New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-07-10 20:12:23

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

Re: Discover Magazine - July 2003 article

In this months issue of Discover magazine, there is an article on manned voyages to nearby star systems.  One of the primary sections is on long term life support and its recent developments.  Apparently, NASA is preparring a module (lab?) to test out a self contained atmosphere recycler.  I know tests have been done here on Earth using plants to regenerate oxygen for the crew.  I'm surprised that this has not been tried before on a the ISS or STS, but i suppose such and experiment would have been far too costly.

Anyway, check out the article.  It is nice to see people at NASA thinking big about near tearm activities, and bringing their ideas into the public spot-light (well sort of a spot-light anyway).

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#2 2003-07-10 21:28:49

Free Spirit
Banned

What were some of their ideas for recycling the atmosphere?  Did it involve the use of plants or other biological processes?

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#3 2003-07-15 12:14:14

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

why does it matter?  co2 is co2 and O2 is O2 regardless of where it came from. tongue

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#4 2003-07-15 16:46:38

Free Spirit
Banned

It matters to me.    :;):

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#5 2003-07-16 06:35:46

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

why? it is the same gas, is it not?

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#6 2003-07-17 19:02:59

Algol

Nasa have done a couple of tests, using individuals and small groups, but i think the one you are refering to involves a larger group and something like 2 years isolation time. And im pretty sure they are using biological processes - the samller scale runs did, they litterally just used plants, and they got a wealth of inforamtion out of it. Lets hope they have better luck than biosphere 2 (although im sure they arent attempting as complex an ecosystem as that), or the space station trails!

Board footer