New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-03 23:28:50

Hazer

Re: Valleys - What about canyons?

I have read that the atmospheric pressure on Mars is extremely low at "Sea level."  I wonder, what would the pressure be at the bottom of say-the Valles Marinas (I think thats how its spelt)

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#2 2003-11-04 05:55:25

Byron

Check out this fun little site: Air Pressure Calculator

All you have to do is to enter the pressure at "sea level," which is generally .007 (seven millibars), and enter .38 for the gravity, and then your altitude in meters.  By entering -5000 meters, which is the approximate elevation of Mariner Valley (I'm not too fond of Latin names...lol), and you'll get the equivalent air pressure for that altitude, which is almost 30% greater than at sea level.

Hope this helps!

B

#3 2003-11-05 01:45:32

Shaun Barrett

Hi Hazer!
    Byron's pressure calculator is great fun to play with.
    The actual situation on Mars varies a bit, though, due to the CO2 freezing and subliming on a seasonal basis.
    I read somewhere that at the deepest part of Hellas Basin, the pressure gets up to 12.4 millibars at times.
    Just thought I'd throw that in!
                                                   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer