New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-07-30 10:28:52

clark

Re: No Huamans to Mars anytime soon... - Space.com article re: future of Mars

http://www.space.com/news/mars_czar_020730.html

Dosen't look like the NASA leaders will be pushing for humans on mars anytime soon. It seems they would prefer to develop more of the neccessary technologies that make human space travel plausible and practical. It alsot seems they wish to be more prudent and collect more information regarding the compostion of mars and how the environement may affect the lives of future explorers.

Take a look at the article for yourself at Space.com

It is titled: Orlando Figueroa:  NASA's Mars Czar Gives a Status Report on Red Planet Plans

PS- not quite sure where this thread should go, so feel free to move it.

#2 2002-07-30 11:00:14

Mark S
Banned

I read that and I'm quite mad.  Whatever happened to Von Braun's vision of a man on Mars by 1983?  America has lost its will to dream and to accomplish the grand feats that would immortalize our culture. 

It will take nothing short of a discovery like life on Mars to get our stagnant space program to change course.  Say what you will about Richard C. Hoaglund; at least he's keeping people interested in Mars.  Polls show that only 35% or so of Americans want to put men on Mars.  When interest is so low, is it any wonder why Mars is so low on Washington's priorities list?

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#3 2002-07-30 11:20:31

Palomar

I read that and I'm quite mad.  Whatever happened to Von Braun's vision of a man on Mars by 1983?  America has lost its will to dream and to accomplish the grand feats that would immortalize our culture. 

It will take nothing short of a discovery like life on Mars to get our stagnant space program to change course.  Say what you will about Richard C. Hoaglund; at least he's keeping people interested in Mars.  Polls show that only 35% or so of Americans want to put men on Mars.  When interest is so low, is it any wonder why Mars is so low on Washington's priorities list?

*Oh yeah, I agree 100%.  The last really exciting thing to happen, IMO, regarding the space program [or what passes for the "space program" nowadays] was the unveiling of the first space shuttle...in frickin' 1976, when I was 11 years old.  I was 4 years, 2 months, and 2 days old on July 20, 1969...Apollo 11.  With the continuing Apollo missions, then Apollo-Soyuz in 1975 [which caught my interest, but was relatively boring even to me], and then with the space shuttle [which could more properly be called the orbiting shuttle], I thought we were quickly on our way to truly bigger and better things.  For the last 26 years we've had nothing but astronauts repairing or deploying satellites in orbit.  That's important, but compared to actual missions to other planetary bodies it's ho-hum whoop-de-do. 

I've been waiting a long time for NASA and the American people in particular to get a fuse lit under their rear-ends and get on to Mars.  I'm 37 years old now, 1976 seems like a VERY long time ago to me, and YES it does get frustrating.

I've also mentioned my disdain for America's "culture" as it currently stands, and has stood for far too long -- I call it the Age of Regurgitation and Stagnation.  Originality is basically dead in this nation.  And this is besides the damned terrorist threats and related crapola.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2002-07-30 11:27:52

clark

Polls show that only 35% or so of Americans want to put men on Mars.  When interest is so low, is it any wonder why Mars is so low on Washington's priorities list?

Why should the american public be interested in putting men on Mars? How does that improve their lives? Shouldn't we be happy as citizens of America that the politicans are realizing that Mars is a low priority to the american public and thus ignoring it, thereby representing their constutiencies interests? smile

Originality is basically dead in this nation.

Not quite dead, more like bought and sold for profit then mass marketed to recoup the investment capital. Rinse, repeat.

Now where did I put my boy band CD...

#5 2002-07-30 11:32:35

Palomar

Why should the american public be interested in putting men on Mars?

*I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't say Americans SHOULD be interested in putting people on Mars.  I'm just curious as to why they AREN'T.  But, then, the more pessimistic side of me knows the answer to that.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2002-07-30 14:08:53

GOM

I'm with Mark.  Our lack of a real manned space program is very frustrating.

#7 2002-07-30 14:30:43

nirgal
Banned

Mark

Wasn't it 1981? :0  But I fully agree with you that the stagnation of the american space program is very frustrating. Maybe china's space efforts will help to get things going again.
BTW: Where did you get that 35% figure?

#8 2002-07-30 20:23:28

Phobos

We seem to keep going through these phases of optimism and pessimism when it comes to Mars.  I think Congress just needs to stomp its foot down and order the people at NASA to get to it.  Hell, 2020 seems like an overly generous target date in my opinion.  Certainly we aren't that far behind technologically!  Sometimes I get the feeling some of these people in power are just naysayers and cynics regardless of the possibilities.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#9 2002-07-31 07:50:40

clark

We put people on mars, then what?

#10 2002-07-31 12:24:59

nirgal
Banned

Then we settle it. Mars is the new world.

#11 2002-07-31 19:53:44

Josh Cryer

nirgal, clark doesn't quite buy that. Don't blame him for not applying the Laws of Thermodynamics to economy, though. wink

There may be a space race. Although I'm not confident it'll happen any time soon, I still believe it will be between China and the USA. China's GDP doubles every 10 years. Or at least, that's the trend that economists are seeing. So it's only a matter of time before they flex their economic muscles and say they want to go to Mars.

Whether or not it will be a race or corporative effort, I can't really say. Hopefully it will be a corporative effort, since that basically signals peace between the big superpowers. But then again, I wouldn't mind getting to witness a Mars Race, ala the Moon Race.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#12 2002-07-31 20:42:06

Phobos

We put people on mars, then what?

We continue sending follow up missions so that we can setup something of a permament science outpost there that will engage not only in science experiments but engineering ones as well so we can better understand how to utilize the Martian resources and bring about the colonization of Mars.  If our species is going to survive with a high standard of living that sucks up energy and resources it'll be imperative that we learn how to develop extraterrestrial resources.  If we're only doing a one time trip to Mars and then forgetting about it, it won't be worth sending people to Mars.

#13 2002-08-23 15:14:15

Crossman

Hi people,
       This is my first post so please bear with me.  I'd like to add some Canadian perspective here. 
       Firstly, for the time being, there simply isn't going to be any space race.  China? Forget it.  The entire world seems only too willing to wait and see if America is going to Mars.  Canada, the Europeans, and the Russians will do studies for ever but not commit one real cent unless "America leads us".    sad And it is clear your leaders are quite comfortable with that.
      Those of us who want to see humanity moving out into the solar system had better get alot more creative.  We who want this to happen will have to devise ways to create our own constituancy in which we control the purse strings.  A muilti-national corporation of some sort that actually produces products people will invest in now, but that is owned by an organization that is commited to our goals, so that it can collect the profits.  I would like to have government programs do the work for us, but how many more years can we go on watching the date of the first manned mission recede indefinitly into the future.   ???

#14 2002-08-23 18:43:16

Phobos

Those of us who want to see humanity moving out into the solar system had better get alot more creative.  We who want this to happen will have to devise ways to create our own constituancy in which we control the purse strings.  A muilti-national corporation of some sort that actually produces products people will invest in now, but that is owned by an organization that is commited to our goals, so that it can collect the profits.

We definately need to get more creative with finding ways to finance spaceflight.  I don't believe governments will likely strive to make space available to the masses since there's little incentive for them to do that.  And on top of that, the current space programs seem to just spin their wheels and be perpetually 20 years away from their next major endeavour.
I'm hoping new technologies like the space elevator have a lot of early breakthroughs and become viable for business in the not so distant future.  Space will definately be a lot more exciting when private organizations can routinely embark on interplanetary flight.  I get the feeling it'll be awhile even though it's encouraging to see that there are a number of companies working on sub-orbital flights at least.  It's a start.

#15 2002-08-24 01:48:03

Merp
Banned

Hi people,
       This is my first post so please bear with me.  I'd like to add some Canadian perspective here. 
       Firstly, for the time being, there simply isn't going to be any space race.  China? Forget it.  The entire world seems only too willing to wait and see if America is going to Mars.  Canada, the Europeans, and the Russians will do studies for ever but not commit one real cent unless "America leads us".    sad And it is clear your leaders are quite comfortable with that.
      Those of us who want to see humanity moving out into the solar system had better get alot more creative.  We who want this to happen will have to devise ways to create our own constituancy in which we control the purse strings.  A muilti-national corporation of some sort that actually produces products people will invest in now, but that is owned by an organization that is commited to our goals, so that it can collect the profits.  I would like to have government programs do the work for us, but how many more years can we go on watching the date of the first manned mission recede indefinitly into the future.   ???

After doing some research on the net, I've been pleasantly surprised by 2 things

1) non-US government development in the space sector is tanglible and growing. ESA's Mars Express / Beagle 2, France's Netlander, Japan's Nozumi(sp?) and the Plantary Society's Cosmos Solar Sail project are all in the works right now.

Nasa is throwing money into a blackhole with the ISS at the moment. At the same time countries like China are developing a manned spaceflight capability while other agencies are targeting Mars with robotic science missions. The launch vehicle market is saturated at the moment, driving down prices. Russian infrastructure provides a cost-effective alternative to that in the US.

How long will it take the average US Congressman to realise that the US technical advantage is being eroded?

2) Nasa's Smaller, Faster, Cheaper approach is obviously not achieving our goals for human exploration, but it is providing an excellent scientific payoff. Does any one doubt that the confirmation of large permafrost deposits on Mars help our cause?

The highly successful Discovery and Scout class missions have introduced competitiveness into some parts of NASA operations. The New Frontiers program proposed by the administration will extend this to larger scale (<= $650m)missions. There is a problem, however, with this cheaper robotic approach to exploration of the solar system. As noted recently by the National Academy of Sciences, less money per mission means less technology development is achieved.

I'm all for NASA's scientific exploration of the Mars.

I have a question, however. If you are going to end up spending billions of dollars over 20+ years sending robotic missions to Mars, all the while NOT generating much public interest, culminating in a sample return mission,  why not just bite the bullet - Develop a manned mission architecture that not only achieves the science goals, but that also pushes technology and human endeavor forward.

It is frustrating, but perhaps in the long run the lack of US progress towards moving man out of LEO will allow other nations to start catching up, and inadvertantly reignite some vision and drive within the US government. I blame NASA for a lot of the current situation, but responsibility must be shared across all industrialised nations.

--Merp

#16 2024-03-17 16:51:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

What a dream it was 2 decades ago to be even thinking of going to mars.

Board footer