New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-10 23:07:15

Bill White

Re: Wi-Fi on Mars - Lots of great possibilities

I just saw this link. I had been wondering about this for about a year but never posted anything that I recall. Maybe someone else has.

Anyways, embed wi-fi capable microchips just about everywhere. Create a seemless, high bandwidth LAN and with distributed parallel processing MarsOne will have one powerful computer.

Wi-Fi On Mars?

Well, they?ve been putting hotspots everywhere else. San Mateo, Calif.-based Tropos Networks reports that NASA has successfully tested its 5510 Wi-Fi Cell equipment at a research site in Arizona?s Meteor Crater, where the agency tests technologies for interplanetary deployment.

With the increased use of remote instruments in interplanetary exploration, most notably the small, mobile Sojourner rover deployed with the Mars Pathfinder mission, NASA is evaluating ways of networking several devices operating within a relatively short range of a landing site ? which sounds a lot like a Wi-Fi hotspot.

The Tropos technology would create a Wi-Fi mesh connecting everything at the site, including Wi-Fi adapters embedded in astronauts? spacesuits, as well as instruments, sensors and mobile computers. In the Arizona tests, NASA engineers successfully established reliable 1 Mbps links at a distance of 1.3 miles from the ?base camp? to a laptop in a moving vehicle with no external antenna. This was the first time NASA has tested Wi-Fi as a potential networking technology for planetary exploration

#2 2003-12-12 19:30:31

sethmckiness
Banned

Re: Wi-Fi on Mars - Lots of great possibilities

embedded wifi could be a good idea.  Especially as the technology increases alowwing for higher throughput.  The standard for Digital voice is an 8 khz PCM encoded digital signal that takes up 64 kbits/s  so it would leave bandwidth for suit telemetry and maybe a linkable heads-up display or a cam back to base to record movements.  I could also see this used with a wifi connection on a rover then either a sat-link or LOS link to main base.   By that time their should be a few geosynch sats on orbit, but I digress.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

Board footer