New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-02 17:38:04

sethmckiness
Banned

Re: Wanting to help get people on Mars - Ways I can educate myself...

I am currently an E-4 in the Air Force, I work on Satellite Communcitions Equipment and have about 3 years worth of college.  I plan on staying in another 4 years to get bills paid off, then trying to get into a halfway decent school.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to lend a hand or educate myself (or finish my BS and start work on my grad degree in about 5 years)?

Also looking for good informative books to read.  They do not have to be easy to understand, I want to learn all the math behind the theory so I don't feel like an idiot when I read some of the posts.

right now I have a begining level knowledge of Geology, I had my in major requirement about halfway done, and I am a Journeyman level Communications maintainer.(actual career field is Satellite, Wideband, Telemetry, Instrumentation, and Space Systems Maintenance and Operation, say that three times fast.)

Well.  Thanks in Advance!

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#2 2002-10-03 17:53:15

Phobos

Which field specifically do you plan to get a degree in?

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-10-03 17:56:36

sethmckiness
Banned

I am looking at either physics or an EE that leans towards communications.
Might minor in Geology

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#4 2002-10-03 21:55:18

AltToWar

I am currently an E-4 in the Air Force, I work on Satellite Communcitions Equipment and have about 3 years worth of college.  I plan on staying in another 4 years to get bills paid off, then trying to get into a halfway decent school.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to lend a hand or educate myself (or finish my BS and start work on my grad degree in about 5 years)?

Also looking for good informative books to read.  They do not have to be easy to understand, I want to learn all the math behind the theory so I don't feel like an idiot when I read some of the posts.

right now I have a begining level knowledge of Geology, I had my in major requirement about halfway done, and I am a Journeyman level Communications maintainer.(actual career field is Satellite, Wideband, Telemetry, Instrumentation, and Space Systems Maintenance and Operation, say that three times fast.)

Well.  Thanks in Advance!

It would seem that the current hurdle in the way of getting people to mars is not a scientific one, but a political one at the moment.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -Henry David Thoreau

Board footer