New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-16 15:17:49

Yang Liwei Rocket

Re: Stars and planets need a little help please!

Could some one give me a little advice please

A friend of mine has just purchased one of the LX-90 Meade scopes, it was a second-hand model of the telescope for and he bought it for his family. However everything is not going so smooth  and it has come with no instructions.I have knowledge and know some stuff about planets and physics but know very little about star watching and telescopes.

We have had some resonably clear sky and are working in GMT time. A few nights ago it the weather was not too bad, and we tried to see if we could see anything in the Sky but nothing sadly ( Everything seems to be working maybe we have it set up wrong? the stand seems kind of weird ).
We have tried looking for Saturn but can't find it, hercules cluster no luck in finding, Andromeda can't seem to get this one either and Orion nebulae can't find this also. May it wasn't so clever to buy second-hand astro equipments

Does anyone here on this site have some advice on the best way to set up one of these scopes, or are the sky scences which we have searched for simply not visible now? What galaxy is visible now in the sky, and does any person know how to use the Lx 90 telescope to search for the stars?
What is the best method for a newcomer to search for the stars using this type of scope using meade lX90?

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online star chart which shows what is visible in the night sky during the month of may? I think we had a very Close Approach of Mars in 2003, can we still see mars in the sky in may of 2004 or will it have to be setember before we see a good view, can some one give me a little help please?

Thank you very much

Yang Liwei Rocket

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#2 2004-06-05 14:14:59

Dook
Banned

Re: Stars and planets need a little help please!

Don't know too much about your telescope.  I used to have a really neat program for my computer called Universe Explorer that you could punch in a date and time in and it would show where stars and constellations and other things were in the sky.  The internet should be able to help you.

Just remember that all the planets are on the same plane in the sky and the moon is 5 degrees off from that plane.

Board footer