New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-17 17:42:28

jo-nathan7
Banned

Re: mars biological threat? - Germs here, there, everywhere?

I've got a question for discussion:
Let me first say I'm all for not only going to Mars, but establishing a permanent human settlement on the red planet. 
That said here is the Q- If we accept the idea that life did/ does exist on Mars, should we not consider the idea that simple life forms, say comparable to germs on our planet could also exist there?
Is it not possible that while exploring and reviving the Martian surface it might be possible to bring a microscopic biological threat out of hibernation?
Lets just say that if we aren't going check out such a threat , I would insist on NASA sending a large supply of aspirin along on the trip as well.

#2 2002-10-18 00:03:06

nebob2
Banned
Website

Every mission I've seen, including NASA's, includes biologists and analysis equipment. If a biological threat is detected and infects the crew, they would likely be left in quarinteen on the surface or in orbit when the returned.

I am not sure how compatible life on Mars would be to life on Earth, with only one example, it is hard to tell. We based all our modles on planet generation on our own system only to find the majority so far which are entirely different.

#3 2002-10-18 10:46:00

Ian
Banned

You should check out planetary protection at
http://www.spaceref.com/Directo....tection and see the different ways that people want to address these issues.

#4 2002-10-18 11:03:07

Adrian
Website

You might want to check out a previous thread on Mars Sample Return, in which we discussed the threat from putative Mars microbes.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#5 2002-10-21 12:22:28

Kasei
Banned

smile  smile  smile  smile Finally I am glad to be European. I may actually get into space with changing my nationality. Go ESA. Though I am pro-international missions. But who cares if the ESA are leading, I love Europe. Plus competition is a good thing.

#6 2002-10-22 12:59:26

clark

Human colonies on Mars will be in danger from earth organisms more than Earth people would be from martian organisms. By and large, the people that go off planet will be cleared of all biological organisms that cause disase. Once in space, they will more than likely have the most advanced medical technology and medicine available to them. They will, by neccessity, live in an environmnetally controlled and tempture regulated world, sterile.

Consider the long term effects of this environment, where disease is unknown- it invariably leads to a weaker immune system that will be unable to cope with terran born disease.

A common flu on earth could prove fatal on mars becuase the martians would be out of sync with developing alongside others the neccessary antibodies to fight the "common" flu.

Look at the Native Americans upon contact with Europe to get an inkling of what I am suggesting.

Board footer