New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-07 04:27:21

Rxke

Re: Update on Japans Reusable Launch Vehicle - Small-scale tests look promising

JAXA editorial

Been following this for some time, essentially they are doing tests with a subscale engineering model, each new test adds new stuff. (a bit like the American X-stuff things in the 50's, test it till it breaks, repair, then test some more. This way you learn a lot for little cost...) Eventually they want a bigger thing built, but money is a problem. But since all Japanese Space-Agencies merged into JAXA, they've been getting more and more attention.

#2 2003-12-07 07:01:13

Shaun Barrett

Yes, Rxke.
    It all looks very promising. I remember I found a website somewhere, about a year ago I think, which had a video clip of this research vehicle in flight.
    It's actually quite an impressive little machine when you see it doing its thing!

[If you ever come across the site, please give me the address so I can watch that little beauty again!
     Thanks.     smile   ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-12-07 07:51:45

Rxke

There's a thread on the RVT on a site that's down for the moment, and where (of course) i posted most of the links i found about it... sad

Here's a 2.1 Mb video of one of the latest tests (RVT-9)
Mpg Video Crank up your speakers!

I'll try and find some more...

#4 2003-12-07 07:56:46

Rxke

while we're at it... I like the way they do this thing. Virtually no funding, so they can only do 3-4 tests in a row. When testing is done, they go back to the drawingtables, and measurements they got so far... trying to figure out how to improve upon the concept.

Their test-sessions are very intensive, they do 4-5 launches in a week, with the same vehicule(!), because they are adamant a quick turn-around time is essential for future craft, so better start practicing the theory early on. Sweet.

I'll try and find the whitepaper on the RLV, it's quite interesting.

#5 2003-12-07 08:02:45

Rxke

Here the white paper:

on spacefuture site

And here, on the excellent Hobbyspace site: *Loads* of info:

ISAS RVT Stuff

(coincidentially... (well, not-really, i visit that site on a regular basis...) all links in this thread can ve found on the hobbyspace list, proof those people are quite thourough in their indexing)

#6 2003-12-18 08:54:06

Rxke

I want to highlight one of the nice articles on RVT from the Hobbyspace list... (Takes a while to start loading...)

The little spacecraft that could

They nick-named the machine 100-yen-onigiri! Refreshing to see a bit of modesty.

The article is interesting, really. The author says current space-programs are 'thinking wwrong,' he used to do so, too. And the initial lack of interest in the project is slowly changing to more and more people becoming convinced they're on the right track. Let's hope they keep getting funding to continue their success.

#7 2003-12-20 17:57:05

Shaun Barrett

Many thanks, Rxke, for digging out these links!   smile

Sorry I haven't returned to this thread for a short while, which explains my failure to respond earlier.
    I just love the attitude of these guys; so patient, purposeful and systematic in their thinking! And so focused on a sound commercial future.

Maybe, with them in the background, and ESA performing strongly, there may be 'life-after-NASA' after all!!
                                               big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2004-01-20 03:50:17

Rxke

A new interview with the man behind RVT, Yoshifumi Inatani, on the 
[http://www.hobbyspace.com/AAdmin/archiv … atani.html]Hobbyspace website.

IMO Hobbyspace is underrated,  it's an excellent site, gathering lots of info, for instance everyhing about X-Prize, RLV's etc...

#9 2004-01-21 03:30:14

Michael Bloxham

Hey BGD, love your new sig

Accdornig to a rseearcher at an Enlgsih Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Hehe, completely fluid! :laugh:

Y'know, it just occured to me, Japan doesn't have its own manned space program. Why is that? Maybe after the Chinese accomplishment Japan might consider investing a little more in the industry... But who am I to say? I've never given much thought... Perhaps Japan is too efficiency obsessed to see the merits of manned space flight? Pity, I bet they could do a great job! Definately show the Americans a thing or two... :;):

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

Board footer