turns.  As if that wasn't enough to get my attention, the thing stopped about two feet directly in front of my face...and stayed there.  I honestly felt like I was being spied upon by a cleverly disguised probe...either alien or human (who knows what the CIA might have come up with...could they just be using me as a test subject??..hehe.)

Anyhow, I stared at the thing for a good couple of minutes, while it remained completely motionless in mid-air, and then it finally zipped away, again in the most mechanical fashion.  Life never ceases to amaze, huh?

#8 2004-01-27 11:15:21

Palomar

That reminds me of a time several years ago, when I was working in my backyard (which qualifies as a mini-jungle...lol) and I saw this curious black bug flying in the air in front of me.  Except this was no ordinary bug.  It would hover in one location (I mean hover in the exact same spot without moving at all) and then zip to another location nearby, traveling in straight lines and making 90-degree turns.  As if that wasn't enough to get my attention, the thing stopped about two feet directly in front of my face...and stayed there.  I honestly felt like I was being spied upon by a cleverly disguised probe...either alien or human (who knows what the CIA might have come up with...could they just be using me as a test subject??..hehe.)

Anyhow, I stared at the thing for a good couple of minutes, while it remained completely motionless in mid-air, and then it finally zipped away, again in the most mechanical fashion.  Life never ceases to amaze, huh?

*Byron, now you've got me concerned that some day I'll check an astronomy news source whose daily feature is a transmission from an extraterrestrial source -- a photo of you!  yikes

Hey...anything is possible, right? 

Actually, I have heard of spy gadgets (during the Cold War) created to resemble insects.  Trouble was, they were too lightweight and easily destroyed.  Actually, I rather suspect that is an urban myth...who (besides the Federal Gov't, so perhaps...?) would spend money on insect-looking spy devices which are easily upset, crushed (by annoyed humans or otherwise), etc.?

Now we are wildly off-topic.  :X

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer