New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-08-03 22:41:23

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Re: Aluminum/Oxygen

I know that there has been alot of work done at Johnson Space center at extracting oxygen from lunar regolith, but I was wondering if anyone had looked at extracting aluminum as a fuel so that you could produce both componets locally.

Could you cast a hallow aluminum core and use it as a hybrid motor with liquid oxygen, or prehaps a rocket engine that blows hyper-fine aluminum dust into the combustion chamber along with liquid oxygen.

#2 2004-08-03 23:11:38

GCNRevenger

The best idea i've heard of is to mix finely powderd oxide-free aluminum with a little bit of LOX to make a "slurry" that might be practical to use as a liquid fuel. It still will require a great deal of energy to break down Aluminum Oxide down into its componet elements and then have to grind & liquify them.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2004-08-04 05:20:30

bolbuyk

Beside that, I can´t imagine the isp of such an  engine is useful. The exhaust is a powder, so the Isp is low.

#4 2004-08-04 05:56:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

This has been the best resource that I have found to date on alternative fuel sources.

http://www.space-rockets.com/wspc.html

Board footer