New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-12 22:16:27

A.J.Armitage

Re: Booze of the Red Planet - An account

Aquavit: This vodka-like hard liquor was the first distinctively Martian drink. Less than a year after the first crew of settlers arrived, they ran out of the bourbon and vodka they had brought along, forcing them to improvise fermenting kitchen scraps and agricultural byproducts. They called the rather vile result of their first efforts pruno (see below). The heroic pioneers, undaunted, built a still and began producing a vodka-like distillate at around 80% alcohol. Cut with water to about 30%, it was named aquavit, the word used for hard liquor in Europe in the period following the introduction of distillation, from aqua vita, water of life. Various favored variations.

Noctis: Coffee beans are just the seeds inside the berries. The berries themselves are known as coffee cherries and also contain caffeine. In traditional Terran forms of coffee-growing, the cherries are discarded. On Mars, beginning with a religious settlement near Noctis Labyrinthus (the Neogathrist Pilgrims, who strongly emphasised frugality), uses were sought for the cherries by growers (some early examples still in use include Kophie Kola), but the most popular proved to be the wine-like Noctis. Named after its region of origin, it was originally required to be produced there to bear the name, like bourbon and champaign. Recently this convention has been abandoned, since the main advocates of it, the Neogathrists, died out following the High Prophet's endorsement of lifelong celibacy.

Pruno: Originally used as the first step in producing aquavit (see above), the arrival of Trey Webb, an experienced homebrewer, in M.Y. 8 lead to great advances in fermenting technique, eventually leading to a drinkable pruno. Still primarily produced from kitchen scraps and agricultural byproducts, which are sold to prunists rather than wasted, it was named pruno by the earliest settlers after the alcoholic beverage illicitly produced by American prisoners using primitive techniques akin to those initially used on Mars.

Thuj: High-proof distillate, as in uncut proto-aquavit, is steeped in wormwood (as in the Terran drink absinthe, but absinthe contains anise and other herbs not included in thuj), as well as Blue Lotus, guarana, valerian, peppermint, and others, and then distilled once again. This foul-tasting psychoactive liqueur is especially popular among students, artists, writers, and social dropouts, who form a subculture which began referring to itself by the old Terran word "bohemian" about ten years ago (causing a short-lived controversy with Czechan settlers). Banned after it first came into use, and was only allowed again after a wave of students went blind from a bad batch of black market thuj, and still retains an outlaw image. Named for thujone, a chemical found in wormwood.

Human: the other red meat.

#2 2004-03-12 22:17:40

A.J.Armitage

Please add your own.

#3 2004-03-12 22:19:57

Bill White

Hmmm....

I wonder what sweet potato vodka would taste like, made with gen-mod sweet potatoes with the asp-1 gene.

I will sleep on it and think up a name. . .

Edit: Just in case anyone thinks this is a wild tangent, click this link - - [http://spaceresearch.nasa.gov/docs/high … o_2003.pdf]NASA's gen mod sweet potato

= = =

Google is my friend. Soju - a Korean sweet potato vodka:

[http://www.barnonedrinks.com/tips/dictionary/s.html]http://www.barnonedrinks.com/tips/dictionary/s.html

= = =

Edit #2 - HOO-RAH, I really love google now.

Soju shall now be included in my Mars novel and perhaps during the next Mars Society convention we can arrange a trip [http://www.sojuchicago.com/Soju%20Style.htm]here!

Drinks - Soju Natural Blonde (Soju, Peach Schnapps, ginger ale, and lemon), the Soju Bloody Mary (made with a mixture of Wasabi and horseradish)

Homepage - [http://www.sojuchicago.com]http://www.sojuchicago.com

= = =

Marsian red soju will need a slight variation perhaps unless we can grow rice and barley as well as sweet potatoes:

soju is a traditional korean liquor distilled from rice, barley and sweet potato. soju has a light, crisp and clean taste similar to vodka. there are several types of soju each with a distinct flavour and, like all alcohol, pack a punch. soju is popular throughout asia and there are several soju bars in tokyo and taipei. soju is only recently available in the united states and RoHan is san francisco's first and premier soju bar. each of our unique cocktails are blended with the finest ingredients, fresh juices and soju and can stand alone or compliment RoHan's pan-asian cuisine.
So come and enjoy...the latest in lounge

#4 2004-03-12 23:50:04

A.J.Armitage

I just looked it up myself. Interesting.

Drink: the Double Impact.

First Impact: 1 shot Thuj

Second Impact: 2 parts Noctis, 1 part Soju, 3 parts lemon juice. Drink immediately after First Impact.

[http://landofsoju.netfirms.com/soju.htm]Another view of soju.

#5 2004-03-13 06:48:52

Yang Liwei Rocket

Setting up a Tavern on the Red Planet? Moonshine is a favourite in the old  west, pruno was used in jails, the people save the prunes when get with their meals ferment until it becomes alcohol and they drink it,  Dynamite Whiskey another very popular one, bosrum or bushrum was the Surinamese  illegal type-vodka, Irish old whiskey a strong potato-wine-moonshine Made outta methane nitrates and potatoe husks called poteen,  Icelandic white lightning was another strong one from Europe. Chinese samshu , shorgum and Japanese sake are other favourites. Ingredients are very important, remember that Mars does not have the great comforts of Earth, so try to establish a place where Barley or Yeasts can ferment is going to be a problem. Shipping supplies back and forth to Mars would be too costly

Would a bar catch on in Mars..who knows? Maybe the workers on mars will need a break from their hard work from day to day, build constructions, driving robotics, digging, mapping. The will need to also rest and relax. Setting up a drinking den is going to be hard, will they use billion dollar rocket-fuel to make Martian Vodka? Maybe they will have a thrist, and get fed-up with over-working. Stress and anger and over-working can drive workers crazy. It happened on MIR when the Russian space crew turned off their equipment and refused to talk to the ground Moscow crew for a few days.

A bar on mars would be funny, maybe even become a tourist attraction. But what kind of stuff can they use, and will they go blind from drinking something made from rocket fuel? Maize can be used to make alochol drinks, chicha made from germinated maize. Some of the old fire-water made in the west was made by bartenders, it saved them money instead of buying whiskey and rum from suppliers. Ingredients will be rare, plus there also the danger that measurements will be mixed up like they have been in the past, do we use feet or meters, the british tonne or the American ton, the litres or gallons. Put too much of one thing, large oranges, raisins,  sugar, too much dry yeasts and things will go wrong . Some ingredients of course will be missing crushed rye, starch  crushed barley malt. If they don't know what to put into that plastic martian barrel things will go wrong  and suddenly everyone is getting sick, bad for your mission.

[http://www.cardmagnets.com/TotalRecall/TRECALL052.JPG]http://www.cardmagnets.com/TotalRecall/TRECALL052.JPG

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#6 2004-03-13 08:32:02

Bill White

Yang Liwei, compared to the challenge of keeping the hydroponics or aeroponics running at acceptable levels, making booze will be childs play for the trained chemists who emigrate to Mars.

At least IMHO.

I suspect the quality of distilled spirits would soon prove quite good. (After some truly awful failures!)

The quality of fresh fruits and vegetables should be very good as well, often eaten within hours of being picked unlike weeks or months of being shipped around the world.

#7 2004-03-13 08:51:39

Cobra Commander

Red Planet Lager. Can't wait for the Super Bowl ads.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#8 2004-03-13 10:44:03

Bill White

Red Planet Lager. Can't wait for the Super Bowl ads.

At $10,000,000 per 12 oz bottle, they better be damn good ads! Although I suppose recipes that are popular on Mars could be locally brewed and bottled and sold based on brand identity appeal.

#9 2004-03-16 10:41:06

clark

As mankind wandered into the void filled starlit sky, he took with him the best qualities and hope of countless generations. Mankind also took the worst attributes and vices as well. Like rats on a ship to the new world, they followed where we led.

Following the successful colonization and continued settlement of Mars, it is hardly any surprise that one of the first cottage industries to arise was alcohol production. The manufacture of distilled spirits was only rivaled by the constant consumption of booze on Mars.

No one is quite certain why, but sometime after M.Y.08, the first chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous was established on Mars. Indeed, it was the first AA chapter outside of Earth. Yet even with support groups like this, and the prevalent danger that surrounds all on Mars, alcohol consumption continues to rise as a larger proportion of Martians take up drinking. This issue is compounded by the fact that Martians drink more heavily than any of their terran counterparts. No formal studies have been completed yet, but alcohol, and alcohol-related accidents, are generally perceived to be the number one killer of Martians.

Traditional Martian drinking verse:

I drank one for the Earth,
Parting is such sweet sorrow,
I drank one for the Moon,
Passing onwards to tommorrow,
To come and have this drink on Mars,
Hey fella, got anymore booze I can borrow?

Cheers!

#10 2004-03-17 01:35:41

A.J.Armitage

nation_1a.jpg

An early "historical clone" sets to work...

#11 2004-03-17 10:26:44

clark

Is her name still Carrie, or is the clones name "Temperance" now?  :laugh:

#12 2004-03-18 08:54:07

John Creighton
Website

Do you drink Clark?

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#13 2004-03-18 09:15:46

clark

I imbibe.  tongue  :laugh:

You trying to pick me up?

#14 2004-03-18 09:35:08

clark

Sancho’s Red Gold.

A cinnamon flavored clear liqueur with thin burgundy colored streaks floating mysteriously within the bottle. Legend has it that this concoction was invented by a  maverick hermit of Mars, Sancho Diego. Know one is quite sure how, but Sancho managed to set up a boot-leg distillery somewhere out in the badlands of the Martian plains. Every year, he would disappear into the Martian sandstorms, returning from who knows where, with yet another batch of his Red Gold liqueur. Though Sancho never returned from his last foray into the Martian dust storms, the recipe for Sancho’s Red Gold has been discerned by some rather motivated chemists who had grown fond of it’s distinctive look and flavor. However, there has been more than one adventuress soul who has gone looking for the lost distillery, and the last batch of original Sancho’s Red Gold, but none yet have been successful.

#15 2004-03-20 04:07:54

Alt2War

the creation of alchoholic beverages is not rocket science.  Making somthing good is whole other story.  But as long as there is a means of sanitation, alchohol creation will be no problem.  It will be done.

I used to make beer in my kitchen. wink

#16 2004-03-22 13:49:59

Earthfirst

No booze just hard work, worship god, like the puritens did in america. No wicths ethier.

I love plants!

#17 2004-03-22 15:01:52

A.J.Armitage

Don't be dissin my boys the Puritans.

Every town in colonial Mass. was required by law to have at least one tavern. The reason they stopped so far north instead of going to Virginia like intended is that they ran out of beer and needed to land so they could brew more. Earlier, in Europe, John Calvin's salary included several hundred gallons of wine a year.

#18 2004-03-23 07:16:41

clark

And I'm sure none of that had anything to do with all those witch burnings either...  roll

Nice little life lesson here too:

The reason they stopped so far north instead of going to Virginia like intended is that they ran out of beer and needed to land so they could brew more.

Don't look for someplace better. Drink, and everything will just look better. Or, how does the old line go? "Drink till she's cute." :laugh:

Is there anything those Puritans can't teach us? Nah.

#19 2004-03-23 20:45:14

A.J.Armitage

Oh, I don't know... I think "don't drink possibly tainted water" is a pretty good life lesson, personally.

#20 2004-03-24 05:37:09

Byron

Don't look for someplace better. Drink, and everything will just look better. Or, how does the old line go? "Drink till she's cute." 

Is there anything those Puritans can't teach us? Nah.

So that's why the college kids don't bother coming all the way south to Ft. Lauderdale anymore for their annual spring bacchanal...lol...they'd hate to miss out on those precious extra hours of drinking time.... :laugh:

No biggie, though...that's how us "natives" like it...hehe...

B

#21 2004-03-24 15:32:07

clark

I think it's the flying roaches Byron.

"Florida, that's America's wang."  :laugh:

#22 2004-03-24 15:59:19

Cobra Commander

So that's why the college kids don't bother coming all the way south to Ft. Lauderdale anymore for their annual spring bacchanal...

Ah, memories...  cool

Yes Clark, you're right on both counts.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#23 2004-03-24 16:01:44

clark

Ah, memories.... and the lack there of.  big_smile

The stories we all might regale one another with, always told by the sober third party...

#24 2004-03-24 18:26:45

Bill White

Ah, memories.... and the lack there of.  big_smile

The stories we all might regale one another with, always told by the sober third party...

All the things we like to say we did, whether we actually did them or not. . .

#25 2004-03-25 10:58:01

clark

Eh? What do you mean?

Board footer