New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-12 17:30:04

ERRORIST

Re: Hollow laser light?

Is it possible to creat a laser light with the center missing like in a "Life Saver"?? If the ruby lens was ground in such a way a hole would be right down the center.

#2 2004-03-12 17:52:25

GCNRevenger

Opticly, sure. Why would you want to? So you can start a fourth thread about the pipeline to the sky?

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2004-03-12 17:57:30

ERRORIST

Possibly, who knows what might be discovered on the way?
How far could a powerfull one go into space if it was emmited from earth? What would happen to the air in the hole in the center?

#4 2004-03-15 01:06:24

GraemeSkinner
Website

Unless you focus the beam extremely well the diameter of your laser tube would be considerably larger by the time it reaches space. You would also need a power supply suitable for driving the beam for prolonged periods of time. As to the inner portion of the light tube, would molecules not just pass through the walls, its only light after all.
Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

Board footer